Around the League: Hockey Is In the Air...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Animal

Oct 10, 2012
Not sure how arbitration works but it wouldn't surprise me if we offered Ceci a 1 year deal if the Sens walked away.

Even a mid to late pick if they match. No way they're trying to pay him.
Sens aren't walking away, they refused to deal him for Drouin or Hall.

Animal

Oct 10, 2012
That was when he showed potential.
if he no longer shows potential, why do you want him on the Leafs? Lots of bad GM's out there would value him more than Dubas anyways, so getting him for cheap wouldn't be an option.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
The Sens are a bigger tire fire than Arizona at the moment.

They need new ownership who is willing to tear down every piece of that organization

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
The Sens are a bigger tire fire than Arizona at the moment.

They need new ownership who is willing to tear down every piece of that organization

they don't even need to be torn down.
they just need an owner to care. Melnyk's cheap ass is what hurt the team (well that and Hoffman's fiance's issues with Melinda Karlsson and the sens doing zilch about it)

Reactions: hockeywiz542

HC7

May 2, 2018
if he no longer shows potential, why do you want him on the Leafs? Lots of bad GM's out there would value him more than Dubas anyways, so getting him for cheap wouldn't be an option.

Because he's overpaid, but that doesn't matter because it's 1 year and we have a ton of cap this season.

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
Because he's overpaid, but that doesn't matter because it's 1 year and we have a ton of cap this season.
Unless you want a cap overage penalty next year with big deals for Marner n Matthews to account for, no we don’t really have a ton of cap. Ceci isn’t the kind of guy to be worth putting ourselves in that position

HC7

May 2, 2018
Unless you want a cap overage penalty next year with big deals for Marner n Matthews to account for, no we don’t really have a ton of cap. Ceci isn’t the kind of guy to be worth putting ourselves in that position

We have like 15M in cap before overage penalties so maybe check that before commenting.

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
We have like 15M in cap before overage penalties so maybe check that before commenting.
According to capfriendly it’s 13.8...so you have to re-sign Nylander for around 7ish then add:
Room for Marner (850k) & Matthews (2.85) bonuses and even Kapanen has schedule 1 bonus potential for another 850k.
plus a full roster as that’s with 13-6-2 and included Horton who would go on IR (Not ltir) in order to free up a roster spot, so add another 1.5-2m
It’s still tight to add a guy, especially a nominal upgrade like we’re talking about here.
Edit: I was confused as to the cap space on cap friendly counting Horton as I must of glanced over him when looking at the roster breakdown, my apologies.

Last edited:

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
William Karlsson signs 1 year deal @ $5.25 million after scoring 43 goals and 78 pts...but hey, lets throw $7 to $10 million at Marner and Nylander for 8 years each...

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
Ooof, not a fan of any goalie getting 8 years of term.

Makes Andersen’s contract look all the better

when we don't agree, we really don't agree, but when we do agree we really do agree :laugh: that is one gross contract. eight years for goalies is so gross.

Reactions: Menzinger

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
Ottawa is in a no-win situation. If they sell at the deadline to avoid losing Duchene, Karlsson, and Stone for nothing, they'll improve Colorado's pick. Why would any of the 3 sign an extension there?
Only thing they can do is move them anyways. At least that way they'll have some kind of return.

baton elevated

One Man Gang
Jun 4, 2009
when we don't agree, we really don't agree, but when we do agree we really do agree :laugh: that is one gross contract. eight years for goalies is so gross.
If that's gross. you must be completely repelled by Price's contract. That is a train wreck . Good goalie and all but 10.5 mill at his age and injury issues.....ouch.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
Only thing they can do is move them anyways. At least that way they'll have some kind of return.
Yeah they don't really have much choice. The worst thing they can do is let those guys walk just to try and limit the benefit to Colorado. Ottawa has way bigger issues than the shame of giving another team a top pick. They just need to forget about that pick and do the best they can with the situation. Sadly forcing the owner to sell the team isn't an option. So getting assets and hoping he does sell the team before those assets become players that don't want to stay around is the best plan.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
If that's gross. you must be completely repelled by Price's contract. That is a train wreck . Good goalie and all but 10.5 mill at his age and injury issues.....ouch.

i thought that was the stupidest thing (until Bergevin said hold my beer) MTL could have done.
I would never have paid that much for Price. if it meant he'd bounce - okay let some dummy give me a bucket full of picks and prospects and let them deal with that nonsense.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
Yeah they don't really have much choice. The worst thing they can do is let those guys walk just to try and limit the benefit to Colorado. Ottawa has way bigger issues than the shame of giving another team a top pick. They just need to forget about that pick and do the best they can with the situation. Sadly forcing the owner to sell the team isn't an option. So getting assets and hoping he does sell the team before those assets become players that don't want to stay around is the best plan.

this is going to be a Eric Lindros/Scott Neidermayer situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad