GDT: Around the League Thread Part VIII - 2019-20 Season Edition!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nunymare

/ˈnʌnimɛr/
Sep 14, 2008
YEG
Season starts tomorrow, time to start anew!

Laine is a strange player though. Very inconsistent. I think the team was unwilling to do big years and big dollars. They need more information on him.
Looks like Dobson has made the Isles
The Flyers lost to HC Lausanne haha.

Hart listened to Schwartz too much in the offseason and let in 4 goals on 12 shots before getting pulled.

1st goal: over his left shoulder after a bad rebound
2nd goal: over his blocker
3rd goal: slapper over his right shoulder
4th goal: between his right arm and body

Haha, holy ****. You weren't kidding.

Man the Jets starting D looks so bad. Really bad.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
So after watching NFL for two days and then listening to Bud Steen on Gregor's show it got me thinking about instant replay.

The NHL is the one sport that does a terrible job at explaining why they made the decision they did.

In the NFL you have former officials being contacted back in LA(?) and you get a description of what they are seeing and what the rule really is.

Yesterday Steen mentioned something about being in the war room and went through the whole call in the Eskimo game the other night.

Why doesn't the NHL have anything remotely close to this? Can't have a Kerry Fraser or some other ex-official in the war room that the TV broadcasts can reach out and get some insight into what they are thinking? Instead we seem to be left confused and wondering what the actual rule is in the rule book.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Spezza healthy scratched for the leafs opener vs Ottawa. Did Spezza decide to put in a 700k salary level of effort in his offseason training?

North

Jun 25, 2009
A new Babcock vendetta? Love it! Him and Dumbas should just box it out one day.

To add insult to injury since this may very well be Spezza’s last year he really wanted to play in the home opener in his hometown since it’ll probably be his only chance...and Babcock scratches him anyways for Nick Shore.

Reactions: oobga

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Babcock has always worn the last four letters of his name with pride.
If the Leafs don't go deep in the playoffs this year Babcock gets fired. He has worn out his welcome in TO and will need a deep run to get it back.

If Matthews is the Captain things may be quieter. But if its Tavares I suspect the rift between Babcock and Matthews will grow.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
If the Leafs don't go deep in the playoffs this year Babcock gets fired. He has worn out his welcome in TO and will need a deep run to get it back.

If Matthews is the Captain things may be quieter. But if its Tavares I suspect the rift between Babcock and Matthews will grow.
Honestly Matthews should not get offended at all if he doesn't get the C. He's made it clear he isn't ready off the ice.

Further to that I'd be happy not to be the captain in Toronto. The shit show he'll have to deal with just isn't worth it. Heck it's gonna be a shit show whoever gets it for the next couple weeks anyway., something I'll grab my popcorn and enjoy.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Honestly Matthews should not get offended at all if he doesn't get the C. He's made it clear he isn't ready off the ice.

Further to that I'd be happy not to be the captain in Toronto. The **** show he'll have to deal with just isn't worth it. Heck it's gonna be a **** show whoever gets it for the next couple weeks anyway., something I'll grab my popcorn and enjoy.
I don't disagree. But It sure looks like he wants it. I am not so sure he won't get it because I think management is conscious of the fact that he is not an entirely happy camper with how he is being used on the ice.

The guy is making $16M US this year so to be honest, they could ask him to act as a valet after the game and he probably should be content.

Reactions: joestevens29

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Mitch Marner with an $11M turnover on the first shift of the season.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad