Around the league: Playoffs II | Did I mention Calgary sucks? And also Winnipeg?

Status
Not open for further replies.

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006
You are missing lindholm but still

Thats why imo we are in so much better shape.

EP40
Horvat
Gaudette (Or if we draft a center)

it's one place that we just have a massive advantage over Calgary.

I don't think Lindholm has played as a center at all in Calgary. He has been a winger on Monahan's line most of the year.

And yeah, the Canucks are in pretty good shape down the middle, particularly for a team in their position. But if that was all it took then Edmonton would be cup favorites.

Reactions: mossey3535

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
I don't think Lindholm has played as a center at all in Calgary. He has been a winger on Monahan's line most of the year.

And yeah, the Canucks are in pretty good shape down the middle, particularly for a team in their position. But if that was all it took then Edmonton would be cup favorites.

I do think it's hard to get our 1-2 center punch. But IMO it is easier to build off two centers and add complementary pieces than build off a center and two wingers which is basically what Calgary is trying to do.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
What do you guys think about Cassie Campbell?

I honestly feel she has a ton of knowledge about the sport, does a good job as a sportscaster.
But as a broadcaster, I think it's just hard to listen to her.
While I would like to be completely unbiased about the fact it's probably due to her voice, but it's mostly the fact I don't get that excitement feeling when I watch a game she is color commentating.
I think overall she has done a great job for what she is given, but I just don't feel it.

A good example is this Swedish lady doing PBP, her voice is amazing, something about it is so damn exciting, Maybe it's just me.

Reactions: Nomobo

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
Just wanted to point out that Tkachuk was in the box for that 4-1 goal and he’s been invisible all night. He’s still just a kid and not ready to lead a team in the playoffs and in no way is he some sort of elite player. In fact he has some real fundamental flaws in his game that prevent him from being effective in a playoff setting. I feel like he gets overrated here just because people are mad about picking Juolevi but that should be irrelevant to an honest evaluation of Tkachuk as a player.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
Again, Smith has been good but he has made some fatal errors. It is just poor coaching that Rittich hasn't been in this series if only just to change the momentum.

From Smith's terrible play in the regular season, he had to be on a short leash. That's just a fact. And he was absolutely lit up in Game 3. Rittich should have been in for relief in that game, and he should have been in after three goals in this game.

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006
It's also worth noting that the Flames' #1 defenseman Giordano is almost 36 years old and is unlikely to maintain his level of play for too much longer. For a team that finished 1st in the conference, they certainly have a lot of question marks going forward.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Just wanted to point out that Tkachuk was in the box for that 4-1 goal and he’s been invisible all night. He’s still just a kid and not ready to lead a team in the playoffs and in no way is he some sort of elite player. In fact he has some real fundamental flaws in his game that prevent him from being effective in a playoff setting. I feel like he gets overrated here just because people are mad about picking Juolevi but that should be irrelevant to an honest evaluation of Tkachuk as a player.
uhh the kid had like 37 goals and 75+ points as a 21 year old, while being one of the most physical players in the league.

he is not overrated, it was a dreadful pick.

It's his first playoff experience no?, Some need to learn.

Reactions: vanuck

Ace of Hades

#Demko4Vezina
Apr 27, 2010
Oregon
They've been looking for a superstar centre for close to two decades now, ever since Iginla was there. They had Conroy, Savard, Langkow, Jokinen...all came and went with some moderate success but not the game breaking centre most teams have.

Flames won with two game breaking centres in Gilmour and Nieuwendyk, they've never had one since then..

....and Nieuwendyk is the Flames best centerman in their history, they haven't replaced him since.

peak Olli Jokinen FLA days I consider to be a legitimate first line center for Iginla to play with, but unfortunately for them they got the over the hill Jokinen instead.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
peak Olli Jokinen FLA days I consider to be a legitimate first line center for Iginla to play with, but unfortunately for them they got the over the hill Jokinen instead.

If the Flames got Jokinen in 2005-2007, then that would've elevated them.
Instead they were stuck with Daymond Langkow and Matthew Lombardi...woof.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
uhh the kid had like 37 goals and 75+ points as a 21 year old, while being one of the most physical players in the league.

Again, I think it's a product of this matchup. If this had been more grinding, and less speed, I think Tkachuk would have been more noticeable.

Also before this game he has 3 points in 4 games, for a rookie in their first playoffs I think that's pretty good.

Brock Boeser Laser Show

Sep 27, 2017
It's also worth noting that the Flames' #1 defenseman Giordano is almost 36 years old and is unlikely to maintain his level of play for too much longer. For a team that finished 1st in the conference, they certainly have a lot of question marks going forward.
The entire division is wide open the next 5 years. Only team I feel confident about being a contender during that period is Vegas.

NoShowWilly

Apr 4, 2010
North Delta
Flames better hope the Canucks find a way into the playoffs soon because they are never getting out of the first round again without us. over 30 years.

#ottokickeditin #soldoutforacup #canucksgatekeepers #hockeywithaplot

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
i started out a big cassie fan, but i think the more she talks in games the more cassie sounds like a female louie debrusk. more albertan every year with all the dipthings and contractions and there’s a even a hint of fargo in there too.

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017

It’s his second playoff and yes he is still young. But no amount of experience will fix his skating. Or his dumbass penalties which are a feature of his game, not a bug.

Posters calling him an elite first line winger definitely were overrating him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad