Around the League XXXIV: Offseason

Status
Not open for further replies.

EdzosCrayon

Apr 4, 2013
This is probably just bitterness stemming from the Toews haters constant attempts to dismiss how good he was in his prime by shouting "TEAM AWARDS MEAN NOTHING" constantly, but Taylor Hall winning the Hart in combination with EK being robbed of the Norris when Doughty won pretty much cements the fact that even a good handful of the so-called "individual awards" are, to a certain degree, team awards when you consider the fact that you don't have a snowballs chance in hell of winning certain "individual" awards unless your TEAM makes the playoffs. Not trying to crap on Hall either, congrats to him, this is just me being a grumpy Hawks fan.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
What is problem with Hall winning?

He was the biggest reason the Devils improved so drastically this year and made playoffs

He was very deserving of it and had himself an excellent season

Reactions: BK

EdzosCrayon

Apr 4, 2013
I agree he had an excellent season, I just have a pretty simplistic view of the Hart Trophy that a lot of people probably don't agree with, but oh well. I interpret the "player most valuable to his team" to simply be "the best player in the league that year" and if I had a vote it would have gone to McDavid for that reason. This is primarily because I feel like overthinking the whole "player most valuable to his team" line leaves us with an overly restrictive definition of the award that basically limits the pool of eligible candidates to star players on bubble teams and, perhaps more importantly, takes an award that I feel should recognize individual accomplishment and places too much emphasis on team performance by eliminating anyone who doesn't make the playoffs from contention.

I know this has been argued to death on HF, but that's just me saying what side of the fence I'm on in regards to that issue.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
I didn't have any problems with the finalists or the winners this year, but I also agree that subjective awards voted on by the same writers many rightfully chide for idiotic positions should be taken with a grain of salt rather than as immutable proof of player quality.

NHL players awards are like the Oscars. Just cause you won in any given year doesn't mean you were actually the best, it just means you got the most votes from a particular voting pool.

I mean, for f***s sake, they let the GMs vote on best goalie when GMs have consistently proven they have the least understanding of goalie performance of anybody on the planet. They may as well let goalies vote on GM of the year while they're at it.

Last edited:

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Buffalo Sabres news By Bill Hoppe

Walking away from Lehner would be brutal given price they paid (1st round pick) but it seems to be likely scenario especially after his piss poor year and his disruptive attitude

I expect that they should probably still find team willing to take chance on him and wont have to walk away but then again maybe his attitude issues and questionable play are enough for teams to wait for them to walk away instead of giving up asset

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Cherrelli can't be this stupid.

Eric Gryba 900k could be hidden in the minors at no cost to the cap but instead he is buying him out to have a cap hit of 300k on the books this year and next...

Reactions: ChiHawks10

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
It opens up a spot on their 50 contract list but who knows. Seems really dumb.

It makes no sense. Why owe the guy 300k for the next two seasons, and have that count against the cap, when you can just bury the entire contract in the AHL...

Maybe there's a medical issue, and they're helping him stay paid? IDK. Just seems weird.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Of course...but being charged is a hell of a lot closer to proof than what happened in the Kane debacle...so it doesn't look good for Watson (I know, no sh**, Sherlock).

That being said...does he get deported or become a team ambassador?
I agree, but a lot of people are charged and proven innocent. These assault cases are his word vs. her word based off of the info we currently have.

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW
Isn't Watson American?
moronie-from-sweden.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad