Around the league: Playoffs III | No Canadian Teams Left in Playoffs...and nobody cares.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Yes, that’s what I am telling you. If the refs did their jobs, Vegas wins. I’ll agree that bad bounces, bad calls, etc are a part of hockey, but a major penalty that was completely unwarranted in a game where the team going to the PP had no life at all....it’s just a bit of a turning point no?

You can sit there and lay blame on Vegas for their collapse but let’s not be totally obtuse here and not properly identify the precipitating event that led to it.
I blame both

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
This isn't a 1 ref deal, a match/major penalty has to be discussed with all 4 officials. I actually think that match/major penalties should be able to be reviewed by the refs on the ice like a goal review with the iPad.

Sure it's easy to see from a top down optimal view (best angle in the whole stadium to see play) that it's barely a penalty, especially played back in slow motion. However, as a ref you don't get to see over players and you have a 1 time chance of catching the play. The call on the ice is wrong, but that's a hard call to make.

The only possible explanation is if they think Eakins knocked him silly with a crosscheck to the head and yhey can't have been watching the play at all if they reached that decision, so they guess a 5 min major.

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby

Well maybe the entire league is going to take note of the problems with how NHL games are being called. This isn't new, even in these playoffs referees have had major impacts on several games in error, but this one is so blatant at such a key time of a big game that something might be done.

I understand protecting from headshots but the league has always been guilty of calling the result rather than the act. Rome's hit was a bit late and got that suspension. Lupul tries a flying elbow on Henrik Sedin and misses and there is no review later or anything.

Intoewsables

Jul 30, 2009
Toronto
I don't see many people giving credit to San Jose for rallying back and scoring four after their captain went down. That's some legit fairy tale stuff right there. It's a shame that will be overshadowed by the circumstances that allowed it to happen in the first place.

There was no penalty called until the fans started booing and throwing trash onto the ice. Marchessault mentioned in his post-game interview that the referee came up to the bench and told them that he had to make a call because it "looked bad". He caved under pressure and made a horrendous call that totally changed the game and series. Probably shouldn't be officiating a playoff game if the fans can influence him that much, but knowing the NHL, he'll be right back out there for Game 1 in San Jose. :laugh:

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
If that play happens to Gustav Nyquist instead of Pavelski I guarantee the Sharks don’t score 4 on the PP to come back and win that game.

I mentioned the importance of camaraderie and deep bonds in the last thread and that game 7 in San Jose was the epitome of it.

Everyone on that team loved Pavelski to death because of their history. Watching him go down like that sparked a fire in that team that didn’t exist throughout the entire series. It was basically hockey’s version of when Frieza killed Krillin which caused Goku to turn into a Super Saiyan.

This is why team psychology, which is a part of what we call intangible, matters when building a team.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
West Coast

Well maybe the entire league is going to take note of the problems with how NHL games are being called. This isn't new, even in these playoffs referees have had major impacts on several games in error, but this one is so blatant at such a key time of a big game that something might be done.

I understand protecting from headshots but the league has always been guilty of calling the result rather than the act. Rome's hit was a bit late and got that suspension. Lupul tries a flying elbow on Henrik Sedin and misses and there is no review later or anything.

He's 100% right, refs do need help out there. They should be able to a manual review of potential 5 minute major calls.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
West Coast
It's beyond stupid that goals can be called back a minute after someone's skate crosses the blue line a tenth of a second early, but something like this is non-reversible. That's the NHL for you though.

Mistakes like these is how changes are made.

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
Regardless if it's because he is salty about this specific occurrence and it leading to them losing the series, he is absolutely spot on. Officiating needs an overhaul in a big way.

Grape

Jul 22, 2016
I gotta say, I was cheering for the Sharks the entire series, and especially after somehow the high stick goal was allowed.

This just changes it all. Nothing against the Sharks but I feel like it's massively tainted now and I don't think I can cheer for them anymore.

This is one of the worst and most fate altering calls ever made in the playoffs.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
I gotta say, I was cheering for the Sharks the entire series, and especially after somehow the high stick goal was allowed.

This just changes it all. Nothing against the Sharks but I feel like it's massively tainted now and I don't think I can cheer for them anymore.

This is one of the worst and most fate altering calls ever made in the playoffs.

Again, yes, it was a bad call.

But they scored four goals on a PP. That's insane. People aren't grasping how insane that is.

People are acting like them scoring four goals on that major is just a given. It's absurd. That call was "fate altering" only because they had the best PP performance since the Gretzky Oilers.

Scorvat

Mar 17, 2015
He's 100% right, refs do need help out there. They should be able to a manual review of potential 5 minute major calls.

That's a pretty good idea. NBA does this for flagrants and considering how op a major penalty eally is, the NHL should definitely be able to review it on their ipad. Using the ipad for this makes more sense then using it to review offsides and goalie interference.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
People can say they got jobbed on the 5 minute power play but they couldn't kill a penalty to save their life when it matter.

That and they had a 3-1 lead in the series. Should never have got to Game 7 in the first place.
This x 10...Vegas dominated the Sharks early in the series, and should have had them out in 5 games..I don't know if it was complacency or what, because the Sharks looked like clear underdogs (I was cheering for them)...With a lot of the top dogs out of the way in these playoffs, Vegas probably blew a really good chance of winning the SC

Reactions: ErrantShepherd

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Apparently 4 goals on a PP has happened twice in NHL history.

Right, I suspected so. I don't believe I have ever even seen 3 before.

PEople are just dismissing this out of hand as if this was inevitable. Like it happens all the time on major penalties. I don't care if it was a bad call or not; four goals on the same PP is bat shit insanity.

Reactions: RainbowDeathBunny

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
A big factor is that Jones got his head out of his ass and played like the goalie he can be in the last three games, not the goalie he was this entire regular season.

Last edited:

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
that was a missed call not a malicious call. that's part of hockey, like a bad bounce or hitting the linesman with a clearance.

what san jose did with the opportunity was epic. kudos to vegas for the rally that followed. too bad it ended up in a next goal wins situation.

not sure what happened to patches in that game. he was brutal in the third and into ot. serious case of the yips.

I'm late to catching up on the highlights but I agree here. Not the right call as the actual injury was a double deflection off it, but Eakins put himself in that position with an unecessary lunging cross check off the faceoff.

Though I'm a little biased against that sort of play as in my own adult beer league experience though while usually clean there's an immense difference between simply getting shoved around and getting the full brunt of the stick. What Eakins did there is a full force hit using the shaft of the stick as the point of contact. There's a reason why Pavelski gets knocked back so awkwardly here.

All that aside, finally we got a really awesome elimination game. While a few teams pulled off wins to stave off elimination games, 5/7 elimination games up to this point ended with the losing team going out with a whimper, while DAL/NAS went to OT with a 1-1 tie.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
Again, Sharks were very fortunate, so many of those pucks don't reach the net, and every single one was through a massive screen on Fleury.

Obviously they made plays to get those goals, I'm not trying to discount that too much, but so many times you see a whole 5 minute PP killed off with the usual plethora of blocked shots and such.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
Honestly the Sharks should be able to get to at least the finals this year.

I really f***ing wish Erik Karlsson was healthy though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->