Around the league: Playoffs II | Did I mention Calgary sucks? And also Winnipeg?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
Do you guys not know Flames fans in real life? There are tons of them in BC that came from Alberta and brought their entitled attitude with them. f*** them.

Reactions: Red

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
When I was a teenager I hated Calgary, Edmonton and Toronto a great deal. I don’t know if I’m getting soft in old age or if we just haven’t really had reason as a fan base to hate those teams lately, but it is what it is now.

But yeah, the Canuck/Flame rivalry had its peak between 89 and 94. Two seven game first round series’ where the winner went on to the SCF, a lot of incredible talent between the two teams, and a lot of big, physical players who could play a nasty game, too.

i don't hate the flames as much as the oilers. they were never quite as totally devastating,.

but otto still kicked it in.

Reactions: Regular David Bruce

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Do you guys not know Flames fans in real life? There are tons of them in BC that came from Alberta and brought their entitled attitude with them. **** them.

Interestingly, the Flames fans I know always seem mouthiest when their team is the worst. When the Flames win, they’re pretty humble and content. When the Flames aren’t good, though, they seem to want to pick fights and argue with everybody.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
The flames fans I know I didn't know were flames fans until they beat us in 04 then suddenly they were the best team ever. I mean it seemed they were even cheering for the Nucks until Game 7 was over. Now they are hard core flames fans. I hated that, but still find Oiler Fans worst. They try to have this superiority complex.

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
i don't hate the flames as much as the oilers. they were never quite as totally devastating,.

but otto still kicked it in.

Wish I could give that a double like.

I also lost a bit of hate for the Flames when Iginla brought them all back on the ice to salute Linden at the end of his last game. That was more class than I've ever seen from an Oiler or an Oiler fan.

Krnuckfan

Oct 11, 2006
I have no idea how the avalanche are looking so good in the playoffs yet looked like complete garbage against the canucks in a couple of the games.

Hollywood Burrows

Jan 23, 2009
EAST VANCOUVER
I think it's been a pretty close series apart from Game 3. Two OT games. The Flames rallied pretty well in the last game but still lost. I don't think they're done yet, although f*** them.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Do you guys not know Flames fans in real life? There are tons of them in BC that came from Alberta and brought their entitled attitude with them. **** them.

I lived in Calgary for about 4 years, I knew a couple of hot headed Flames fans.
They hated the Canucks, refuse to visit Vancovuer and said Kelowna/Victoria was the place to be...

Also complain that Iginla has no centre, Phaneuf was a future Norris Trophy winner and the depth of the team was the best in the league.

Flames fans who transplanted to BC were on a high when 2004 happened

Last edited:

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Wish I could give that a double like.

I also lost a bit of hate for the Flames when Iginla brought them all back on the ice to salute Linden at the end of his last game. That was more class than I've ever seen from an Oiler or an Oiler fan.
As I said, you might hate the Flames but at least (or at least I) am willing to give them some respect. Oilers in their heyday, rubbed it in your face on how good they were. Sather was famous for rattling the Cup rings on the bench as the Canucks came out of the dressing room onto the ice. That’s just one example of their arrogance. Then there’s their tanking. At least the Flames really didn’t do that.

Deeds26

Nov 11, 2006
I have a friend who drove around town with Flames gear covering his truck when they clinched the Conference, so now I want them to lose in the first round. So I am happy with thos Avs 3-1 lead

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
I have a friend who drove around town with Flames gear covering his truck when they clinched the Conference, so now I want them to lose in the first round. So I am happy with thos Avs 3-1 lead

My town has a pretty diverse fan base. In 2011, when the Canucks lost in Game 4 in Boston, a couple of fans - one Oiler, one Flames, I think - drove down my street honking their horns like the Bruins had won the Cup. I knew them from our local beer league and they knew I was a big Canucks fan. That’s not something I ever did/had done, so my jimmies were rustled and I plotted my contingencies.

Canucks won Game 5, but the Bruins won Game 6. This time when those two chuckleheads came down my street, I was waiting on the far side of my car with my hose. Caught the first guy through his driver’s side window right in the face. Second had his windows up but laughed pretty hard at the situation.

They did not come down my street after Game 7.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Thats amazing, I wouldn't have done that up there without knowing who it was first but it makes for a hilarious story for both sides!

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
Leaving aside regional differences, I have a hard time believing that any fan base is qualitatively different from any other. However, I have found the people who live in Edmonton and Calgary often seem defensive about their cities. There's a Small City Syndrome sublimated inferiority complex that is expressed as egotism, and it's amplified by local media. Every newspaper and FM station in either city will matter-of-factly tell you you're in the best city on earth and almost dare anyone to disagree.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Leaving aside regional differences, I have a hard time believing that any fan base is qualitatively different from any other. However, I have found the people who live in Edmonton and Calgary often seem defensive about their cities. There's a Small City Syndrome sublimated inferiority complex that is expressed as egotism, and it's amplified by local media. Every newspaper and FM station in either city will matter-of-factly tell you you're in the best city on earth and almost dare anyone to disagree.

Edmonton is the straight out of the hood type city which has thrived.
Calgary is the new shiny toy everyone fell in love with.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
Edmonton is the straight out of the hood type city which has thrived.
Calgary is the new shiny toy everyone fell in love with.
If I can cast off any objectivity for a second, Edmonton is sort of shitty, but sort of okay because it has some dirt under its fingernails. Calgary is a shithole. Charmless strip malls, cheap signage in weird low-effort fonts, piles of dirty snow, "urban rednecks," and one of the worst urban sprawl problems on earth. It's like a giant, 3-dimensional ode to mediocrity and low expectations.

Reactions: Red

Hyzer

Jimbo is fired - the good guys won
Aug 10, 2012
Vancouver
Tanev is just cash money in the playoffs. Guy just hits everything, lots of energy and actually skilled to boot. I want him bad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad