Around the League v2: Everyone Is Getting Fired!

Status
Not open for further replies.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Kinda surprised by that one. I think Schmaltz is a lot better than Strome, but you never know. I don't think it was a risk Chicago had to take though

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
I wonder if we can grab Lawson Crouse from Arizona. Arizona seems to be really trying to go for it this year with the Pacific Division being so weak and up for grabs.

A deal around Connor Brown and Lawson Crouse?

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
It’s not a bad deal. Schmaltz and Perlini have had similar developments, an intriguing first season, good second season and then struggling in the start of their third season. Dylan Strome is a lottery ticket. If he puts it together it’s a steal but it’s beginning to look unlikely.

My gut feeling is this could be Chicago selling low on a player that 3 months ago was deemed untouchable. One of those moves that both teams see something they like on the other side and it can’t really be judged for another 3ish years when we know what they are.

I really don’t know. Chyaka seems to have a grasp on pro level trades. He’s been better at trading for young talent other times are frustrated with rather than drafting his own lol

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Why...... why would we do that

21 yr old winger who's cheap and brings the element of physicality that we dont have?

We wont be able to afford Brown from next season anyways. He's most likely gonna be a cap casualty

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
I liked Perlini since his JR days, I think he may do well now that he is out of that disaster of an org, feel sorry for schmaltz

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
I think the Hawks made out like freaking bandits. Perlini is pretty trash so far in the NHL, but players with the IQ of Strome don't bust. I can't wait to see what he can do with real linemates, and not playing 3rd/4th line minutes in a "learn how to play a 200-foot game first" role.

Also, Schmaltz was great last year.... with an 18% sh% and playing primarily with Kane. After coming back down to earth this year, and not even being able to handle the 3C role after being demoted, it was a brilliant time to trade him while his value was still high.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
I think the Hawks made out like freaking bandits. Perlini is pretty trash so far in the NHL, but players with the IQ of Strome don't bust. I can't wait to see what he can do with real linemates, and not playing 3rd/4th line minutes in a "learn how to play a 200-foot game first" role.

Also, Schmaltz was great last year.... with an 18% sh% and playing primarily with Kane. After coming back down to earth this year, and not even being able to handle the 3C role after being demoted, it was a brilliant time to trade him while his value was still high.

Perlini scored 17 last season, Strome has 7 career goals in 3 seasons. lol

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015

Strome does have pretty lousy underlying numbers though, in easy competition. I don't think it's purely a lack of minutes holding him back. I won't be shocked if he ends up as good as Schmaltz, but I probably wouldn't gamble on it

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki

IQ is a very valuable tool

Unfortunately if you can't skate well enough to get where you need to be that's a sizable issue though

I wouldn't have minded taking a flyer on him and having Underhill give him a look but I've got some doubts

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Strome does have pretty lousy underlying numbers though, in easy competition. I don't think it's purely a lack of minutes holding him back. I won't be shocked if he ends up as good as Schmaltz, but I probably wouldn't gamble on it

Meh. Not many guys have a junior and AHL career like Strome and bust. I think giving him real minutes with real linemates, and freedom will help him thrive. Something Arizona was never willing to do, for whatever reason.

On the other hand I think Schmaltz' best days are probably behind him. Unsustainable season last year with Kane, coming back down to earth. Doubt he'll ever get a better linemate. My guess is Wennberg 2.0.

Reactions: stickty111

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
IQ is a very valuable tool

Unfortunately if you can't skate well enough to get where you need to be that's a sizable issue though

I wouldn't have minded taking a flyer on him and having Underhill give him a look but I've got some doubts

There are many many cases of guys with below average skating and High-End IQ that have had fantastic careers though. Tavares, Getzlaf, Thornton, Stepan off the top of my head.

The guy produces, always has. I personally just can't see him not becoming at the very least a top-6 C with his overall skillset.

Would've loved to take a flier on him, but we just wouldn't have the space for him to get the time he needs in the NHL to develop.

Reactions: stickty111

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
What a trade by The Hawks.
Schmaltz and Perlini are pretty much a wash then you have Strome who should be at worst a solid NHLer with 2C upside.
Would have traded Brown for Perlini and Strome any day

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
There are many many cases of guys with below average skating and High-End IQ that have had fantastic careers though. Tavares, Getzlaf, Thornton, Stepan off the top of my head.

The guy produces, always has. I personally just can't see him not becoming at the very least a top-6 C with his overall skillset.

Would've loved to take a flier on him, but we just wouldn't have the space for him to get the time he needs in the NHL to develop.

There's a lot of guys that struggled to skate and busted out to, there's plenty of guys also that have had good OHL and AHL careers and never became decent NHL players

I'm not sure he's ever going to be good enough to hold down a top 9C position as the league continues to get faster and faster with this skating ability

Now as I said I wouldn't have minded taking a punt on him and sending his ass to Underhill for the next year then seeing where he's at but that's more of a rebuilding team sort of move imo

barilko05

NHL FAN
Jan 28, 2011
I wonder if Chicago is hoping for the Domi bounce and betting on Strome's lack of development being because Zona is a shit show when it comes to player development. Could be a gamble that pays off like it did (so far) for Montreal.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Todd Mac after getting fired by the Oilers
tenor (1).gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad