Around the League Thread | Playoffs 🏒

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
And it ZEROS the odds we play the Kings.

I don't know where to find the match up odds calculator but prior to last night we were around 78% to play Nashville. My assumption is that with no chance of playing LA coupled with fewer games remaining there is a higher than 78% chance we pair up with Nashville.

Happy to be wrong if you have information that disproves that.

It doesn't zero the odds we play the Kings, the Canucks will still play LA if they pass Dallas.

I used Sportsclub Stats and the Wayback Machine to check yesterday and both days the Canucks are 5.1% to play LA in the first round, Nashville's odds did increase but the change in percentage was taken from Vegas not from LA, so we're both partially right.

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
It doesn't zero the odds we play the Kings, the Canucks will still play LA if they pass Dallas.

I used Sportsclub Stats and the Wayback Machine to check yesterday and both days the Canucks are 5.1% to play LA in the first round, Nashville's odds did increase but the change in percentage was taken from Vegas not from LA, so we're both partially right.

I mean dude you started a debate with me when all I said was the bolded.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
My first preference is to see Vegas play Dallas.
That would be a battle royal.
That would leave LA playing Edmonton, a rivalry
And Vancouver playing the Preds. The Preds and Vancouver have very similar stats
But that Dallas/Vegas matchup will be epic.

I would hope to see Vancouver, Edmonton and Vegas go through. Vegas or Dallas will be pretty beaten up

The other series;
The Peg vs the Avalanche with the Peg going through.

2nd round then would be

Vancouver vs Vegas
Edmonton vs the Peg

I think this gives the Canucks the best chance of advancement to the conference final.

Reactions: M2Beezy

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Pretty ridiculous tbh. Nashville gets how many days rest? The Canucks will get a heck of a lot less.
Friedman thinks the Canucks likely wouldn't start their playoffs on the weekend, with G1 on the 22nd or 23rd. They'd get a fair bit of rest.

That situation is more unfavourable to Nashville. They're already done their season. You're running into more "rust" than rest at that point.

Another reason why my preferred matchup is the Preds.

vanarchy

May 3, 2013
I know I should be cheering for Vegas to go through the Central but the potential Edmonton/Vegas series would be hilarious from an entertainment perspective.

Reactions: M2Beezy

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Friedman thinks the Canucks likely wouldn't start their playoffs on the weekend, with G1 on the 22nd or 23rd. They'd get a fair bit of rest.

That situation is more unfavourable to Nashville. They're already done their season. You're running into more "rust" than rest at that point.

Another reason why my preferred matchup is the Preds.
It's a long season, so the Preds players are most likely getting Tue/Wed off from any team activities. Good to have that.

NBA managed to have all of their reg games done on Sunday. To allow the games for the play in this week before PO begin on Sat. They use the same arenas yet the NHL can't figure out how to get teams to end on the final 2 days of the season?

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
It's a long season, so the Preds players are most likely getting Tue/Wed off from any team activities. Good to have that.

NBA managed to have all of their reg games done on Sunday. To allow the games for the play in this week before PO begin on Sat. They use the same arenas yet the NHL can't figure out how to get teams to end on the final 2 days of the season?
I'm not really making a judgement on why or why not the NHL has scheduled the playoffs like they have, so not sure exactly what you are responding to me about. It does seem bizarre to me that some teams might already have played G2 by the time the Canucks series starts.

I'm just responding to the fact that some think Nashville will have an unfair rest advantage. I do not agree with that. They will be running into more rust than rest after more than a week off.

Last edited:

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
My first preference is to see Vegas play Dallas.
That would be a battle royal.
That would leave LA playing Edmonton, a rivalry
And Vancouver playing the Preds. The Preds and Vancouver have very similar stats
But that Dallas/Vegas matchup will be epic.

I would hope to see Vancouver, Edmonton and Vegas go through. Vegas or Dallas will be pretty beaten up

The other series;
The Peg vs the Avalanche with the Peg going through.

2nd round then would be

Vancouver vs Vegas
Edmonton vs the Peg

I think this gives the Canucks the best chance of advancement to the conference final.

I could be wrong here but I think the brackets are fixed and don't reseed after each round. So round 2 in your case would be:

Vancouver vs Edmonton
Winnipeg vs Vegas

Reactions: theguardianII

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco

Interesting that Kevyn Adams gets to hire another coach. He had a brutal offseason - completely wasted his cap space on Clifton, Johnson, and bringing back Okposo and Jost; didn't address goaltending and threw a rookie to the wolves.

Reactions: mossey3535

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I'm not really making a judgement on why or why not the NHL has scheduled the playoffs like they have, so not sure exactly what your are responding to me about. It does seem bizarre to me that some teams might already have played G2 by the time the Canucks series starts.

I'm just responding to the fact that some think Nashville will have an unfair rest advantage. I do not agree with that. They will be running into more rust than rest after more than a week off.
Rangers are also done and they'd have a week off too. But, that's all on the NHL for their schedule making. If the NBA can figure out how to do it to end on the last 2 days, NHL has no excuse for not matching that.

And Van is returning home from Winnipeg, which isn't exactly next door in AB or in SEA or something.
Is the NHL even playing this weekend? NBA seems to have captured the entire weekend for the start of their PO.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Rangers are also done and they'd have a week off too. But, that's all on the NHL for their schedule making. If the NBA can figure out how to do it to end on the last 2 days, NHL has no excuse for not matching that.

And Van is returning home from Winnipeg, which isn't exactly next door in AB or in SEA or something.
Is the NHL even playing this weekend? NBA seems to have captured the entire weekend for the start of their PO.
Again, my comment really was not about how the NHL is doing the scheduling. Yes, it seems bizarre, I agree. I'm not sure what other point you're trying to make.

RE the bolded: Yes, they are. Playoffs start on the 20th.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

Interesting that Kevyn Adams gets to hire another coach. He had a brutal offseason - completely wasted his cap space on Clifton, Johnson, and bringing back Okposo and Jost; didn't address goaltending and threw a rookie to the wolves.

Adams inherited Krueger when he took the GM role in 2020. So, Granato was his first hire.

Any GM gets to hire 2 HC. But, don't get to fire 2 if they don't achieve their first goal, which in Buff's case is making the PO. If the next HC doesn't get them there in say 2 seasons, Adams is out with the HC.

I mean, that's how it should work. JB hired WD, then Green. Green didn't get the job done, so he was fired along with Green.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Was talking to a friend about the possibility of a Tuesday start time and they told me there's some big country music concert booked at Rogers Arena for Saturday and Sunday. So the earliest they could conceivably play is Monday.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Was talking to a friend about the possibility of a Tuesday start time and they told me there's some big country music concert booked at Rogers Arena for Saturday and Sunday. So the earliest they could conceivably play is Monday.
Have 4 CAD series with Tor, Win, Edm, Van. Win/Col is MST, Tor will be EST. Van is PST and likely CST with Nash. Edm will be MST and PST with either LA/LV.

See how SN wants it setup. Tor and Van on same night or Tor/Edm. Don't think Tor and Win are going on the same night if SN has anything to say about it.

That's the event schedule for Rogers. Seems empty after the Cal game until the JT concert on the 29th.

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
Adams inherited Krueger when he took the GM role in 2020. So, Granato was his first hire.

Any GM gets to hire 2 HC. But, don't get to fire 2 if they don't achieve their first goal, which in Buff's case is making the PO. If the next HC doesn't get them there in say 2 seasons, Adams is out with the HC.

I mean, that's how it should work. JB hired WD, then Green. Green didn't get the job done, so he was fired along with Green.

I've heard this rule before, but I think it's stupid. A bad GM is a bad GM - Craig Leipold didn't wait to fire Paul Fenton as Wild GM when it was obvious he was a screwup. I've seen enough with Adams.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I've heard this rule before, but I think it's stupid. A bad GM is a bad GM - Craig Leipold didn't wait to fire Paul Fenton as Wild GM when it was obvious he was a screwup. I've seen enough with Adams.
I would not call it a rule, but given the time it takes to develop players, your GM gets some time. It's now 4 years for Adams, so up to owner to make a call if he's the guy they want calling the shots.

Adams has been passive with his moves. Had to make the Eichel deal, and so far Krebs is a meh player. Down to relying on Tuch and Ostlund to be the difference makers in that trade.

He needs to make moves to get the team over the hump. Unlike Fenton, Adams was with Buffalo before getting promoted for about a year. Fenton came from Nashville under Poile. Owner had some intel on him as the former owner of Nash, but probably his main interaction was with Poile and only limited with Fenton.

Last edited:

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013

image0.jpg

I assume the remaining 5% is our odds of playing Vegas.

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
I would not call it a rule, but given the time it takes to develop players, your GM gets some time. It's now 4 years for Adams, so up to owner to make a call if he's the guy they want calling the shots.

Adams has been passive with his moves. Had to make the Eichel deal, and so far Krebs is a meh player. Down to relying on Tuch and Ostlund to be the difference makers in that trade.

He needs to make moves to get the team over the hump. Unlike Fenton, Adams was with Buffalo before getting promoted for about a year. Fenton came from Nashville under Poile. Owner had some intel on him as the former owner of Nash, but probably his main interaction was with Poile and only limited with Fenton.

With dumb as rocks GMs, you *want* them to be a little gunshy. Eg, Dave Nonis. In Vancouver, he was labeled a do-nothing thumb twiddler. Aside from the Luongo move which fell into his lap, his legacy is what, Willie Mitchell and 1 year of Anson Carter?

Then in Toronto he found his big boy pants and proceeded to make historically bad moves like the Bolland signing, Grabovski buyout, Clarkson signing, etc.

I know which version of Dave I'd prefer. As someone with some affection for the Buffalo market, I'd hate to see Kevyn Adams get bold.

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華
With dumb as rocks GMs, you *want* them to be a little gunshy. Eg, Dave Nonis. In Vancouver, he was labeled a do-nothing thumb twiddler. Aside from the Luongo move which fell into his lap, his legacy is what, Willie Mitchell and 1 year of Anson Carter?

Then in Toronto he found his big boy pants and proceeded to make historically bad moves like the Bolland signing, Grabovski buyout, Clarkson signing, etc.

I know which version of Dave I'd prefer. As someone with some affection for the Buffalo market, I'd hate to see Kevyn Adams get bold.
Man the Clarkson signing is still hard to comprehend. Everyone and their grandpas knew he was going to be overpaid... then Nonis proceeds to not just throw way too much money but give massive term too, for a guy who never broke 50 points or had come close to replicating his 30 goal season. The guy scores 29 that one year and he probably doesn't get the deal LOL

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
Man the Clarkson signing is still hard to comprehend. Everyone and their grandpas knew he was going to be overpaid... then Nonis proceeds to not just throw way too much money but give massive term too, for a guy who never broke 50 points or had come close to replicating his 30 goal season. The guy scores 29 that one year and he probably doesn't get the deal LOL
And then explicitly says he doesn't care about the term: “I’m not worried about six or seven right now. I’m worried about one. And Year One, I know we’re going to have a very good player. I believe that he’s got a lot of good years left in him.”

That's probably one of the worst self-indictments an NHL GM has ever said. Until Jim Benning's "we live day by day" quote. Or Jim Benning's "we like European skill with North American heart" quote. Or the time he revealed he didn't understand what a seller's market was. Or the time he described Erik Gudbranson has having a good first pass.

Christ, of the 50 dumbest things an NHL GM has ever said, Benning's probably responsible for like 43 of them. Gretzky-like dominance.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC

The moment from 28:10 to 28:32 of this video never ceases to make me burst out laughing.

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006
And then explicitly says he doesn't care about the term: “I’m not worried about six or seven right now. I’m worried about one. And Year One, I know we’re going to have a very good player. I believe that he’s got a lot of good years left in him.”

That's probably one of the worst self-indictments an NHL GM has ever said. Until Jim Benning's "we live day by day" quote. Or Jim Benning's "we like European skill with North American heart" quote. Or the time he revealed he didn't understand what a seller's market was. Or the time he described Erik Gudbranson has having a good first pass.

Christ, of the 50 dumbest things an NHL GM has ever said, Benning's probably responsible for like 43 of them. Gretzky-like dominance.

By the holy powers of Christopher Hitchens, why did you have to remind me of that breathtakingly stupid quote from Benning? I was having a nice day.

Reactions: Burke's Evil Spirit

SillyRabbit

Trix Are For Kids
Jan 3, 2006
I'm not really making a judgement on why or why not the NHL has scheduled the playoffs like they have, so not sure exactly what you are responding to me about. It does seem bizarre to me that some teams might already have played G2 by the time the Canucks series starts.

I actually think that rest at this point in the season is an advantage.

Guys are banged up.

Demko could use some more time off.

Pettersson may or may not be nursing an injury.

Miller could use some rest.

Hughes is top 10 in league ice time.

Lindholm has been dealing with a nagging injury.

I would gladly take a week of rest, even if it meant that the team was a bit rusty for Game 1.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I actually think that rest at this point in the season is an advantage.

Guys are banged up.

Demko could use some more time off.

Pettersson may or may not be nursing an injury.

Miller could use some rest.

Hughes is top 10 in league ice time.

Lindholm has been dealing with a nagging injury.

I would gladly take a week of rest, even if it meant that the team was a bit rusty for Game 1.
If your team is on a great roll, I get the rust factor. But, been a while now since Nash's monster 20 game run of great play. That's why Van needs to secure their point tonight to obtain home ice for rounds 1 and 2. Whatever happens if/when they get to round 3, they only for sure would have home ice vs Colorado.

But, they would be better off resting Quinn, Petey, Miller for the Win game and keeping them in Van vs 6 hours on a plane for a 1 off road game. If Demko doesn't need the game action, I'd be inclined to keep him home as well.

Reactions: SillyRabbit
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad