Around the NHL #15 - Ovie is Not a Choker Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
You guys are crazy, Galchenyuk has a 30 goal season playing in Montreal’s 3/4 lines. Domi is decent, but given the chance to succeed gally can be a real offensive driver
That is simply not true. When Gally scored 30 he was tied for 3rd in ES TOI/GP among forwards and 4th in PP TOI/GP (just 8 seconds per game behind #3 and considering Gallagher missed about 30 games, it's a safe bet that Gally has a decent amount of time on the top PP unit)

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Domi is a little better than Galchenyuk, but to call him a multi-dimensional winger is a crime to actual multi-dimensional wingers. He's pretty one dimensional himself if you ask me. No eye test will ever change my mind.
The fact he is a playmaker and willing to drop the gloves proves you don't know what the prefix multi means

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
From my viewings of the players, Domi is better. Over the last 35 games, Domi looked more impressive than Keller. He’s very fast, highly skilled and plays in your face. Gally is a very good talented player to, but what bothers me about him is he will show flashes of great play, and then he disappears for stretches but show lots periods of not being engaged whatsoever.

I’d place my money on Domi having the better career. He and Gallagher are going to be a fun line.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Who exactly has won with Domi lately? I feel like, especially with the last three Stanley Cup champions, these types of sentiments should be getting phased out. You win with good players who gel together. You win with Phil Kessel. You win with Nicklas Backstrom. Meanwhile there are plenty of Sam Bennetts stuck on basement teams around the league.

I agree that Galchenyuk is the better talent. I feel like Domi only really saved face last year with a late-season push a la Joe Colborne. I think he has the potential to be one of those guys who never lives up to his rookie season, but we'll see. I've never really seen a whole heck of a lot from the guy, whereas I've seen some great flashes from Galchenyuk over the years, and if nothing else he has a Hoffman-esque shot from the right circle.

Washington doesn’t win that cup with without Oshie, Wilson and Ovi; guys who put it all out there every single shift. I do think Galchenyuk is the superior offensive talent; but I think Domi is more of a complete package.

There’s room for both on hockey teams, I think montreal lacks a lot of character though; and he’ll go a long way. Guys like Gally, Drouin, Patches, etc etc are all of the same prototype.

MDCSL

Jun 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
That is simply not true. When Gally scored 30 he was tied for 3rd in ES TOI/GP among forwards and 4th in PP TOI/GP (just 8 seconds per game behind #3 and considering Gallagher missed about 30 games, it's a safe bet that Gally has a decent amount of time on the top PP unit)

Domi was 3rd for TOI for forwards on his team this year, he averaged 2:36/game on the PP posting an insanely bad 1goal 8 assist and he managed to put up a whole 9 goals in the season 4 of which were empty netters.

You just said given the exact same opportunities Galchenyuk is a 30 goal scorer, and given that gally is bigger, faster, has better hands and only one year older I don’t see how anyone can think domi is comparable let alone better

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
There's also the fact that Galchenyuk was doing what he was doing in what appears to be a pretty toxic locker-room environment in Montreal, where you had GMs and coaches constantly undermining their own players.

Imagine if Bill Peters was to come out during a summer golf event and say something like "well, it's pretty obvious that Sam Bennett can't hack it in the NHL as a centre," or if Treliving last week had responded to the leadership question by saying "yeah, we definitely don't have the best leaders, and that's been holding us back." That's essentially the stuff that Montreal has been synonymous with over the last few years.

Domi still has a ton to prove in this league after what happened last season. And I don't think he's going to a place where it will necessarily be easier for him to prove himself (see Drouin, too). Galchenyuk has a 30-goal season in his back pocket, and I think he definitely is going to a place where he'll be more comfortable and more able to focus on his play.

Reactions: Mobiandi

CamPopplestone

Sep 27, 2017
I still think it's a win/win tbh. Gally is more of a shooter, but still can pass, and despite what Montreal says, I think he's actually better at centre. He is good at going up the middle and making things happen.

Domi doesn't really like to shoot, but he's really good at passing, and finding people in good shooting positions. He's also pretty tenacious on the puck. Given Montreal had a lot of players have their shooting percentage drop this year, Domi seems like a player that might jump start a lot of their guys.

I don't think there's a clear winner at this point in time. I think each team got the type of player they could probably use.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
As funny/sad as this is, Washington can still re-hire Trotz, but with a new contract and not an extension.

The Flames also had a small window to get "their guy" so that process excluded other potentially available candidates. Hope it was worth the risk.
From the details coming from Friedman, they have already tried to negotiate a new extension, but were unable to come to terms.

CamPopplestone

Sep 27, 2017
I'm guessing Washington didn't want to commit long term either, because they have really good assistant in the wings. I don't think this is bad blood. It just strange, it doesn't make sense for Trotz to accept below market value after winning the cup, but it doesn't make sense for Washington to commit huge to him and lose their future guy they've groomed.

As long as they're willing to pony up the cash, you gotta think Islanders, as they are the only team currently without a coach.

Though Edmonton would be smart to call him, ask what it would take to bring him in, can Todd and immediately sign Trotz.

CamPopplestone

Sep 27, 2017
Maybe Kane and Hoffman cancel each other out? Or maybe they've just decided goals will let people get over it?

Either way, Sharks pounced. I actually don't hate Boedker as much as some seem to, but skill wise, clear upgrade. Sharks aren't afraid to make moves, got to give them that.

Imagine if it turns out Hoffman's girl is innocent, then Karlsson still doesn't sign an extension in Ottawa?

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Washington doesn’t win that cup with without Oshie, Wilson and Ovi; guys who put it all out there every single shift. I do think Galchenyuk is the superior offensive talent; but I think Domi is more of a complete package.

There’s room for both on hockey teams, I think montreal lacks a lot of character though; and he’ll go a long way. Guys like Gally, Drouin, Patches, etc etc are all of the same prototype.

The caps also don't with without Kuznetsov either.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
No one is arguing that. You need top end talent and meat and potatoes guys. You need a balance
That isn't what the statement "those are the guys you win with" implies. That statement implies that guys like Max Domi are more of a factor in a team winning than guys like Galchenyuk. I find that silly, because you can find guys of both ilks on teams at the bottom and top of the standings.

Max Domi is more of a guy you win with if and only if he becomes a better hockey player than Alex Galchenyuk. He has a ton to prove to me before I believe that's true.

Reactions: Flames Fanatic

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
That isn't what the statement "those are the guys you win with" implies. That statement implies that guys like Max Domi are more of a factor in a team winning than guys like Galchenyuk. I find that silly, because you can find guys of both ilks on teams at the bottom and top of the standings.

Max Domi is more of a guy you win with if and only if he becomes a better hockey player than Alex Galchenyuk. He has a ton to prove to me before I believe that's true.

I think it's that they'll be playing the same role to be honest.
Yes. Clearly a guy like Kessel means more than a guy like Wilson, even if Wilson is labeled in that 'you win with this guy'. But one guy's also an elite RW and the other is a 3rd liner/4th liner on a good team.

Domi and Galchenyuk are both top 6 wingers, and that's really all it is. You traded a scorer with flash for a playmaker with a lot of grit. Both guys look like they're in the same bracket in terms of scoring, so these are lateral trades where character would be something you could factor in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad