Around the League - Why can't our team be as much fun to watch as other teams?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
he is very good and worth a pickup if nestrasil had multiple claims put in for him paajarvi should not have passed.

He makes $1.2 million, which is enough to keep the bad teams from wanting to pay him and enough to keep the good teams from wanting to take a chance on him. It's a bad spot, but at some point teams don't want to take a chance on a bottom six forward making that much scratch on a one way deal.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
yeah but paajarvi is an rfa at the end of the year, and is a former top ten pick that has produced in the past and has been stuck behind one of the deepest rosters in the league.

$1.2 is nothing, especially since we will probably trade tlusty. put him on the 4th line, put malone on waivers and hope someones dumb.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
yeah but paajarvi is an rfa at the end of the year, and is a former top ten pick that has produced in the past and has been stuck behind one of the deepest rosters in the league.

$1.2 is nothing, especially since we will probably trade tlusty. put him on the 4th line, put malone on waivers and hope someones dumb.

Well, I suppose you could look at it in this way too. If he's an RFA at season's end then there's a good chance he can go anywhere he wants, because nobody is touching that QO. He'll expire and his rights will go elsewhere. If he came here and carved out a bottom six role, it still probably wouldn't be good enough for us to match his QO. We'd have spent developmental time on him that would have yielded us no future results. He makes as much as Nestrasil and Rask combined. If he took any ice away from those two players we're trying to develop, it might not be worth our time to do that only to send him packing at the end of the year. Which is something that annoyed me with Loktionov. We made an investment into his future and then walked away from it. He currently has 6 goals in 8 KHL games since returning by the way.

Plus, I would imagine there is a possibility that Magnus may wish to return to Sweden next year. It wouldn't surprise me at all. It seems as if borderline Swedish players are just as much if not more of a flight risk to go back home than Russian players, but for whatever reason it doesn't get a lot of publicity.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Well, I suppose you could look at it in this way too. If he's an RFA at season's end then there's a good chance he can go anywhere he wants, because nobody is touching that QO. He'll expire and his rights will go elsewhere. If he came here and carved out a bottom six role, it still probably wouldn't be good enough for us to match his QO. We'd have spent developmental time on him that would have yielded us no future results. He makes as much as Nestrasil and Rask combined. If he took any ice away from those two players we're trying to develop, it might not be worth our time to do that only to send him packing at the end of the year. Which is something that annoyed me with Loktionov. We made an investment into his future and then walked away from it. He currently has 6 goals in 8 KHL games since returning by the way.

Plus, I would imagine there is a possibility that Magnus may wish to return to Sweden next year. It wouldn't surprise me at all. It seems as if borderline Swedish players are just as much if not more of a flight risk to go back home than Russian players, but for whatever reason it doesn't get a lot of publicity.

meh, i guess he could go back to sweden, thats a good point. i can imagine him playing well enough to earn $1.4 for a year, though.

either way, good point.

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
Does anyone get excited for the outdoor games anymore? To me they've run their course.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Does anyone get excited for the outdoor games anymore? To me they've run their course.

Not until NBC/the NHL decide to put a new team in them. The fact that it's outdoor hockey and not one has been played in Minnesota is baffling.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
The Winter Classic is a marketing ploy and a money maker. The NHL couldn't give less of a **** if hardcore fans care about it. It's about the casual fan, as NHL marketing has been for a long long time.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte

That is how I feel about them too. I think the last one I was interested in was the Washington/Pitt game in 2011 that ended up being a huge stinker of a game.

Now, they are simply another game.

VAcaniac

SHOOT THE PUCK
Feb 16, 2007
Los Angeles
**** bill daley
****gary bettman

Maybe give your fans more than 50 mins to decide if its too early to go to the game? #bettman

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Hey, if you're talking 2009-10, that team was 10-23-6 on New Year's Day so they had a whole TWO more points.

Problem isn't the points...problem is that back in 09/10, they also had a 9 point cushion to the next closest team, Edmonton on 1/1/2010. As of right now, they have no cushion at all on Edmonton, a 7 point cushion on Buffalo, 8 on Arizona, and 9 on NJ.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I went to the classic with my Caps fan wife today. It was great and a fun game. Very unique and up there with the best Canes playoff games I've been to other than game 7 of the SCF. As much as people complain, I'd go to another in a heartbeat. We did get gouged on the ticket prices, but that's expected.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad