Around the League: Second Round Starts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
With the new lottery system being the same as nba I cant believe the flames were willing to trade a unprotected 1st. Like the chances of getting a top 3 pick arent too bad and why take the risk of giving a pick thats unprotected. That was a poor deal for the flames even though hamonic is a good number 4 dman. Flames will need a major retool this offseason.

I like Hamonic, but I thought the Flyers making such a big jump in the draft lottery would've essentially spelt the end of trading unknown 1sts. Even if a repeat of that - or the bigger jump to 1st overall - is unlikely, the risk seems to not be worth the reward of any return received in trade.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Don't think any team that gets Dahlin is moving him...he might end up as good as Lidstrom if not better.

you might be right. Zadina/Svechnikov + the best NHL drafted D prospect is quite an offer though.
Is Dahlin really MORE than a Hieskanen lvl prospect above #2 and #3?

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Brian Burke: "I would match up our defense against any team in the league...." Testosterone, truculence, something, something...

We had Komisarek and Beauchemin at the time to name a couple...now, maybe he feels the same way about the Calgary d...:laugh:

some time he absolutely nailed it though.

"Rielly is the guy I would have taken at 1"

non leafs fans lose their mind and argue that Yakupov, murray, galchenyuk, reinhart are all way better. and then rielly ends up being better than pretty much all those guys combined

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
some time he absolutely nailed it though.

"Rielly is the guy I would have taken at 1"

non leafs fans lose their mind and argue that Yakupov, murray, galchenyuk, reinhart are all way better. and then rielly ends up being better than pretty much all those guys combined

I agree with Burke on Rielly...I thought it was a really dumb move for Edmonton to keep that #1 pick and draft Yakupov because they already had Hall and Eberle as wingers...the Oilers should have traded that #1 pick in a package for a true #1 dman, which they really missed, but maybe Tambelini was too dumbfounded and happy smiling from side to side after they got another #1 pick to be able to think properly.

Last edited:

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
you might be right. Zadina/Svechnikov + the best NHL drafted D prospect is quite an offer though.
Is Dahlin really MORE than a Hieskanen lvl prospect above #2 and #3?

Dahlin is a sure thing to be your next generational dman according to all the scouts...he's ready to step in and play in the NHL next year...he's going to be your 30 min plus a night game-breaking dman in any situation for the next decade...he's the consensus #1 pick in the draft and it's not even close. Why would any team trade that away?

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
Man, it really is sad that McDavid is going to win the scoring race and the Oilers are going to be nowhere near a playoff spot.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
Man, it really is sad that McDavid is going to win the scoring race and the Oilers are going to be nowhere near a playoff spot.
It's amazing how bad the Oilers are to make that a reality. A player so incredibly good, but the whole group just isn't remotely good enough.

This is partly why I really hoped he wouldn't land in Edmonton. You can give them a generational superstar and they'll find a way to still be bad.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
It's amazing how bad the Oilers are to make that a reality. A player so incredibly good, but the whole group just isn't remotely good enough.

This is partly why I really hoped he wouldn't land in Edmonton. You can give them a generational superstar and they'll find a way to still be bad.

honestly, and I keep saying it - and this isn't an Anti-Edmonton thing. the stupidest thing McDavid could have done was sign that eight year contract, because he was stuck, and he had all the cards. All he can do now is hope that things do get better in his time there. I feel there is a reason why a lot of 1st OVA's take the short road to UFA, and I think it's to ensure that the team does get better. for the most part they do, but....... you could be a Tavares instead of a Stamkos. (that's why it wouldn't surprise me (and i wouldn't blame him) if Matthews did the same thing. we're trending up (and we've shown we can do well without him and with other injuries in the line up).

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
With the new lottery system being the same as nba I cant believe the flames were willing to trade a unprotected 1st. Like the chances of getting a top 3 pick arent too bad and why take the risk of giving a pick thats unprotected. That was a poor deal for the flames even though hamonic is a good number 4 dman. Flames will need a major retool this offseason.
Plus look at last year when the Flyers jump from the 13th overall pick prior to the lottery to the 2nd overall pick. So something like that could happen to the Islanders via the Flames 1st round pick.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Brian Burke: "I would match up our defense against any team in the league...." Testosterone, truculence, something, something...

We had Komisarek and Beauchemin at the time to name a couple...now, maybe he feels the same way about the Calgary d...:laugh:
You forgot how Burke once said he would do the Phil Kessel trade all over again, even without making the 1st round pick conditional.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
McDavid really is about to win back to back Art Rosses. Needed in Toronto.

It'd absolutely be great for a Leaf to win the Art Ross, but I'd think McDavid would have liked back-to-back playoff berths in addition to that.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
The Flyers and Pens game is really important not only for divisional spots but also for home ice for both teams.
3-3 after 2

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
I hope Boston wins tonight as well. I want TB only because I want to see a new team playing us in the playoffs. Both will be tough either way.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I hope Boston wins tonight as well. I want TB only because I want to see a new team playing us in the playoffs. Both will be tough either way.

I'm different. I'd like to see us knock out the Bruins in round 1 to deepen the rivalry.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I'm different. I'd like to see us knock out the Bruins in round 1 to deepen the rivalry.
I was watching the 2nd intermission on NBC and wow did Roenick and Milbury ever talk up how great the Bruins are and basically said they will be the team to beat in the Eastern Conference, especially once they get Bergeron back. I get it they are a good team, but wow they act like these Bruins are some powerhouse of a team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->