Around the League vol 3: March 2, Firing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
The timing is interesting given they just extending Koskinen on that odd contract.

Wonder who was pulling the strings on that one

They can't go with Talbot, same way the Flames can't go with Smith.

Talbot was good for a little over a year, and either he got figured out after being hidden as a back-up, or he got complacent. Smith is just old.

They were asking who would want to be GM of the Oilers, with all the baggage that team carries ... well if they can rid the baggage, you're starting with perhaps the best hockey player on the planet as a base to build upon.

I don't think the task is large, get a winger for McDavid, get a winger for Draisaitl, and get your defense healthy.

Heard Roenick talking about how hockey dumb their defense is, and I had just said that to an Oiler fan at work. They might have some smart defenseman, injured or in the minors, but right now the guys they're running out there night after night seem clueless, of course that can be related to the complete lack of confidence the team has.

Wonder how much Katz would pay to get McPhee today? What's Yzerman doing right now?

SoCal Leafs

Jul 1, 2018
So Cal
I saw the Chiarelli news and thought to myself: As disappointing as the Leafs have been in the past few weeks--rife with the sky-is-falling hot takes and Babcock/Nylander/Hainsey/Dubas/{insert name here} bashing--I'm so thankful I'm not rooting for the Oilers, or Sens, or other teams whose present and near future is so bleak. Come to think of it, apart from possibly Tampa, I wouldn't switch the Leafs' personnel or resources with any other in the league.

We're a passionate fanbase and have such high expectations that when things aren't going so well it's easy to forget how good it is to be a Leafs fan now. Seeing the mess in Edmonton was a good reminder of that.

Reactions: mix1home

Punch Drunk Loov

Gaaaaary Roberts!
Dec 6, 2011
I really don't think so. Nonis worst mistake was what, signing Clarkson? I'm not sure if that would crack a top 5 list for Chiarelli.
What would be a top 5 Chia mistake list?
  • Trading Seguin
  • Trading Thornton
  • Trading for Griffin Reinhart
  • Trading Eberle for Strome then Strome for Spooner
  • Hall for Larsson
Edit - Oh shoot, Chia didn't trade Thornton it was the other fella. Oops

• Lucic then?

Last edited:
Reactions: Buds17

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Also his drafting record, since his first draft in ‘06 when he was only the GM for a month really isn’t that great.

From ‘07 to now he hasn’t really drafted a star player or many solid NHLers outside of the first round

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
I dunno if Hunters wants to GM another team other than the Leafs but the Oilers should ask him if he's interested in the GM job.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I dunno if Hunters wants to GM another team other than the Leafs but the Oilers should ask him if he's interested in the GM job.
9 years as a Oiler, Hunter certainly wouldn't be the worse option imo. That's a big job for whoever takes it on, no easy fixes imo.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
9 years as a Oiler, Hunter certainly wouldn't be the worse option imo. That's a big job for whoever takes it on, no easy fixes imo.

They have a few decent young D'men, 3 forwards and the Koskinen looks good in net, and that's about it. They need someone to find them players soon before they lose McDavid. You're talking about Marks brother, Dave.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Keith Gretzky becoming interim GM just shows where the real issue is. That's a guy who has about as underwhelming resume as you could imagine.

The guy is coming from Director of Amateur Scouting for Arizona, where he helped them get absolutely nothing. He then moved on to Boston, where he led them to consistently underwhelming drafts. And since then, he's been part of this dreadful management group in Edmonton that apparently took its decisions by committee. If merits mattered, he would be fired and have to look for some other line of work. Instead he gets first crack at one of the most prestigious jobs in hockey.

Mattavarner

Apr 17, 2014
Found something interesting while browsing NHL.com
Looking at the worst +/- players in the NHL. Most of them are expected, getting top minutes on bad teams is going to get you alot of goals against
However, at 5th worst in the league, at -19, is Evgeni Malkin. Found this amazing, and went to check Pittsburghs +/- stats to compare to team. He's 5 worse than the next lowest, Phil Kessel at -14, then the next lowest isn't till -9.
How can one of the top 3 players in the world be such a - player on a good team?

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Found something interesting while browsing NHL.com
Looking at the worst +/- players in the NHL. Most of them are expected, getting top minutes on bad teams is going to get you alot of goals against
However, at 5th worst in the league, at -19, is Evgeni Malkin. Found this amazing, and went to check Pittsburghs +/- stats to compare to team. He's 5 worse than the next lowest, Phil Kessel at -14, then the next lowest isn't till -9.
How can one of the top 3 players in the world be such a - player on a good team?
Since I'm a nice guy, I looked this up for you.

At 5v5, Malkin has been on the ice for 33 goals for and 36 goals against. There's -3.
In 4v4 and 3v3, Malkin has been on the ice for an additional 1 goal for and 3 goals against. That's another -2.
He doesn't play PK, so that had no effect on the numbers.
On the PP, he's been on for 8 goals against. That's another -8 for him.
Add that he's been on the ice for 4 goals for and 10 goals against with the goalie pulled. That's the last -6.

Punch Drunk Loov

Gaaaaary Roberts!
Dec 6, 2011
upload_2019-1-23_13-44-17.png

8816 others

Dec 3, 2012
Bowen Island, BC
Too bad the league and McDavid hadn't listened to pre-Matthews me and offersheeted him, forcing the Oilers into cap hell, burning an RFA year, so he could eventually come home without wasting so much of his career in Edmonton.

Macallan18

Aug 10, 2015
Keith Gretzky becoming interim GM just shows where the real issue is. That's a guy who has about as underwhelming resume as you could imagine.

The guy is coming from Director of Amateur Scouting for Arizona, where he helped them get absolutely nothing. He then moved on to Boston, where he led them to consistently underwhelming drafts. And since then, he's been part of this dreadful management group in Edmonton that apparently took its decisions by committee. If merits mattered, he would be fired and have to look for some other line of work. Instead he gets first crack at one of the most prestigious jobs in hockey.
Exactly my point about the old boys network.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Unless the Oilers go in a radically different direction with management they’re bound to continue to be a disaster.

The fact that Chia was still able to sign bigger money contracts as recently as a few days ago shows that while he was a tire fire, everyone else in the organization was content to watch the fire burn.

Reactions: stickty111

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
They can't go with Talbot, same way the Flames can't go with Smith.

Talbot was good for a little over a year, and either he got figured out after being hidden as a back-up, or he got complacent. Smith is just old.

They were asking who would want to be GM of the Oilers, with all the baggage that team carries ... well if they can rid the baggage, you're starting with perhaps the best hockey player on the planet as a base to build upon.

I don't think the task is large, get a winger for McDavid, get a winger for Draisaitl, and get your defense healthy.

Heard Roenick talking about how hockey dumb their defense is, and I had just said that to an Oiler fan at work. They might have some smart defenseman, injured or in the minors, but right now the guys they're running out there night after night seem clueless, of course that can be related to the complete lack of confidence the team has.

Wonder how much Katz would pay to get McPhee today? What's Yzerman doing right now?

Problem is: they have a number of bad contracts, and a horrible prospect pool.

They’ve got a really good first line and a couple good D men and that’s avout it.

They’ll need a complete organizational teardown on par with what happens in Toronto. To get that “right” they’ll need 1) right management personnel and 2) bit of luck.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015

They’ve got a really good first line and a couple good D men and that’s avout it.

They’ll need a complete organizational teardown on par with what happens in Toronto. To get that “right” they’ll need 1) right management personnel and 2) bit of luck.

Oilers is not as far away as some of you think bc of McDavid.
If they can somehow find the cap to sign Bobrosvky this summer, they will be a very good team. Their D is not as bad as people think as long as they can stay healthy.
The just need to find a way to trade for some cost effective wingers.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017

one problem is I don't think they are bad enough to get a top 8 pick, with Macdavid, Drai on the team lol

Reactions: Menzinger
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad