Around the League VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
I can’t believe the Hurricanes celebrations are causing as much of a ripple as it is. This league and its fans are pathetic and hypocritical.

It’s probably my favourite thing with hockey lately. It’s covered on ESPN 1. ESPN 1!!! They don’t cover hockey unless someone dies.

Reactions: vancityluongo

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
It’s probably my favourite thing with hockey lately. It’s covered on ESPN 1. ESPN 1!!! They don’t cover hockey unless someone dies.

Exactly. Everyone is talking about it, although maybe not for the best reason but whatever. The world is a f***ed up place now and too many people get offended by the simplest, most harmless things.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
I can’t believe the Hurricanes celebrations are causing as much of a ripple as it is. This league and its fans are pathetic and hypocritical.
I find a lot of them are beyond lame, but they aren't hurting anyone, if they want to be lame so be it, just let them be. I suspect it will burn itself out pretty quickly.

OTOH you wouldn't want every team doing, then normalising it, such that it then becomes a thing after every goal. The NHL will have to stomp on it if it gets out of hand but for now let it burn itself out.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
I find a lot of them are beyond lame, but they aren't hurting anyone, if they want to be lame so be it, just let them be. I suspect it will burn itself out pretty quickly.

OTOH you wouldn't want every team doing, then normalising it, such that it then becomes a thing after every goal. The NHL will have to stomp on it if it gets out of hand but for now let it burn itself out.

I’m waiting for a team to beat the Canes and then do a celebration. Been disappointed it hasn’t happened yet

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006

But you would want every team doing it.. when you think aboutWHY they are doing it. It's for the KIDS.
Like the All Star game...

It's fun. That simple.

I love it. Good for them for figuring it out... their fans love it. And look at the buzz...

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
i think former cane elias lindholm did something to this effect recently

Yeah he did the Skol chant or whatever that is called again. I want an entire team to do soemthing though (not in carolina’s Arena otherwise there may be a brawl and stuff thrown at players).

Throwback

Sep 12, 2014
Flyers have Elliott back now, so four goaltenders on the roster though technically it has been that way for a couple weeks since conditioning stints aren't technically roster moves. I'm guessing they'll be putting McKenna on waivers today.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Manning cleared waivers lol.

Canes celebrations...a couple have been good. Others not so much. I don't care if they or any other team wants to do it. The ripples it's causing are completely predictable...hockey players aren't allowed to have a personality.

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
A lot of people in Canada an in big American markets forget that thee Hurricanes still rank pretty low in terms of sports teams of interest in North Carolina, their popularity in the region for the most part is pretty close to the level of interest that people have in the Vancouver Canadians here.

If you can have some sort of shtick that generates interest and brings more people into the arena then it's worth it. Combined with the fact that they're making a strong push for the playoffs they've seen much higher attendance numbers in the New Year.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
Manning cleared waivers lol.

Canes celebrations...a couple have been good. Others not so much. I don't care if they or any other team wants to do it. The ripples it's causing are completely predictable...hockey players aren't allowed to have a personality.
The ripples show how many Canadian still think hockey belongs to them and that everyone else should do it the traditional Canadian way

Reactions: mathonwy

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Idc about the celebrations but I don't know if the team is mandating it or the players actually want to do them

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
Cherry once forfeited his import draft picks as the owner of an OHL team because he didn't want European players stealing spot from Canadian players and they won 27 games in 4 seasons lol

He isn't some savant or genius who knows so much more about hockey than everyone else, yet he somehow still has quite the hubris about his knowledge and there's still enough people who treat whatever he says as gospel.

Reactions: timw33

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
Cherry once forfeited his import draft picks as the owner of an OHL team because he didn't want European players stealing spot from Canadian players and they won 27 games in 4 seasons lol

He isn't some savant or genius who knows so much more about hockey than everyone else, yet he somehow still has quite the hubris about his knowledge and there's still enough people who treat whatever he says as gospel.
He’s also a racist POS

Reactions: timw33

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
3 time cup champion.

Why does a moron like Cherry think he knows more about hockey than mr game 7?

What did that moron ever accomplish.
Had Bobby Orr in his prime and won nothing (did get the Jack Adams once). Once Orr was gone, their GM got Brad Park and I think Jean Retaille (sp?) and still won nothing . Got suckered into trying to out physical the Flyers which probably cost them a cup ( granted the main reason was Bernie Parent).

Can't even count to five. Ask any Habfans.:sarcasm:

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
He’s also a racist POS

Cherry is a xenophope but not a racist.

Being a white guy from Canada who hates white guys from Sweden or Russia isn’t racist.

Cherry has been a big supporter of black and native players and even a Muslim player in Nazim Kadri who he once kissed on national TV.

I’m hardly his biggest fan but let’s not throw labels like that around.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
You guys piling on a 85 yr old who has done nothing but try and entertain people with a "Shtick" tell stories of great Canadians , honour our troops, hype our hockey players are pathetic.

Reactions: Nomobo

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Cherry is a nationalist who likes a very particular style of hockey. He represents a very large subset of Canadian hockey fans who like him for saying what they think but are afraid to say. I don’t necessarily think he “hates” European hockey players as much as he hates what he perceives as the European style of play.

Reactions: vancityluongo
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->