Around the NHL #17, the 18/19 on-season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Should we start a FA Frenzy thread or just use this one?
I think an FA frenzy thread is better for posterity.

EDIT: I have created the thread. Please use that thread instead of this one for FA stuff. I'd prefer to be able to keep this thread open for appropriate news and notes unrelated to FA.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Yakupov has signed with SKA St. Petersburg of the KHL. Feel bad for him with how his NHL career panned out

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I just feel bad in the sense that it is eye-opening how inexact scouting is. This guy was supposed to be the best player in the draft.

Aug 3, 2010
I just feel bad in the sense that it is eye-opening how inexact scouting is. This guy was supposed to be the best player in the draft.
According to some on the main boards, Bennett is a bust as a bottom-six player at 4th overall.

I maintain that the Oilers and Dallas Eakins in particular ruined him.
He probably should have had a career as a middle-six scoring option. Not a "complete" player but at least like a Michael Ryder-esque shooter.

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
It’s the Senators and it’s not particularly close... Now they have to watch their Captain get traded because he can’t play there and have the worst owner in the big 4 sports...
As a life long Sens fan, I agree. I can't even read the news anymore, Melynk has turned my 2nd favorite team into a gong show.

Reactions: Flames Fanatic

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
Same here bud. It's been a rough going. I thought Alfie was going to be the worst we had to deal with not long ago.
Karlsson is one of my favorite players from his generation. It was amazing what him and Anderson did when they pulled the team to the ECF in game 7. I'll never forget it, I was at Fenway in Boston and the game ended. I ran to closest bar to watch the OT. Obviously they lost, but I was pretty proud of how hard they played against the Pens. f*** Melynk, I mean i get they have issues being the small dog to TO and arena location, but he's still unraveled that team to the point where I'm honestly hoping they move.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Islanders easily. Everyone knew the Sens & Melnyk were a joke for years while Sens fans buried their head in the sand and defended Scrooge McGene

Past 20 years, they've been out of the playoffs 5 times, 1 cup appearance, 2 East finals, 4 second round appearances.
In that same span we've missed 12 times, with 1 cup appearance and 1 second round appearance. Not sure we should be throwing any kind of stones in our glass house. Unless that Stone is Mike, and we're trading him for picks. There was a time we thought we'd be leaving Calgary too and there was a lot of uncertainty.

Everyone's pointing and laughing at this franchise and fanbase; I thought you were vehemently against ganging up?

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
What a humiliating offseason so far for the Islanders. Lose Tavares for nothing, replace him with Filpulla, sign Komarov to 4 years, now trade for Matt Martin... at least the draft was good to them.

The draft looks promising for them.
I don't believe in pegging a draft 'good' or 'bad' until much later.

Remember 2013 when we were really patting ourselves on the back? We got a 1C, a top 6 speedster, a middle 6 complete centre alone in the first round? We added a good depth muscle D in the second round and some high upside high risk picks later in the draft? Even GMs were applauding our draft.

Turns out we added 25% of the first round to our team, and only really got two significant NHL'ers :laugh:

Lunatik

Normal is an illusion.
Oct 12, 2012
Padded Room
Past 20 years, they've been out of the playoffs 5 times, 1 cup appearance, 2 East finals, 4 second round appearances.
In that same span we've missed 12 times, with 1 cup appearance and 1 second round appearance. Not sure we should be throwing any kind of stones in our glass house. Unless that Stone is Mike, and we're trading him for picks. There was a time we thought we'd be leaving Calgary too and there was a lot of uncertainty.

Everyone's pointing and laughing at this franchise and fanbase; I thought you were vehemently against ganging up?
I have hated the Senators for more than 20 years, who am I to stop others from joining something I have thought forever.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane

As someone who has fought with him on this topic, trust me when I say it's not worth it. He hates them for tanking for Daigle and is stubborn as a mule.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
As someone who has fought with him on this topic, trust me when I say it's not worth it. He hates them for tanking for Daigle and is stubborn as a mule.

Essentially, is every team in the league hated then?
Everyone has tanked, some teams just do it more blatantly than others. We tanked in 2013/2014. We just were terrible at it. We were meant to tank in 2014; but we couldn't figure out how to do it properly and instead ran with PDO to an improbable playoff run.

Lunatik

Normal is an illusion.
Oct 12, 2012
Padded Room
Essentially, is every team in the league hated then?
Everyone has tanked, some teams just do it more blatantly than others. We tanked in 2013/2014. We just were terrible at it. We were meant to tank in 2014; but we couldn't figure out how to do it properly and instead ran with PDO to an improbable playoff run.
Their owner at the time actually asked players to throw games at the end of the season. But there is also a difference between being bad and not trying to be competitive, the Flames never tanked, they were legitimately bad and still tried to compete, only once did the Flames sit healthy players to dress lesser ones (and I was fuming about it).

Lunatik

Normal is an illusion.
Oct 12, 2012
Padded Room
Baffling.

Surely they're not going to torpedo EK's value by anchoring Ryan to him in a trade?
I think it is more Ottawa refusing to take salary back. My guess is Ryan Callahan will be involved for cap reasons. I could also see Johnson, Killorn or Palat involved for cap reasons. So I could see futures to Ottawa from Tampa, Johnson to a 3rd team and those futures to Ottawa

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->