Around the League VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
You guys piling on a 85 yr old who has done nothing but try and entertain people with a "Shtick" tell stories of great Canadians , honour our troops, hype our hockey players are pathetic.
Wow.

Talk about pathetic.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
It was the players who started it, led by the captain Justin Williams.
If they want to do it that’s fine. Opposition teams has already left the ice so they don’t care.

But don’t be ticked if an opposition player mocks it like Lindholm did upon his return to Carolina.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Wow.

Talk about pathetic.
You're really good at this......perhaps 420 came a little early today?

Seriously if people cant see Cherrys shtick for what it is and have some recognition for almost 35 yrs of service as an embassador of our national pastime and everything Canadian you need to check yourself.

And to be clear i'm not talking about having an opinion and criticisms are fair of his opinion but calling him a racist POS that upsets me.

Care to elaborate whats Pathetic about this?

Hollywood Burrows

Jan 23, 2009
EAST VANCOUVER
You guys piling on a 85 yr old who has done nothing but try and entertain people with a "Shtick" tell stories of great Canadians , honour our troops, hype our hockey players are pathetic.

Poor Don Cherry! All he ever did was use his national platform to spew hate, misogyny, chauvinism, and general ignorance for 35 years. He also talks about hockey sometimes, although I've never heard him say a single insightful or interesting thing about it. Once upon a time he was an entertaining broadcaster, but I really can't remember the last time he wasn't incredibly depressing to watch. His brain is pudding now.

That being said, the Hurricanes thing is very embarrassing. It's sub-terrell owens crap that's just intended to generate clicks on social media for a zombie sports franchise that only exists to pad out the league and give the real teams someone to play against. this culture is hell

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
You're really good at this......perhaps 420 came a little early today?

Seriously if people cant see Cherrys shtick for what it is and have some recognition for almost 35 yrs of service as an embassador of our national pastime and everything Canadian you need to check yourself.

And to be clear i'm not talking about having an opinion and criticisms are fair of his opinion but calling him a racist POS that upsets me.

Care to elaborate whats Pathetic about this?
Embassardor of racism ?

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Cherry also REFUSED to use import picks in the OHL because he wanted no Europeans on his team, but after just 16 wins overall in the team's first three years, Cherry finally started to use those draft picks. The guy is an absolute moron, and MS is right, he's not racist, but he is VERY xenophobic.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
Cherry is a senile old bastard who should have been removed from TV ages ago.

But because he's a "Canadian Icon" they kept him around.

I honestly have not watched an intermission with him in it for close to a decade.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

****ing unbelievable

Ehhhhh I can’t believe I’m gonna defend Cherry but here goes.

Doesn’t excuse it but most of the Archie Bunker generation of guys born in the 20s and 30s talk like that and grew up with those social norms. Doesn’t excuse it but he doesn’t make comments like that anymore and has been a massive supporter of women’s hockey.

And I mentioned it previously, but given the global political situation and his pro-military stance and his target demographic, it would have been the easiest thing in the world for him to ignore a Muslim player like Kadri completely or take some easy shots at him. Instead he was probably his biggest booster in the media, showered the ‘good Canadian kid’ stuff on him, and presented a really positive, progressive attitude to his likely largely anti-Muslim demographic. And I respected the hell out of him for that.

.... and now back to talking about him as an old man yelling at clouds and having idiotic takes on Erik Gudbranson.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Ehhhhh I can’t believe I’m gonna defend Cherry but here goes.

Doesn’t excuse it but most of the Archie Bunker generation of guys born in the 20s and 30s talk like that and grew up with those social norms. Doesn’t excuse it but he doesn’t make comments like that anymore and has been a massive supporter of women’s hockey.

And I mentioned it previously, but given the global political situation and his pro-military stance and his target demographic, it would have been the easiest thing in the world for him to ignore a Muslim player like Kadri completely or take some easy shots at him. Instead he was probably his biggest booster in the media, showered the ‘good Canadian kid’ stuff on him, and presented a really positive, progressive attitude to his likely largely anti-Muslim demographic. And I respected the hell out of him for that.

.... and now back to talking about him as an old man yelling at clouds and having idiotic takes on Erik Gudbranson.
I’d be more impressed if he did that if Kadri played for a team other than the Laffs or Ruins. Look no further than Brad Marchand. If Matt Cooke was a lifelong Ruin, would he get on this soapbox to go after him? Saying a couple half-hearted “oh he shouldn’t be doing things like that” would be the extent of his disdain IMHO.

Reactions: racerjoe

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Cherry also REFUSED to use import picks in the OHL because he wanted no Europeans on his team, but after just 16 wins overall in the team's first three years, Cherry finally started to use those draft picks. The guy is an absolute moron, and MS is right, he's not racist, but he is VERY xenophobic.
He was an advocate for young Canadian hockey players getting a shot to develop in our junior leagues.....he made a stand?

why do i get the feeling there is a certain group of people that hate their grandparents for saying something outrageous around here....frig have some respect.

Whatever im done talking about Cherry i rarely watch any of his segments anyway i used to listen to more of his Grapeline segments and always appreciated his interviews on American radio segments like Rome is burning where he was unbelievable at sharing hockey history and all things Canadiana. Was a completely different person in a humble setting telling stories. I appreciate him

Reactions: Catamarca Livin

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Blues are basically in.

I kinda feel that if Arizona loses this game to Edmonton they are pretty much out, but I'll have to run some simulations as I'm not sure.

Turtle derby is apropos though. They should cancel the 2nd wild card and give the conference winners a bye.

TruKnyte

On the wagon
Jan 1, 2012
Vancouver, BC
Brayden Point healthy scratched because he missed a team meeting. Sucks for my hockey pool, but man Tampa has to have a ton of depth if they can afford to keep him out of the lineup and still win.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad