Around the NHL #15 - Ovie is Not a Choker Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Except he didn't fetch a first, he was packaged with a 2nd round pick that fetched the last pick in the first round.

Yup. Not sure why that misconception is being proliferated so much. Reaves fetched a 20-spot bump in a draft where 20 spots didn't make a huge difference to a lot of scouts.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Except he didn't fetch a first, he was packaged with a 2nd round pick that fetched the last pick in the first round.

And Oskar Sundqvist, a guy who likely tops out as a 4th liner like Reaves. Terribad trade, but the Methot one manages to outdo this one

Lunatik

Normal is an illusion.
Oct 12, 2012
Padded Room
And Oskar Sundqvist, a guy who likely tops out as a 4th liner like Reaves. Terribad trade, but the Methot one manages to outdo this one
Reaves may just be a 4th liner, but he's an "elite" 4th liner, Sundqvist IMO will never be that good. The Blues liked Reaves enough to protect him in the expansion draft. So Pittsburgh had to pay to get him out of there. It's like how we got a 2nd for Berra, he wasn't worth it but Colorado had to make it worth our while. And like AS pointed out, a 20 spot bump in this particular draft, wasn't a large bump since everyone was ranked so closely together.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Not exactly sure what McPhee is doing right now.
I think he ****ed the league, and now the league is ****ing him back. He assembled a terrible expansion team, while leaving legitimate young top 4D with upside on the table for draft picks and scraps.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Not sure why BT is not calling McPhee. The guy is a fool

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary

giphy.gif

Bosnian Beast

Formerly Janko Unchained
Dec 30, 2010
Lethbridge, AB
Ah wow, I see now. Chia is truly a great negotiator.
McDavid: "$14 million for five years"
Chiarelli: "$10 million for eight years"
McDavid: "$13.25 million for eight."
Chiarelli: "Deal."

*Peter Chiarelli GM of the year 2018*

Now if someone offersheets Draisaitl for $10 million, that would be b e a u t i f u l.

Aug 3, 2010
13.25?! No hometown discount I guess.

It's only going to be worth it if they win a Cup - not that that's impossible, but to say a contract of that size doesn't complicate things on the cap management side of things would be ignorant. While the rumoured contract will take up around the same % of the cap as when Crosby signed his 12-year 104m contract, even Crosby has only won two Cups and any comparable team with large star contracts such as Chicago, L.A., and Pittsburgh basically have had to up their prospect development in order to fill out/maintain their roster at a competitive level for the playoffs.

If Draisaitl signs anything over 6m as a cap hit, that's literally Chicago-esque levels of money signed to two players, plus other stars being paid - except Chicago won before they started paying their players.

The next decade and a half should be very interesting as an Alberta hockey fan.

Bosnian Beast

Formerly Janko Unchained
Dec 30, 2010
Lethbridge, AB
It's only going to be worth it if they win a Cup - not that that's impossible, but to say a contract of that size doesn't complicate things on the cap management side of things would be ignorant. While the rumoured contract will take up around the same % of the cap as when Crosby signed his 12-year 104m contract, even Crosby has only won two Cups and any comparable team with large star contracts such as Chicago, L.A., and Pittsburgh basically have had to up their prospect development in order to fill out/maintain their roster at a competitive level for the playoffs.

If Draisaitl signs anything over 6m as a cap hit, that's literally Chicago-esque levels of money signed to two players, plus other stars being paid - except Chicago won before they started paying their players.

The next decade and a half should be very interesting as an Alberta hockey fan.

Crosby has won three cups, not two.

Anyway, even with the percentage argument, it is still a difference of over $4 million/season in cap space. I think Chia made a mistake signing Russell to a 4x4 instead of locking up Draisaitl and McDavid first. Now with McDavid's deal seemingly set, not only is Chia now having to worry about signing Draisaitl with less than $10 million in cap space (iirc), he has to worry about teams offer sheeting Leon for over an $8 million cap hit. I think Edmonton would be lucky if Draisaitl gets under $8 million, but that team is going to be handcuffed when it has over $20 million locked up in two players, and around another $10 million for non-core pieces like Lucic and Russell.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary

Anyway, even with the percentage argument, it is still a difference of over $4 million/season in cap space. I think Chia made a mistake signing Russell to a 4x4 instead of locking up Draisaitl and McDavid first. Now with McDavid's deal seemingly set, not only is Chia now having to worry about signing Draisaitl with less than $10 million in cap space (iirc), he has to worry about teams offer sheeting Leon for over an $8 million cap hit. I think Edmonton would be lucky if Draisaitl gets under $8 million, but that team is going to be handcuffed when it has over $20 million locked up in two players, and around another $10 million for non-core pieces like Lucic and Russell.

He meant two cups since signing the 12 year extension.

I agree with the rest though, and really the more I think about it, the less surprising it is. Chiarelli isn't exactly renowned for his cap management skills.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012

I have a feeling Draisaitl is going to look at that McDavid deal, and literally be like:
"Wait, I was top 10 in scoring, and I think I was a big reason McDavid got there (he wasn't, but I digress); I will need to get paid too."

Signing McDavid AND Russell before Draisaitl was a really bad idea, TBH. Neither took team friendly deals, so it'd be hard to convince Leon that his value is more along the lines of guys like Monahan, MacKinnon, Forsberg, etc. If they get him under 8 million; I'll be surprised. They also can't hard-ball him all that much; because he could simply sign an over-sheet to force their hands (a la Weber). A team like Jersey could really do a quick turnaround; offer a 9.8 x 7 deal to Draisaitl; the two picks that they'll be taking in the 10-20's over the next two years won't compare to what Leon could do for that organization.

Aug 3, 2010
It may have been far more intelligent a strategy to have signed Russell and Draisaitl first and let McDavid see what would be left over for him (which I suspect would be in the 11.5m range) or sign McDavid first and see what is left over for Draisaitl then Russell (while saying things like "we are trying to build a contender here and this is what we have to work with after we've paid our star.")

The fact they signed Russell first (a far less integral piece) then McDavid, only serves to alienate Draisaitl's camp.

Aug 21, 2014
McDavid: "$14 million for five years"
Chiarelli: "$10 million for eight years"
McDavid: "$13.25 million for eight."
Chiarelli: "Deal."

*Peter Chiarelli GM of the year 2018*

Now if someone offersheets Draisaitl for $10 million, that would be b e a u t i f u l.

hometown discount :biglaugh:

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Honestly it's not a bad deal for the Oilers. He was rumoured to want 5 years. But yeah, anyone that says he's taking 9.7 was crazy lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->