Around the League Thread | Playoffs 🏒

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luongos Knob

PDO Kings
Jan 20, 2009
And then explicitly says he doesn't care about the term: “I’m not worried about six or seven right now. I’m worried about one. And Year One, I know we’re going to have a very good player. I believe that he’s got a lot of good years left in him.”

That's probably one of the worst self-indictments an NHL GM has ever said. Until Jim Benning's "we live day by day" quote. Or Jim Benning's "we like European skill with North American heart" quote. Or the time he revealed he didn't understand what a seller's market was. Or the time he described Erik Gudbranson has having a good first pass.

Christ, of the 50 dumbest things an NHL GM has ever said, Benning's probably responsible for like 43 of them. Gretzky-like dominance.
how about Benning playing the draft simulator for hours? Its gotta be my favourite

Last edited:

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
how about Benning playing the draft simulator for hours? Its gotta be my favourite
Bahahahaha imagine those who defended him til the end and beyond :biglaugh:

Reactions: quat and jd22

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver
whenever i would see leafs fans complain about having jim hughson as their PBP guy because he was "biased for the canucks", i always laughed because they truly didn't understand that edwards was the perfect example of bias in support of a team

Reactions: vanuck and Vector

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
whenever i would see leafs fans complain about having jim hughson as their PBP guy because he was "biased for the canucks", i always laughed because they truly didn't understand that edwards was the perfect example of bias in support of a team

They also had decades of Bob Cole preceded by decades of the Hewitts. I'd consider them more classic examples of biased broadcasters, whereas Edwards was a lunatic, idiot piece of garbage that liked to advocate for injuring players on other teams while making wildly inappropriate and unprofessional comments from his perch up in the press box.

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver
They also had decades of Bob Cole preceded by decades of the Hewitts. I'd consider them more classic examples of biased broadcasters, whereas Edwards was a lunatic, idiot piece of garbage that liked to advocate for injuring players on other teams while making wildly inappropriate and unprofessional comments from his perch up in the press box.
Yeah it truly was unlike anything seen before.

I maintain that Bob Cole was always terrible from an auditory perspective, but the Canucks are pretty spoiled with having Jim Robson/Jim Hughson/John Shorthouse all in a row. Thankfully Shorthouse is fairly young and we can hopefully have him for at least another decade, unless he gets the Garrett treatment...

Reactions: quat and Vector

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016

First and foremost - I hope he leads a healthy retirement.

That said, thank God. What a God awful sports personality who should never have been allowed near a microphone. Good riddance.

eeb.png

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
NHL refs are such a joke they refuse to even address let alone attempt to fix.

Also good riddance jack one of the woat get lost forever.
If we didn’t have to hear the NESN feed so often we wouldn’t care. Amazing how Homer the us feeds are for all sports.

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
With dumb as rocks GMs, you *want* them to be a little gunshy. Eg, Dave Nonis. In Vancouver, he was labeled a do-nothing thumb twiddler. Aside from the Luongo move which fell into his lap, his legacy is what, Willie Mitchell and 1 year of Anson Carter?

Then in Toronto he found his big boy pants and proceeded to make historically bad moves like the Bolland signing, Grabovski buyout, Clarkson signing, etc.

I know which version of Dave I'd prefer. As someone with some affection for the Buffalo market, I'd hate to see Kevyn Adams get bold.

To give him credit he also held off an owner who wanted to do a bunch of dumb shit. It's stupid to say that he built the team when he really didn't do much, but at the very least he didn't make a bunch of panic moves to save his job.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011

First and foremost - I hope he leads a healthy retirement.

That said, thank God. What a God awful sports personality who should never have been allowed near a microphone. Good riddance.

I actually had never heard him call significant parts of a game and I was shocked when I came across a Bruins matchup earlier this season. In addition to his known homerism, he sounded very stilted and behind the play to me. Was he like this his entire career?

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Guess tonight could also be Torts final game as an nhl HC. Philly could go in a different direction since Briere didn’t hire him.

Already seen Ott, Stl, NJ, Edm, Buff Change HC. Figure Columbus does as well with a new GM coming in and the current one a last minute replacement for Babs.

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
Of the three teams the Canucks could face this season, the Preds are probably the best matchup. The Canucks went 3-0 against them with solid underlying numbers. They should be 2:1 favourites in a 7 game series.

They had the worst record against LA but carried the play in all the games. LA got really lucky by scoring first in every game, and it's hard to come back against that style.

Vegas is probably the worst matchup. The team went 2-2 but had some terrible possession numbers. Their regular season hasn't been very inspiring but you can't really blame a team for not taking the regular season very seriously after they've just won a cup.

Reactions: Horvat1C

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
I actually had never heard him call significant parts of a game and I was shocked when I came across a Bruins matchup earlier this season. In addition to his known homerism, he sounded very stilted and behind the play to me. Was he like this his entire career?
His loss for words and constantly being behind the play has been happening for a few seasons now and has been intensifying badly.

It sure seems like he had a stroke. Apparently he had medical tests that didn’t detect anything. Either way he shouldn’t be broadcasting any more.

Reactions: mossey3535

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
The fact that some teams finish the season three days earlier than others is dumb as shit.
Yep. That's on the NHL for scheduling and/or not advising teams that they want all games done within 2 days of each other when asking for home dates. NBA got them all done this past weekend.

4 teams finished on Monday.
9 teams finish on Tuesday (tonight)
7 teams finish on Wednesday
12 teams finish on Thursday

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Some of the local guys are saying the 21st now. But nobody really knows.

Could be some conflicts with some concerts happening at Rogers on the 4,5, 6 etc.

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver
Sutherland screwing over the Flyers
He's been horrible tonight. Botched the call by blowing the whistle too early, and he didn't call a blatant hit from behind on Hathway right in front of his eyes. Wonder why the NHL holds him in such high regard.

Reactions: calnuck

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
He's been horrible tonight. Botched the call by blowing the whistle too early, and he didn't call a blatant hit from behind on Hathway right in front of his eyes. Wonder why the NHL holds him in such high regard.

He's been around long enough to know where all the bodies are buried.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC

StickShift nailed it; this part is new and worrisome for his health, and there’s no real medical explanation (he got tested).

But prior to that, he’s just been an idiot piece of shit with a microphone for forever. He needed to be fired ages ago for his caveman antics and takes.

Reactions: quat and mossey3535
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad