GDT: Around the league talk | Non-Leaf games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Bring on the goalie controversy. Luongo starting third in a row, and against Chicago no less.

Luongo has been amazing so far this year, and cory has been "solid", I guess you ride the hot hand, but wow.

Most VAN fans seem to be in denial over this contoversey. Seems pretty obvious to everyone else.

EJsens1

Aug 20, 2003
Ottawa
Visit site
I don't get how the Sens are doing what they are doing.

Their roster is absolutely LITTERED with AHL caliber players. Daugevins? O'Brien? Condra? Greening? Boroviecki? Benoit? Regin? Even Zack Smith isn't anything to write home about. Zibinajed/Silfverberg, while promising, are very young still and nothing I'd want to rely on yet. EVERY single team has guys of equal skill/caliber all through their organization. Put these guys on the trading block and they are getting you what? 3rd/4th round picks?

I don't know how you can say littered with AHL players. All the forwards you mention played almost if not all in the NHL last season and the some games the year before. They are legitimate NHLers. They are bottom 6 players except for Greening who has top 6 ability. I agree that they are stretching it with the losses and depth on defense, but as you alluded to, Anderson playing excellent hockey has covered guys like Benoit, borowiecki and wiercioch for now. Plus karlsson and methot are a great pairing. Karlsson has been a notch above everyone else on both teams every game.

Alffy is 40 for crying out loud. Phillips is a borderline top 4 dman now. Gonchar is like 38.
Phillips is a not a top 4 guy anymore. But what these guys bring is vast experience and leadership.

I look at their roster and just can't comprehend how, for the life of me, they are a "good" team. It has to be their strength down the middle. Spezza/Turris, Karlsson and Anderson have been great. Other than say 5-6 players, the rest of their roster leaves a LOT to be desired.

They are a well coached team. Have key positions filled with key guys. They have a lot of players who know their 'roles' on the team. Lastly, they like each other. They hang out together as a team for dinner and drinks all the time. There aren't too many cliques. That goes a long way in their success.

BrawlFan

Apr 17, 2009
I don't get how the Sens are doing what they are doing.

Their roster is absolutely LITTERED with AHL caliber players. Daugevins? O'Brien? Condra? Greening? Boroviecki? Benoit? Regin? Even Zack Smith isn't anything to write home about. Zibinajed/Silfverberg, while promising, are very young still and nothing I'd want to rely on yet. EVERY single team has guys of equal skill/caliber all through their organization. Put these guys on the trading block and they are getting you what? 3rd/4th round picks?

Alffy is 40 for crying out loud. Phillips is a borderline top 4 dman now. Gonchar is like 38.

I look at their roster and just can't comprehend how, for the life of me, they are a "good" team. It has to be their strength down the middle. Spezza/Turris, Karlsson and Anderson have been great. Other than say 5-6 players, the rest of their roster leaves a LOT to be desired.

Luck and a good schedule have played a part in it as well. The guys you are mentioning are just there to fit a role, I don't think Ottawa fans/management care if any of the guys you mentinoed do anything better than play good defence so their tasks aren't too too difficult if they simply skate and backcheck. In terms of our top guys they have been finishing when they need to and like I've said been lucky at times (Washington game). Saying that, I beleive we will finish 8th withouth Spezz in the lineup however it'll be really really tough and wouldne be surprised if we miss the show.

Last edited:

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Luck and a good schedule have played a part in it as well. The guys you are mentioning are just there to fit a role, I don't think Ottawa fans/management care if any of the guys you mentinoed do anything better than play good defence so their tasks aren't too too difficult if they simply skate and backcheck. In terms of our top guys they have been finishing when they need to and like I've said been lucky at times (Washington game). Saying that I beleive we will finish 8th withouth Spezz in the lineup however it'll be really really tough and wouldne be surprised if we miss the show.

Ottawa will make the playoffs IMO, 6th-8th spot.

They just need to play a bit above .500 and they're in.

Anderson trade was amazing. I think that's one of the best trades in the last two years. He had some injury problems in Colorado and played hot and cold but Ottawa got him for nothing and he's played great for them.

I know it's only 6 games in but those stats are mind blowing..if he can play half as good as he is now, the Sens are going to at least give competition to the Bruins for the division.

Murray is a great GM...he locked up Anderson quick for such a great deal.

Calacatz

Jacked!
Aug 10, 2005
Keith Aucoin 4 goals already

Why would the Leafs let this guy go? He was looking good on Marlies too.. Anyone have more info on what happened here?

Grant

LL Genius
Jan 16, 2012
London
Invited to camp. Not good enough to make the team. Went on waivers to go back down to the Marlies. Got picked up by NYI on waivers.

Space Coyote

Oct 29, 2010
Haha Jets were leading 3-2 now down 4-3 against the Panthers.

Gotta enjoy watching the Jets lose.

Space Coyote

Oct 29, 2010
that's just sad to see although worse for me since i have pavelec as my goalie tonight :laugh:

Yeah it's sad too see he was solid in net most of the game and Pav's has pretty much owned Florida over his short career, doesn't he have a 7-2-1 record against the Panthers? with 5-0-1 in Florida? heard the play by play guys saying it on FSN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad