Around the League vol 3: March 2, Firing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
To me I think he is not just telling his team, he is also telling the MGT.

He clearly said that they are "NOT" going to outskill anyone. They need to find a way to keep the puck out of their net.

Basically means, put your work before your skill; outwork your opponent and increase your compete level; skill alone is not going to get it done

Connor McDavid sends clear message following latest Oilers roster shuffle - Sportsnet.ca

The best player in the league gets it but some advanced stat fanboys don't get it; their thought process is build like the EA sports game

Reactions: Burnie97 and rumman

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
A few years ago the Avs took their hot streak into the first round of the playoffs and then hit the bottom 10 of the league the next one. If the Islanders get this level of goaltending beyond this season I’ll be pretty surprised.
Actually, their goaltending, while reasonable, isn't the only, or even the biggest, reason they are doing well. Their bottom six has been excellent at shutting down opponents (Washington managed only 19 shots Sunday), and their defence has been solid.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
so CBJ hired st louis as a special consultant to improve their PP; can the Leafs look to do something like that and stop being so freakin' predictable on the PP?

Reactions: Al14

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
so CBJ hired st louis as a special consultant to improve their PP; can the Leafs look to do something like that and stop being so freakin' predictable on the PP?

They would have to stop using Marner as the QB on the sidewall for starters, this would be a good thread ... design a new PP setup/structure with our players' "skill sets" .... example: don't expect Rielly to be one-timing bombs from the blue line, not his thing

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
They would have to stop using Marner as the QB on the sidewall for starters, this would be a good thread ... design a new PP setup/structure with our players' "skill sets" .... example: don't expect Rielly to be one-timing bombs from the blue line, not his thing

Spreading out some would be great start. Also let Tavares play behind the net some and sneak out front or to the side of the net

Watch Washington’s PP on weds.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
McDavid basically means, you cant just have skill and expect to win. Hard work is the thing that matters the most.
If the best player in the world, and the advanced stats guys get it, why dont the dino renaissance guys? Instead of those people calling the advanced stats people fanboys?

Reactions: Morgs and Menzinger

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011

TB and BOS top 2 PP teams in the league and they run the same setup as we do. Only difference is they have 3 one time options with 3 guys who can shoot the puck hard and accurate. We simply don't have that so I don't think any coaching changes or whatever will rally help. Also, teams PKs are just way better all around the league. I believe the lowest PK percentage was at like 92% and the highest being 99%. 92% at one point before would have you top 10 in the league, maybe even top 5.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015

I would really try having Willie and Marner at the same PP with Reilly, Auston and JT. By doing that let Marner be the free man roaming around or park behind the net like Wayne and let Willie be the QB. It will confuse the other teams PK.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Man. I'm not much for appeals to authority, but I'm very big on respecting the expertise in a certain field. If Babcock says something that goes completely contrary to my take on a topic, I'll rethink unless I have some good support for my case. But I have to be honest. I'm 100% sure I could do a better job as a GM than Chiarelli has. I don't think I'd be good, not at all. But Chiarelli just takes mind-numbing incompetence to a whole 'nother level.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Man. I'm not much for appeals to authority, but I'm very big on respecting the expertise in a certain field. If Babcock says something that goes completely contrary to my take on a topic, I'll rethink unless I have some good support for my case. But I have to be honest. I'm 100% sure I could do a better job as a GM than Chiarelli has. I don't think I'd be good, not at all. But Chiarelli just takes mind-numbing incompetence to a whole 'nother level.
but he brought in guys like Lucic and Kassian. he knows what kind of players it takes to win. we're stuck with some millennial teenager who wants to turn us into a figure skating team

WillNy29

Jun 20, 2018
lol I hope they don't fire him...or if they do I hope they replace him with Scott Howson :D

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
The timing is interesting given they just extending Koskinen on that odd contract.

Wonder who was pulling the strings on that one

Macallan18

Aug 10, 2015

I'm sure you and any number of posters on this board could do a better job than Chiarelli, or another half dozen incompetent gm's in the league.
They are not experts, or have any authority, for the most part they are just part of an old boys network in hockey that have risen far past their abilities, both in analyzing hockey and running/maximizing team talent.
I just wish Dubas had taken advantage of him before his firing.

ps. Chiarelli may have even been worse as a GM then Mike Millbury. I have to laugh when I see Millbury as a commentator. He has ZERO credibility (except maybe on playing defense?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->