Around the League - Stanley Cup Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Tampa's PP winning them a game. Wierd how that works.
It is the one thing that I think will sink us against the top tier teams. I think we can survive our special teams deficiencies in the first couple rounds...you run into a Tampa or a Boston and it can literally be the difference in the series. Hell we have lost 2 series in the last 3 years to the Bruins as it is because they have caved us in on special teams.

smokes lets go

Oct 18, 2008
Kucherov back in time to beat up Florida...what a coincidence he couldn't be back on time for the regular season...:sarcasm:
Im convinced when he had the surgery and the recovery timeline lined up like this, they made sure he wouldn't play until the playoffs. Is having him play 3-5 regular season games worth the cap casualties it would have cost? I don't think so. I don't think his injury was some big conspiracy, but i definately think JBB turned a bad injury into a fortutitous cap situation..

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
It is the one thing that I think will sink us against the top tier teams. I think we can survive our special teams deficiencies in the first couple rounds...you run into a Tampa or a Boston and it can literally be the difference in the series. Hell we have lost 2 series in the last 3 years to the Bruins as it is because they have caved us in on special teams.

The special teams need to work themselves out throughout the playoffs, hopefully it heats up at the right time.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

Goaltending and special teams so often are the difference in the playoffs. That's why I was so excited when we started the season so hot on the PP and also why there's good reason to be concerned.

BTW the popular POV seems to be that we'll get through the first rounds but people shouldn't sleep on EDM, they have a good team over there and I don't see why we should be big favourites against them.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Tampa's PP winning them a game. Wierd how that works.

Need a guy who can make quick, cross seam passes and we will be golden. Marner has not made a pass resembling that Huberdeau pass on the PP in months.

They also have their scorer's sticks towards the slot and not the boards. Matthews' stick is against the board.

Reactions: stickty111

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
Im convinced when he had the surgery and the recovery timeline lined up like this, they made sure he wouldn't play until the playoffs. Is having him play 3-5 regular season games worth the cap casualties it would have cost? I don't think so. I don't think his injury was some big conspiracy, but i definately think JBB turned a bad injury into a fortutitous cap situation..

That's the whole purpose of him not playing in the regular season, it is to circumvent the cap.

Reactions: Seath The Scaleless

smokes lets go

Oct 18, 2008
That's the whole purpose of him not playing in the regular season, it is to circumvent the cap.
Well ya thats what im saying. People on one side have been saying 'zomg hes been healthy for months' and tampa fans 'oh it just conveniently turned out this way' when i believe hes been healthy for maybe a few weeks, or they timed the hip surgery knowing how long the recovery would take. Either way its not the first time ltir has been abused but if nothing else it needs to be addressed by the nhl this offseason, its such a farce on the salary cap in so mant ways.

Oct 15, 2014
The Duke's Archives

I applaud the move. The cap sucks, so if you can circumvent in any way, then take advantage of it.

smokes lets go

Oct 18, 2008
I applaud the move. The cap sucks, so if you can circumvent in any way, then take advantage of it.
Oh for sure. People mad should direct their anger at the nhl, we are no saints when it comes to flexing our financial muscles with ltir abuse.

Also, huberdeau is going to be a in a top 6 role on team canada it we go next year, no doubt about that.

Reactions: Seath The Scaleless

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Remind me when we sat our best player an entire season to circumvent the cap?

We did the same thing with Nash and Andersen to be able to afford other guys. They've been practicing for a few weeks now too and probably could have come back earlier in the regular season if we had the cap space to bring them back in the regular season.

It's not the same extent as Tampa, but we did the same thing to be able to afford other guys (Rittich, Foligno, etc.).

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
We did the same thing with Nash and Andersen to be able to afford other guys. They've been practicing for a few weeks now too and probably could have come back earlier in the regular season if we had the cap space to bring them back in the regular season.

It's not the same extent as Tampa, but we did the same thing to be able to afford other guys (Rittich, Foligno, etc.).
Andersen played in the regular season. The Leafs still had to be cap compliant to fit him in

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Not a whole lot of defense in this Bolts/Cats tilt. And man, a whole lot of power plays.

Goaltending has been iffy too. Not atrocious, especially given the number of shots and defensive misplays, but some really bad misplays in terms of positioning and sliding way too much in their crease.

Both goalies look very beatable.

Reactions: CincoHolio

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
This game is like a more physical version of the Toronto Boston series...Florida fully carrying it at 5v5 but Tampa's PP being the equalizer. What a f***ing PP it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->