Around the NHL #15 - Ovie is Not a Choker Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Oh man that's rich, and even sweeter that Russell is making 4 million per. That is an absolutely awful deal no matter how good he is. The Oilers better hope McDavid scores 150pts a season, because that's how he's getting paid.

The Oilers will always now be built around Talbot, Larsson, McDavid and Leon and Russell. All else will be complimentary pieces. This pretty much means Maroon will not be back. Oh yeah and wait until Lucic declines hard. The Bruins are just getting out of cap hell, and it seems like the Oilers are just entering it.

L13

Oct 1, 2015
I think the McDavid deal is fair and something Chiarelli should have anticipated. It's those atrocious Lucic and Russell deals that will hamstring the team, not McDavid taking top-dog money as the top dog in the league. That's just how it is; you gotta be smart about assembling a team around him, not trust he's going to leave 40M on the table so you can blow it all on Lucic and Russell.

It's funny that the Oilies are losing their minds over McDavid's supposed greed instead of questioning the wisdom of using the cap space freed up in the Eberle deal on Kris Russell mere days earlier.

I'd be surprised if Draisaitl were offer-sheeted, though. No one offer-sheeted Kucherov last year, and he's a slightly better player who could have been had for slightly less IMO. The league is too boring and caught up in observing useless codes of conduct for offer-sheet shenanigans nowadays. I'd love to be wrong, though.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I think the McDavid deal is fair and something Chiarelli should have anticipated. It's those atrocious Lucic and Russell deals that will hamstring the team, not McDavid taking top-dog money as the top dog in the league. That's just how it is; you gotta be smart about assembling a team around him, not trust he's going to leave 40M on the table so you can blow it all on Lucic and Russell.

It's funny that the Oilies are losing their minds over McDavid's supposed greed instead of questioning the wisdom of using the cap space freed up in the Eberle deal on Kris Russell mere days earlier.

I'd be surprised if Draisaitl were offer-sheeted, though. No one offer-sheeted Kucherov last year, and he's a slightly better player who could have been had for slightly less IMO. The league is too boring and caught up in observing useless codes of conduct for offer-sheet shenanigans nowadays. I'd love to be wrong, though.

Here's why I think the Offer-sheet might be valid this time around. Just because he signs an offer-sheet doesn't mean he's going to play there, it just means Edmonton has to match some bad money.
Leon just watched two players just cash out on his team. Like Russ isn't a 4x4 player; McDavid deserves to be the highest paid player in the league based on potential; but at 13+ he didn't do any team favours.

If Chia's going 'Well, Leon, we think you're worth 8 million a year." he could literally sign on about 10-15 teams that'd be happy to have him at 9.8 without thinking twice. In the NHL, players still make the majority of their money on contract; so 8 vs 9.8 is a big difference.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I don't understand why you'd expect any team to be willing to throw Draisaitl ~$10M. There's exactly 5 players who make over $9M in the league. Four of them have won multiple Cups, and the fifth is arguably the greatest goalscorer of all time.

Why would a team commit that much cap to a player who has never been a) on a winning team or b) the best player on his team? I get trying to screw the Oilers, but they could end up shooting themselves in the foot if Chia calls their bluff (though either way it hurts the Oilers).

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
I don't understand why you'd expect any team to be willing to throw Draisaitl ~$10M. There's exactly 5 players who make over $9M in the league. Four of them have won multiple Cups, and the fifth is arguably the greatest goalscorer of all time.

Why would a team commit that much cap to a player who has never been a) on a winning team or b) the best player on his team? I get trying to screw the Oilers, but they could end up shooting themselves in the foot if Chia calls their bluff (though either way it hurts the Oilers).

Some GM will buy into the hype. Look at Montreal, they've needed a #1 C for years. And other then Sergachyev, who else have they produced with their first rounders?

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
Vegas could do it. They not only have the cap space but McPhee is dumb enough to pay Draisaitl 10m

While we're at it? No way McChequebook is worth that high of a cap hit. Having him locked down for eight years would be good if they were paying him a non-laughable amount; this is just a handcuff contract.

Last edited:

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Some GM will buy into the hype. Look at Montreal, they've needed a #1 C for years. And other then Sergachyev, who else have they produced with their first rounders?

Exactly. Montreal giving up four first rounders for Draisaitl is so perfectly in-place. They have nothing to lose and everything to gain. Adding a guy like Draisaitl, if nothing else, lets them hang on to Carey Price as it shows a step in a perceived competitive direction.

And I don't even think Draisaitl is a 1C, he was totally carried by Taylor Hall as a center and played RW all last year in full Galchenyuk fashion.

Last edited:

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
While we're at it? No way McChequebook is worth that high of a cap hit. Having him locked down for eight years would be good if they were paying him a non-laughable amount; this is just a handcuff contract.

Are you kidding? Of course he's worth it. The dude is going to be 20 next season and he's already contending for best player in the world. He didn't give the Oilers any discounts, but a 13 million dollar contract would be fair value for him.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012

How many teams out there would like a physically large, 77 point player, at 21 who has the potential to be a 1C in this league for the next 10-12 years? You trade cap for success.

I look at teams like:
Arizona, Vancouver, Nashville, Montreal, Jersey, Carolina, Florida, Ottawa, Detroit, Vegas, NYI, St Louis

They'd all be willing to pay an extra 2-3 million dollars, on what I believe that player is worth, for the chance at getting a top line C. A lot of these teams haven't had a true 1C in a long time.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
You have to think there's a big possibility RNH gets moved for pennies on the dollar if Draisaitl gets more than 7m

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Problem with Draisaitl is that a lot of his success has come alongside either Hall or McDavid. Away from those those two, his numbers are nothing special.

But the exception is his playoffs, in which he was terrific.

So, it's a legitimate question whether he's a bona fide number one center that can carry his own line. But if the Oilers want to give him 10M a season because they think he's the next Malkin, well then, all the power to them.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Problem with Draisaitl is that a lot of his success has come alongside either Hall or McDavid. Away from those those two, his numbers are nothing special.

So, it's a legitimate question whether he's a bona fide number one center that can carry his own line. But if the Oilers want to give him 10M a season because they think he's the next Malkin, well then, all the power to them.

I think a team like Jersey or Montreal is like:
"We can put him beside Hall (literally) and get this production." or:
"We can put him beside Patches or Drouin and get this production."

May 27, 2012
Earth
Vegas could do it. They not only have the cap space but McPhee is dumb enough to pay Draisaitl 10m

I disagree. He's definitely worth it, just that he's not willing to take a huge discount.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
McDavid is worth the max by his off ice presence alone. Merchandise, brand appeal, sponsorships, etc.; make no mistake, 13.25M is actually a discount on his part for what his name generates in revenue for the Oilers.

That being said, one player can't carry a team anymore. And paying two players 20M+ makes it awfully hard to win in this league unless the organizations drafting and development is out of this world. So if this rumor is true and Draisaitl ends up signing for 7.5M or more, the Oilers real cup window might not open until the cap reaches 90M+.

I think a team like Jersey or Montreal is like:
"We can put him beside Hall (literally) and get this production." or:
"We can put him beside Patches or Drouin and get this production."

New Jersey makes sense. The Habs would be interesting if they're paying Price and Draisaitl 20M combined.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012

I actually think Taylor Hall is the most overrated hockey player in the entire league. Draisatl is legit though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad