Around the League vol 3: March 2, Firing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
This isn’t an unsustainable streak. This is the players buying into the system. And yes, the goalies are not having to make nearly as many saves as a result of that system. And when the top 6 forwards stop producing offense (as they have the past 2 weeks), the bottom 6 produce it, as a result of the system. Both Toronto and NYI are very good teams. Toronto has an extremely high octane offense, and since losing Tavares, the islanders have become a more complete team. Can’t we be happy for one another and sort it out in the playoffs?

Lou and Trotz have done an amazing job turning the Isles around after losing JT. Goes to show that hard work can take a team a long way. The only think that irks me about the Isles is Trotz saying JT left because he did not want his teammates yet he did the same thing with the Caps.

Reactions: MYIslanders

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
This isn’t an unsustainable streak. This is the players buying into the system. And yes, the goalies are not having to make nearly as many saves as a result of that system. And when the top 6 forwards stop producing offense (as they have the past 2 weeks), the bottom 6 produce it, as a result of the system. Both Toronto and NYI are very good teams. Toronto has an extremely high octane offense, and since losing Tavares, the islanders have become a more complete team. Can’t we be happy for one another and sort it out in the playoffs?
Trotz has done amazing job, no doubt about it.

Reactions: MYIslanders

islesjuncky

Jun 15, 2014
new york
Lou and Trotz have done an amazing job turning the Isles around after losing JT. Goes to show that hard work can take a team a long way. The only think that irks me about the Isles is Trotz saying JT left because he did not want his teammates yet he did the same thing with the Caps.
Trotz left bc he had a totally unfair offer with the Caps. Totally different circumstances

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
We see the same old song and dance every year. A team rides a unsustainable hot streak and fans and outsiders who barely pay attention think they’re legit.

The Leafs did a similar thing back in 2012/2013 and then immediately fell back down to earth the following season
Leafs did the same that season as several after - played a good first half when play is more wide open, and failed as soon as physical play amped up.

The difference was that there wasn't a second half.

Reactions: Duffman955

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Kasperi Kapanen might well be eyeing that TT contract as his comparable.. Can Leafs afford $5.4 mil for Kappy next year?

I think he will be looking for around 5 AAV, it's going to be very interesting this summer, let's see how Shanny/Dubas handles it

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
TT is a bit more proven than Kappy at this point, so that should be the absolute ceiling of Kappy's contract (which could only be the case if they buy out more UFA years).

Reactions: stickty111

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
TT is a bit more proven than Kappy at this point, so that should be the absolute ceiling of Kappy's contract (which could only be the case if they buy out more UFA years).

I don't see TT as a comparison at all.

TT had 64 points last year, on pace for over 60 again this year. 42 point and 35 point the two seasons prior last.

Kapanen is going to have a single 50ish point season.

Not to say Kappy can't grow into a similar player, but it's premature.

I still think we're looking at around 3 years x 3.5M for Kappy. We might even see a 1 year deal to get us past next seasons cap crunch and we can give him a long-term deal. He'll have another year, and we'll have a good amount of cap space.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I don't understand what Chia would even do, to get to the conclusion that 4.5M for the next three seasons is something Koskinen deserves.

Kosk had a good like 10 start stretch, but otherwise he's been pretty crap.

Casey DeSmith has been better this season and just signed for 3.75M..... and that's spread out among 3 years, so 1.25M per :laugh:

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
I don't understand what Chia would even do, to get to the conclusion that 4.5M for the next three seasons is something Koskinen deserves.

Kosk had a good like 10 start stretch, but otherwise he's been pretty crap.

Casey DeSmith has been better this season and just signed for 3.75M..... and that's spread out among 3 years, so 1.25M per :laugh:

DeSmith is also 3 years younger at 27 .. Koskinen is 30 ...

I have no idea what benchmark Chia was using for that one.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Kasperi Kapanen might well be eyeing that TT contract as his comparable.. Can Leafs afford $5.4 mil for Kappy next year?

Kapanen is a couple of years younger, but his PPG isn't all that close to Teravainen's at this point. Unless the Leafs and Kapanen are looking for a near max term deal, I don't know about that contract as a comparable.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Leafs did the same that season as several after - played a good first half when play is more wide open, and failed as soon as physical play amped up.

The difference was that there wasn't a second half.

A few years ago the Avs took their hot streak into the first round of the playoffs and then hit the bottom 10 of the league the next one. If the Islanders get this level of goaltending beyond this season I’ll be pretty surprised.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad