Around the League vol 3: March 2, Firing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Avilaj07

Feb 6, 2016
NHL officiating is a joke. Why not just give Boston the win FFS. Give them a goal, blow dead a 2 on 0 in overtime, GTFO. Jeremy Jacobs must be paying Bettman some good money for this bullshit.

Hockey Crazy

Dec 30, 2008
They actually claimed that ?, don't remember any of the refs or lineman make a gesture that it was highsticked. Rather that it was a goal, and then they had their huddle and claiming it was no goal. Sucks Boston won, but it is what it is.
Sorry were talking about their tying goal at the end?

Space Coyote

Oct 29, 2010
These ****ers keep on winning hopefully they cool off soon or there goes the home ice for the buds.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
The officiating was garbage and the refs did everything but just throw the puck into the net for the Bruins. But wow...how does a team seriously give up 6 goals on 20 shots? That's horrific. San Jose was owning that OT and the only chance Boston gets ends up in their net.

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Jones had a .700 save percentage that game. Talk about horrific.

But this is par for course honestly. It doesn't seem to matter how old or injured the Bruins get. They keep chugging along. By comparison, our team is in their primes or just entering and we've been far healthier than Boston, but we've failed to play consistently well all season. There's no excuse for this team to be behind. We've pissed away points against bottom feeders while the Bruins pull points out of their ass like it's nobody's business.

We're going to face them again. The Habs are faltering, and the Sabres have been doing so. Florida would need a bit of a miracle and nobody is catching Tampa. Detroit and Ottawa aren't even worth mentioning. At this rate it'll be a repeat of last year with them having home ice advantage. This team once again will have nobody to blame but themselves if we can't secure home ice.

Reactions: Kazcram

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
They played like crap and hung around long enough to get 2 points

We could learn something from them and thats why they have a 3 point margin on us right now, blaming refs is a cheap copout

There's been a lot of games where we should've been able to at least get to OT. We're tied for the fewest OT losses and while on one hand, great that they consistently bag two points in those situations, but on the other hand, we should be getting to more OT games to at least secure a point. Boston has gotten 8 points in 8 OT losses. Leafs have 3.

Bruins know how to at least salvage something out of lost games.

Reactions: Kiwi

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
There's been a lot of games where we should've been able to at least get to OT. We're tied for the fewest OT losses and while on one hand, great that they consistently bag two points in those situations, but on the other hand, we should be getting to more OT games to at least secure a point. Boston has gotten 8 points in 8 OT losses. Leafs have 3.

Bruins know how to at least salvage something out of lost games.

That's definitely one thing I'd like to see us develop

When were on its a thing of beauty but we need to pick up points in games were not at 100%, the Rangers and Coyote's games spring to mind

We need to find a way to scratch and claw at least one point in those situations

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Simple really, he wasn't wearing a Leafs jersey!

The Leafs having nothing to complain about. The refs have missed some calls but they get away a lot. The too many men last week was horrible missed call that went in the Leafs favour.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
I watch, if not participate in, several hockey boards, as well as baseball and football (soccer). I don't think I've ever seen a fan base that does not complain about the officiating, and sometimes blame them for a loss.

But I have never seen such a bunch of constant whiners as there are here!

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Dylan Strome - on fire. If he continues, can he make a push for the Calder? So happy for this guy.

How? It is Pettersson's to lose.

His SH% is definitely unsustainable but he's going to be PPG+ and likely put up 70 points.

Strome might get nominated for the Calder though.

TheShape

Oct 25, 2018
Boston peaking at the right time, mirror image of last season.

Toronto/Boston 1st round. It’s a question of home ice at this point, Montreal will fade out.

Vaive50

Dec 24, 2015
It's more because the Leafs slumped in January. That rough month evaporated the lead they had over Boston and even Montreal.

Regardless the Leafs can get back home ice. They just need to be better than Boston the rest of the way. The Leafs can certainly do that.

Also holy smokes...Jones has let in 5 on 19 shots. Wherever San Jose gets beaten in the playoffs this year it is going to be because their goalie hasn't been good enough this year.

But all in all, now that the Habs have fallen into reality, it's basically guaranteed that we are playing the Bruins in the first round, does it really matter if we have home ice or not, I mean after all, look at our home record compared to our road record. I just feel great that we are comfortably in the top 3 (6 points up on the Habs with a game in hand) and not in that rat race for a WC spot. Let the Habs, Pens, Blue Jackets, Canes and Sabres fight for the 2 WC spots, we were there 2 years ago and took til the last weekend to lock it up, I'd rather not go through all that again.

Reactions: AM Bruin

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
I watch, if not participate in, several hockey boards, as well as baseball and football (soccer). I don't think I've ever seen a fan base that does not complain about the officiating, and sometimes blame them for a loss.

But I have never seen such a bunch of constant whiners as there are here!
I use to think that the fairness of NHL officiating was second to none, especially before NHL expansion.

However, since expansion, and since Bettman came on board as the league commissioner, the whole focus has switched to propping up expansion franchises in nontraditional hockey markets. The goal is to SELL hockey to the Americans in order to mazimize American TV revenues.

Since the goal of the NHL, lead by Bettman, is to create American hockey markets where traditionally baseball, football, and NASCAR rule the day, it is of the upmost importance for making these American hockey franchises successful to win over local fans.

Now, having said the above, we also know that there is little to no need to sell hockey to Canadians, especially in the strongest hockey markets of Toronto and Montreal. So, as a result, we see many times that the officiating is biased against Canadian teams in general. Many, many, many times, a penalty that is 'missed' against an American based team is called against a Canadian based team.

The Leafs currently have a young, skilled, and fast team. Why should they be one of the lowest teams in the entire league at drawing penalties? You cannot tell me that the other American based teams play their cleanest games against the Leafs at all times. Simply impossible!

Now, let's talk about the Boston Bruins. Jeremy Jacobs is the owner. He has a very strong, and load voice at the NHL BoG table. He also doesn't put up with any nonsense with regards to what happens to HIS hockey team! What he doesn't like gets communicated quite loudly to the NHL, especially to the department of player safety.

Just look at the suspension issued to Leaf player Zach Hyman on his late hit on the Charlie McAvoy of the Bruins. There have been other similar LATE HITS on Leaf players since, that have gone UNPUNISHED against Leaf opponents.

A penalty is a penalty, no matter which team commits it. All I ask for is FAIRNESS and ACCOUNTABILITY.

Is it too much to ask for? Especially when the team I cheer for happens to pay the most into revenue sharing?

JMHO.

Stigma

May 24, 2015
Mississauga
How? It is Pettersson's to lose.

His SH% is definitely unsustainable but he's going to be PPG+ and likely put up 70 points.

Strome might get nominated for the Calder though.
Yeah, I meant a Calder candidate as opposed to the winner.
It's gotta be Pettersson at this point.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I use to think that the fairness of NHL officiating was second to none, especially before NHL expansion.

However, since expansion, and since Bettman came on board as the league commissioner, the whole focus has switched to propping up expansion franchises in nontraditional hockey markets. The goal is to SELL hockey to the Americans in order to mazimize American TV revenues.

Since the goal of the NHL, lead by Bettman, is to create American hockey markets where traditionally baseball, football, and NASCAR rule the day, it is of the upmost importance for making these American hockey franchises successful to win over local fans.

Now, having said the above, we also know that there is little to no need to sell hockey to Canadians, especially in the strongest hockey markets of Toronto and Montreal. So, as a result, we see many times that the officiating is biased against Canadian teams in general. Many, many, many times, a penalty that is 'missed' against an American based team is called against a Canadian based team.

The Leafs currently have a young, skilled, and fast team. Why should they be one of the lowest teams in the entire league at drawing penalties? You cannot tell me that the other American based teams play their cleanest games against the Leafs at all times. Simply impossible!

Now, let's talk about the Boston Bruins. Jeremy Jacobs is the owner. He has a very strong, and load voice at the NHL BoG table. He also doesn't put up with any nonsense with regards to what happens to HIS hockey team! What he doesn't like gets communicated quite loudly to the NHL, especially to the department of player safety.

Just look at the suspension issued to Leaf player Zach Hyman on his late hit on the Charlie McAvoy of the Bruins. There have been other similar LATE HITS on Leaf players since, that have gone UNPUNISHED against Leaf opponents.

A penalty is a penalty, no matter which team commits it. All I ask for is FAIRNESS and ACCOUNTABILITY.

Is it too much to ask for? Especially when the team I cheer for happens to pay the most into revenue sharing?

JMHO.

Ummm, interesting. Why are there “missed” calls when two Canadian based teams are playing?

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Ummm, interesting. Why are there “missed” calls when two Canadian based teams are playing?

Do you think that playing on the perimeter contributes to the lack of penalties against the Leafs? I think they actually get calls that are borderline at best.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad