Around the League - Stanley Cup Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
not sure... more physically aggressive yes, but, then a PP starts and they back off, get into a box, and let them pass around at will. if that happened in the North, the scores would all be 7-6 or higher. the PK in the North is far more pressure based vs structure

I noticed that too. Those PK's looked like the PK's we torched at a 40% rate in the first month or two. Then teams figured out that you just need to pressure Marner and the PP dies.

As you said, they looked more physical, but I don't think the teams really looked "good". They looked very sloppy in fact. There were times when the other team made some really good plays or pressured, but there were also a lot of stupid, unforced errors or goalies who overcompensating way too much.

mydnyte

Sep 8, 2004
I noticed that too. Those PK's looked like the PK's we torched at a 40% rate in the first month or two. Then teams figured out that you just need to pressure Marner and the PP dies.

As you said, they looked more physical, but I don't think the teams really looked "good". They looked very sloppy in fact. There were times when the other team made some really good plays or pressured, but there were also a lot of stupid, unforced errors or goalies who overcompensating way too much.
Point's first goal is a great example... was expecting the 1-timer and left the entire net open on the pass

keonsbitterness

Sep 14, 2010
south of Steeles
FLA-TB game took my breath away. That was big-boy hockey.

Bennett was both great and terrible. You just can't take a really dumb penalty like that late in the 3rd period. Aggression is necessary in the playoffs, but out-of-control aggression will kill you sooner or later.

Not surprised both defences had issues in a game played at such a fast pace and with so many quick transitions. Interesting to see if there will be adjustments in game 2 or more of the same.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Florida lost Ekblab while TB adds Kutcherov. Two lineup changes that probably tilts the series in favour of the Lightning. Too bad because the Panthers have some nice depth up front.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
1 game for bennett.

Honestly surprised it wasn't more considering what Kadri was handed.

But I mean Colin Campbell has direct ties to the Bruins so can't say I'm surprised.

Reactions: Jimmy Firecracker

smokes lets go

Oct 18, 2008
I don't disagree but who is that? Muzzin has a good shot, but he's not much of a PP QB. Sandin might have a better shot than Rielly, but I'm not sure he really does at this point.

The reason TB has a lethal PP is because there are threats everywhere. I just don't see it on the Leafs. Everything is forced through Marner and Matthews, they rarely use the bumper or down low play, teams heavily cheat to Matthews and cover and cross seam pass so we end up with a wrist shot from Rielly or Marner.
We don't but I think Sandin is the best option, and I don't think Hedman is an elite PP QB in the NHL either.

willmma

Jan 5, 2017
1 game for bennett.

Honestly surprised it wasn't more considering what Kadri was handed.

But I mean Colin Campbell has direct ties to the Bruins so can't say I'm surprised.

Kadri would executed by a firing squad if he pulled a hit like that

Reactions: Duffman955

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
We don't but I think Sandin is the best option, and I don't think Hedman is an elite PP QB in the NHL either.

I doubt Sandin even plays in the playoffs this year regularly, unless we have injuries, or perhaps on a back to back.

It's probably Rielly, Brodie, Muzzin, Holl, Dermott and Bogo... Odds are slim anyone else gets in....

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
This amused me.

Attachments

• upload_2021-5-17_19-8-50.png
    upload_2021-5-17_19-8-50.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 7

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
I doubt Sandin even plays in the playoffs this year regularly, unless we have injuries, or perhaps on a back to back.

It's probably Rielly, Brodie, Muzzin, Holl, Dermott and Bogo... Odds are slim anyone else gets in....
I mean he is practicing on the 1st PP unit...so I would venture a guess that he will be playing Thursday night.

Reactions: Gallagbi

Azail

Oct 11, 2017
I don't think that is because we lack threats. It is just for whatever reason, we refuse to use them at all.

Our 5-on-4 PP's are pretty much 2-on-4's. Maybe 2.5 if you count Rielly having to just act as a safety valve for Marner. We hardly use Nylander and Tavares for some reason.

I don't know if that is Marner's fault, Malhotra's fault, or a mix of a bunch of factors... I just know that the talent, skills, players, etc. on the PP is not the main issue, if it is an issue at all. Talent wise we easily have one of the best PP's in the league. That doesn't matter if you have guys playing like we are a man down instead of a man up though.
I agree with this. It honestly feels like we are more dangerous 5v5 than 5v4 at this point in time.

I have often wondered why Nylander/Matthews isn't tried on the wings with Marner down-low bumping to JT (or vice-versa). Maybe Rielly really is the issue, but it didn't really get better with Sandin there (although in a very short stint). It has just been the same setup but switching Marner and Matthews back and forth on their strong and weak side, and it hasn't worked for, 20+ games. I honestly am WELL past the point of thinking our PP will just all of a sudden wake up, and I think it could be costly in the playoffs, as it has been the last 2-3 years during this time of year.

Reactions: SeaOfBlue

Azail

Oct 11, 2017
Honestly, I don't watch Tampa enough to say he is or isn't an elite PP QB. But I do like Tampa's weapons on the PP more than ours. Maybe Sandin can come in and use a little more creativity than Rielly's patented wrist flicks from the point to open up some seams for the boys.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I agree with this. It honestly feels like we are more dangerous 5v5 than 5v4 at this point in time.

I have often wondered why Nylander/Matthews isn't tried on the wings with Marner down-low bumping to JT (or vice-versa). Maybe Rielly really is the issue, but it didn't really get better with Sandin there (although in a very short stint). It has just been the same setup but switching Marner and Matthews back and forth on their strong and weak side, and it hasn't worked for, 20+ games. I honestly am WELL past the point of thinking our PP will just all of a sudden wake up, and I think it could be costly in the playoffs, as it has been the last 2-3 years during this time of year.

I'd be concerned about Rielly if he was not able to make the passes or hold the line, but he is doing what he is supposed to be doing (apparently, based on the moves he is making and based on the fact that he has not been taken off of the PP). It's just what he is supposed to be doing seems to be a complete waste of his talent.

Reactions: Azail

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
Seeing all these fans back for these series and our division will have none. Gonna suck but hopefully by the 2nd round we can start bringing them in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad