GDT: Around the League: Playoff Edition Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Leafs will fix it in the summer. Since they got JT, why stop there? They will go after Erik karlsson.

I don't doubt they'll try fix their team. Problem I see is that defense was weak with Gardiner. So it's not like adding one guy is going to magically make it better. Not unless they do get a #1 which with their cap issues is going to be tough.

Tough decisions to be made this summer in TO

OilerTitanFan

Feb 26, 2019
I don't doubt they'll try fix their team. Problem I see is that defense was weak with Gardiner. So it's not like adding one guy is going to magically make it better. Not unless they do get a #1 which with their cap issues is going to be tough.

Tough decisions to be made this summer in TO
The last time the bruins beat the leafs in the playoffs, Gardiner was the goat and he lost the battle vs Debrusk. They still haven't learned from that. It is like throwing Matt Benning out there with 30 seconds left in a tie game. How about we help the leafs? Our first for Nylander, Reilly and Gardiner. Leafs free up space to sign Karlsson.

McBeastMode

Dec 29, 2012
Beside my neighbor..
When did the ref's actually call the penalty, never saw an arm go up..

YHyZa6w.gif

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003

YHyZa6w.gif

Back in March there was one on Zibanejad where he bumped a guy awkwardly and the guy got hurt. The refs saw nothing, but allowed the linesman to offer an opinion that it was a dangerous hit from behind. Zibanejad got 5 and a game off the linesmans word. Major and misconduct were rescinded days later after the league looked and saw there was not really any malicious intent to injure, just an unlucky play, kinda like this.

Last edited:
Reactions: Porkleaker and LaGu

GhostfaceWu

Shi Shaw
Feb 11, 2015

YHyZa6w.gif
They didn't and worse off NBC went immediately to break right as the crowd started hurling garbage onto the ice (which they somehow went unpunished) and there was basically no explanation even after the break from the refs.

Reactions: TB12

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
They didn't and worse off NBC went immediately to break right as the crowd started hurling garbage onto the ice (which they somehow went unpunished) and there was basically no explanation even after the break from the refs.
Did they explain the high stick goal?

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
They had a 3-1 series lead, 3-0 lead and a 4-4 tie. They should of played better
Which is fair. I think the bigger issue as mentioned somewhere in the last dozen pages is what happens if you have a tight series and have a call like this decide your Stanley Cup winner?

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Common sense differs from one person to the next.

A hard fast rule is necessary. Leaving this type of decision up to the viewpoint of one individual or group of individuals is not viable.

And that is only answering this one case. Not all crap calls/non-calls leave a 10 minute window for on and off ice officials to have a chin wag. A non-call can be as if not more damaging than this one. Like a pick leading directly to a winning goal.

Is that really any different that what happens right now? I mean yeah, that "eye-in-the-sky" official is going to have a lot riding on his own judgement. He better be damn sure it is indeed one of those exceptional situations where he simply has to intervene to prevent a catastrophic error. It's not completely fool-proof. But this seems preferable to having the four guys on the ice literally guessing and praying they were correct on a major event in a game 7.

You're not wrong that a missed pick leading to a winning goal would be equally terrible in terms of the final result, but again this comes down to common sense expectations. Minor infractions go unseen or ignored numerous times throughout a game; if it happens to lead to a goal in one of those instances, it's bad luck, but something that is still expected to occur from time to time. There's no reasonable way to mitigate it. Ensuring that a 5-minute major penalty is not erroneously assessed during a stoppage in play is comparatively very easy to do.

Jason Gregor brought up an incident earlier today that I'd forgotten about, which was Domi taking out Niedermayer with a vicious elbow to the head in 2001. It happened way behind the play, so nobody knew what was going on. (Other than Scott Stevens who was in the penalty box at the time, had a clear view of it, and proceeded to lose his shit as I recall). No penalty was being called at first, and you couldn't blame the refs as they were at the other end of the rink. But evidently some eye-in-the-sky did call down to the ice to let the officials know what happened. Domi was then kicked out of the game and suspended. So there actually is precedent for letter of the law procedures being superseded by common sense in a playoff game.

Kepler 186f

Red Shifted
Dec 17, 2007
Is that really any different that what happens right now? I mean yeah, that "eye-in-the-sky" official is going to have a lot riding on his own judgement. He better be damn sure it is indeed one of those exceptional situations where he simply has to intervene to prevent a catastrophic error. It's not completely fool-proof. But this seems preferable to having the four guys on the ice literally guessing and praying they were correct on a major event in a game 7.

You're not wrong that a missed pick leading to a winning goal would be equally terrible in terms of the final result, but again this comes down to common sense expectations. Minor infractions go unseen or ignored numerous times throughout a game; if it happens to lead to a goal in one of those instances, it's bad luck, but something that is still expected to occur from time to time. There's no reasonable way to mitigate it. Ensuring that a 5-minute major penalty is not erroneously assessed during a stoppage in play is comparatively very easy to do.

Jason Gregor brought up an incident earlier today that I'd forgotten about, which was Domi taking out Niedermayer with a vicious elbow to the head in 2001. It happened way behind the play, so nobody knew what was going on. (Other than Scott Stevens who was in the penalty box at the time, had a clear view of it, and proceeded to lose his **** as I recall). No penalty was being called at first, and you couldn't blame the refs as they were at the other end of the rink. But evidently some eye-in-the-sky did call down to the ice to let the officials know what happened. Domi was then kicked out of the game and suspended. So there actually is precedent for letter of the law procedures being superseded by common sense in a playoff game.

So let's go back to last night's incident.

What do you think the proper call by an off ice official should have been (without the knowledge that the Vegas PK was going to collapse like a wet noodle)?

No penalty at all (playoff hockey and all)?

2 to Eakins for the crosscheck?

2 to Eakins and 2 to Statstny (interference)?

2 to Eakins and a double minor to Stastny?

Or 2 to Eakins and 5 to Stastny?

Or just 2, a double or 5 to Stastny?

Anyone arguing any of those (aside from no penalty at all) would have a valid argument.

And any off ice official using common sense could come to any of the above conclusions.

fireantz

Mar 15, 2007
Based on the way rules have been applied throughout the playoffs the correct(consistent) call would be no penalty at all.

Reactions: Hynh
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad