Around the League VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
You, me, and everyone reading this knows that will never happen even if Arizona wins seven consecutive cups.

Once they get over the fact that all front offices are being taken over by nerds with business degrees, they will start to talk about how its "ruined the game" because teams will start doing smarter things that lead to more wins but aren't as entertaining for the fans. See: baseball.

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
Once they get over the fact that all front offices are being taken over by nerds with business degrees, they will start to talk about how its "ruined the game" because teams will start doing smarter things that lead to more wins but aren't as entertaining for the fans. See: baseball.

Baseball is one extreme; in basketball and (especially) soccer, analytically-based approaches lead to more exciting play. I think hockey will trend the same way, given the tendency towards high-event hockey.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Baseball is one extreme; in basketball and (especially) soccer, analytically-based approaches lead to more exciting play. I think hockey will trend the same way, given the tendency towards high-event hockey.

Maybe. It's hard to say.

The first time a team pulls their goalie down two with ten minutes left and gives up an EN, people will lose their minds.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Eh green has done a good job with canucks tirefire of a roster.

Scotty bowman wouldnt done better

Willie and Green have had crap rosters, got crap results. I can't see any coach making this into a great team, the roster is not good enough. I'm happy to stick with Green (I like him more than Willie) until he gets a team worthy of evaluating his coaching ability.

Reactions: B-rock

DarrenX

Apr 15, 2014
I am just marvelling at CHI right now... They were done and now they have a PPG Strome, PPG Debrincat, PPG Toews and a scorching Kane leading them back in it.

Not to mention the find that is Erik Gustafsson.

Bowman looked all but finished... And now look at him?

Based on momentum alone, you have to like their chances in the turtle derby, and the way they're going they'd be an unwelcome surprise for Calgary as a first round opponent.

Canucks now at 25th OA... improving that draft position! Keep it up!

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
Now that you mention it, DarrenX, it'd be kinda f***ing weird for Calgary to draw a now-wizened Chicago team as a playoff opponent, 10 years after a young Chicago team made the end-stage Iginla Flames their first playoff victim

Reactions: DarrenX and B-rock

Balls Mahoney

2015-2016 HF Premier League World Champion
Aug 14, 2008
Legend
I love Don Cherry. The Iraq/Afghanistan war cheerleading was absolute cringe and I don't agree with everything he says but how can you not love a fiery old man in the most flamboyant suits ever? How can you be mad at a guy wearing a white suit covered in flowers yelling about fighting? I think people salty about Cherry take him way too seriously. The guy has been an entertaining fixture of the greatest Canadian media creation for decades.

If you're taking this seriously enough to get mad about...

F4ekKwh.jpg

doncherryhnic20120317.jpg

Screen_Shot_2017_04_22_at_9.23.50_PM.0.png

...that's your fault.

I'm way more offended by what an uptight knob Maclean is.

Last edited:

Balls Mahoney

2015-2016 HF Premier League World Champion
Aug 14, 2008
Legend
I'm depressed about Laine.

The first several times I saw him, I thought he was touched by God with his shot. In my life I've seen a few touched by God shots. MacInnis, Chara, Ovechkin, Iafrate all had what I would consider generational touched by God shots. Laine had one of the most beautiful and unique shots I've ever seen. The puck looked like a BB shot out of a giant slingshot. It looked awesome and unstoppable.

I haven't watched the Jets really at all this season. How is Laine not icing 40+ goals a year in his sleep just standing on the hash marks on that PP unleashing that shot?

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
I love Don Cherry. The Iraq/Afghanistan war cheerleading was absolute cringe and I don't agree with everything he says but how can you not love a fiery old man in the most flamboyant suits ever? How can you be mad at a guy wearing a white suit covered in flowers yelling about fighting? I think people salty about Cherry take him way too seriously. The guy has been an entertaining fixture of the greatest Canadian media creation for decades.

If you're taking this seriously enough to get mad about...

Screen_Shot_2017_04_22_at_9.23.50_PM.0.png
Is that supposed to be a blood splatter suit?

MadaCanuckle

Jun 25, 2012
Lisboa
I am just marvelling at CHI right now... They were done and now they have a PPG Strome, PPG Debrincat, PPG Toews and a scorching Kane leading them back in it.

Not to mention the find that is Erik Gustafsson.

Bowman looked all but finished... And now look at him?

Good to great GM's make some mistakes too but try to correct them as soon as possible. They did two brilliant and under the radar trades who stabilized their lines: the Strome trade (that line is something...) and the Caggiula trade.

I would love to have a GM like him...

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
Smith-Pelley hasn't been very good this year. He'll probably get claimed though because teams have the memory of him scoring a bunch of goals in last year's playoffs.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

The first several times I saw him, I thought he was touched by God with his shot. In my life I've seen a few touched by God shots. MacInnis, Chara, Ovechkin, Iafrate all had what I would consider generational touched by God shots. Laine had one of the most beautiful and unique shots I've ever seen. The puck looked like a BB shot out of a giant slingshot. It looked awesome and unstoppable.

I haven't watched the Jets really at all this season. How is Laine not icing 40+ goals a year in his sleep just standing on the hash marks on that PP unleashing that shot?

How do you go from scoring 18 goals in 12 games to 4 in your next 35?

I’m a huge fan of this player and feel that this will eventually be looked at as a mild stumble in a 500-goal HHOF career ... but he’s completely lost the plot right now. Have to wonder about his conditioning, commitment, and focus.

But it’s still important to remember that this guy is 20 - same age as Lind and Juolevi - and scored 44 goals in the NHL last year as a teenager and will still score 30 this year in a complete disaster season.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
LOL, NBA basketball's chuck up 3's from anywhere at any time is not something I would consider entertaining. I think it's hurt the product, and I think the game would be better if they got rid of the 3 pointer.

I'd rather watch a dunk or a lay up on the fast break not a 3 pointer, to each their own though.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
How do you go from scoring 18 goals in 12 games to 4 in your next 35?

I’m a huge fan of this player and feel that this will eventually be looked at as a mild stumble in a 500-goal HHOF career ... but he’s completely lost the plot right now. Have to wonder about his conditioning, commitment, and focus.

But it’s still important to remember that this guy is 20 - same age as Lind and Juolevi - and scored 44 goals in the NHL last year as a teenager and will still score 30 this year in a complete disaster season.
I do enjoy the fact that the guy spouting off about video games only being a problem for Vcr because we are losers sucking badly and looking lazy as xxxx.

But yes he will come around.

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
LOL, NBA basketball's chuck up 3's from anywhere at any time is not something I would consider entertaining. I think it's hurt the product, and I think the game would be better if they got rid of the 3 pointer.

I'd rather watch a dunk or a lay up on the fast break not a 3 pointer, to each their own though.

Fair enough, I don't really know the basketball analytics world that well. All I knew was that the Warriors brought in an analytically-based approach and they are fun as hell to watch :) But the point on soccer and hockey stands.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Fair enough, I don't really know the basketball analytics world that well. All I knew was that the Warriors brought in an analytically-based approach and they are fun as hell to watch :) But the point on soccer and hockey stands.
All I know about basketball analytics is it priortizes taking 3's, because 3's are better than 2's.

I don't find analytics has improved the product of any sport really, it's given us more data to sort through but in terms of actually just the experience in watching games and enjoying them, I think it's done the opposite.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
All I know about basketball analytics is it priortizes taking 3's, because 3's are better than 2's.

I don't find analytics has improved the product of any sport really, it's given us more data to sort through but in terms of actually just the experience in watching games and enjoying them, I think it's done the opposite.

That’s not “analytics” it is teams prioritizing winning over entertainment, which they have always done. It’s no different from the trap becoming popular in hockey in the 2000s.

Reactions: vanuck

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
Laine single handidly ruined my fantasy team this year. First time in over a decade in this league I won’t make the playoffs. I’m right outside 8th but the gap is too big and I basically don’t have my first rounder with the way he’s playing. He’s hurting me with a shitty plus minus right now more than anything.

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell

Such a weird season, had 18 goals in one month including 5 in a game and has been in a deep slumber since then, have to think his confidence is like below zero right now.

He's still really young though, he's gonna pull out of this.

Someone on the main boards thought they should loan him to the KHL lol

Hockeyphysio

Jul 2, 2018
It was interesting that someone on the Main boards based on his gaming account he spends like 10 + hour playing that

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad