GDT: Around the League: Playoff Edition Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I don't think the refs are out to get anyone. That's giving them too much credit.

I do think they miss a ton of calls against McDavid. That is a concern. Unless watching him get interfered with constantly is entertaining to anyone.

This is absolutely a concern, but happens to all fast, skilled players. refs should absolutely 100% start calling interference more. For a bit there will be more penalties, but after players will stop interfering

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I absolutely agree on the missed calls on McDavid, but disagree that you can correlate what happened last night to the constant interference McDavid has to put up with. What we need is a Gallant to either stand at the mike and take the fine or someone in management to go public with their disgust and go to league offices in NYC a la Calgary with about 4 hours of video showing it and putting up a major fuss down there.
It's not the same situation but it speaks to the level of competence the NHL has.

You technically can't crosscheck a player in the chest right off the draw, so that's a legitimate penalty.

The fact that it caused injury elevated it to a major.

They did call the wrong player though.
I don't disagree it was a penalty. A 2 minute power play would've sufficed. Pavelski wasn't hurt until he hit the ice. He wasn't hurt on anything that Eakin did to him.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
This is absolutely a concern, but happens to all fast, skilled players. refs should absolutely 100% start calling interference more. For a bit there will be more penalties, but after players will stop interfering
Well we had this back in 2006 until players started to lean on the rules... As long as you straddle the line like the Kings you won't be called.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003

Engelland getting exposed was a big part of ending of their last playoffs too. Hope they sign him again :) That is one of Gallants big blind spots. All coaches fall in love with crappy vets at some point it seems.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
It's not the same situation but it speaks to the level of competence the NHL has.

I don't disagree it was a penalty. A 2 minute power play would've sufficed. Pavelski wasn't hurt until he hit the ice. He wasn't hurt on anything that Eakin did to him.

If you hit somebody as interference and he gets injured because he hits the bannister near the bench and not because of your arms, that's still a major.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
If you hit somebody as interference and he gets injured because he hits the bannister near the bench and not because of your arms, that's still a major.
He was hurt because he lost his balance, was tripped up by Statsny and smacked his head against the ice. It was unfortunate for sure, but not a major. Just a freak accident.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
That was an interesting way to learn that Pavelski was holding back the Sharks PP in the series.

Feel bad for Vegas that what should have been a 2 minute penalty cost them a three goal lead to close out the series. I thought they played well in both Games 6 and 7, but a mistake by Fleury and the ref, respectively, cost them two key games.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton

What it speaks to is not incompetence but the direction the refs have from above. The refs are mandated to be tough on all head shots. They are not mandated to be tough on interference. Remember a couple years ago they were calling every little tap and face off violation. That was because of league mandate in the preseason. They backed off the face off violation penalties but did not on the tapping.

Then you dont understand how it works. Injury resulting from the penalty doesn't matter if its the ice, boards, the net, or another player, its still an injury as a result of the illegal check or action of the player. That is the rule.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton

Engelland getting exposed was a big part of ending of their last playoffs too. Hope they sign him again :) That is one of Gallants big blind spots. All coaches fall in love with crappy vets at some point it seems.

And no time out to settle his team during the goal explosion:sarcasm:

Reactions: oobga

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
But it was Pavelski hitting the ice that caused the injury, not him getting hit in the first place.

I'm not calling for reviews on every single play. I'm calling for accountability on ****ty reffing.

If you don't want Gallant then I don't know what's wrong with you. He'd be the best coach this team has had in 30 years.

Serious question...what would you like your definition of "accountability" to meet?

-The refs admit publicly they screwed up? That would cause a huge uproar.

-The league reviews their calls, fines them and/or suspends them for the remainder of the playoffs?

I do agree where players have been significantly injured, like Pavelski, the refs should be able to review the footage leading up to the incident. I also agree with you that shouldn't have been 5 and a game. If you ask me, Stastny is more culpable than Eakin as it appears he gave Pavelski a shove as he was falling and that caused Pavelski to twist and fall the way he did. That's why the Sharks players were so incensed with Stastny and not Eakin.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Just looking for more blown majors. Poor Reaves has had his team on the bad end of at least 2 now

5 and a game (rescinded later) for a check to the chest. But, Ehrhoff looked maybe hurt, so out of the game you go.

I seem to recall Gryba being on the bad end of one of these too as an Oiler. Routine hit where a guy was hurt and he got the boot.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
He was hurt because he lost his balance, was tripped up by Statsny and smacked his head against the ice. It was unfortunate for sure, but not a major. Just a freak accident.

And he lost his balance directly because of the cross check to his mid section while he was off balance. Stastny runs into him and bang, head walloped. He doesn't go down at all if Eakins doesn't cross check him when he is turning from the play.

If Pavelski isn't injured there probably is not even a penalty. Him laying unconscious with blood pouring out his ear creates a different perspective. Not saying its right but I disagree its incompetence.

Anyway its tough way for Vegas to go out I agree, and I wish they'd just stop whining and own the fact they f***ed up big time in this series.

Now I cheer for the Avalanche to take out the Sharks, which they will do in 5 games.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
What it speaks to is not incompetence but the direction the refs have from above. The refs are mandated to be tough on all head shots. They are not mandated to be tough on interference. Remember a couple years ago they were calling every little tap and face off violation. That was because of league mandate in the preseason. They backed off the face off violation penalties but did not on the tapping.

I understand that they're supposed to be tough on head shots. ...But Eakin nor Statsny hit him in the head. It was a freak accident. At worst it was a two minute penalty for cross checking.

Then you dont understand how it works. Injury resulting from the penalty doesn't matter if its the ice, boards, the net, or another player, its still an injury as a result of the illegal check or action of the player. That is the rule.
Then why wasn't Manning given a five minute major when he injured McDavid? Or Giordano in their last game? Both resulted in McDavid getting injured.

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
To me Gallant not calling a timeout is a bigger error than the refs calling that penalty. The major and game misconduct wasn't the appropriate call. Doesn't mean Vegas automatically concedes four goals. If you're the coach would you not have called a timeout after the Sharks scored the first goal? Or at least the second? Your team is rattled, do something about it.

Allowing two goals on a major is bad. Allowing four is unheard of, especially in the playoffs. Your PK has to be bad, which it was for Vegas, but there also has to be some sort of additional advantage. In this case you had the emotional surge that the Sharks got for wanting to avenge their captain, then once the first goal went in 6 seconds into the powerplay the momentum was hugely in San Jose's favour. There was blood in the water. The shift in energy was palpable to anybody who was remotely paying attention. Gallant made a bad decision not trying to stem that momentum with a timeout to address his team, calm them down, and get them to refocus.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Serious question...what would you like your definition of "accountability" to meet?

-The refs admit publicly they screwed up? That would cause a huge uproar.

-The league reviews their calls, fines them and/or suspends them for the remainder of the playoffs?

I do agree where players have been significantly injured, like Pavelski, the refs should be able to review the footage leading up to the incident. I also agree with you that shouldn't have been 5 and a game. If you ask me, Stastny is more culpable than Eakin as it appears he gave Pavelski a shove as he was falling and that caused Pavelski to twist and fall the way he did. That's why the Sharks players were so incensed with Stastny and not Eakin.
A public admission would be a good start. A huge uproar has occurred already. Reffing in this league is bloody atrocious and they're never held to the standard they should be. We all just accept it.

I'd like the league to review games with officials after the game is over and show them where they missed calls. I mean, don't coaches do the same thing with players? I don't expect reffing to be perfect. But both game 7s last night were littered with terrible officiating.

Reactions: McFuhryous

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I understand that they're supposed to be tough on head shots. ...But Eakin nor Statsny hit him in the head. It was a freak accident. At worst it was a two minute penalty for cross checking.

Then why wasn't Manning given a five minute major when he injured McDavid? Or Giordano in their last game? Both resulted in McDavid getting injured.

Mannings wasn't deemed an illegal check. Giordano wasn't a head injury. Its the whole head thing. Head is injured on the play, the hammer falls hard. Its a tough position and happens so fast. Look at the 2 game suspension given out when Vancouvers Petterson was hit and thrown down. Was the ice that caused the injury. That hit happens 10 times in a game sometimes. Petterson is 45 pound weakling who got manhandled. But was the ice that caused the injury therefore a suspension was warranted due to the "illegal" hit. There is no cookie cutter way to slice these things.

Could have been a 2 minute penalty sure. Vegas believes they would have been down 3-1 but judging from how they choked after the 1 goal, there is no guarantee that the Sharks dont score 2 more in the 10 minutes they had.

Last edited:

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
A public admission would be a good start. A huge uproar has occurred already. Reffing in this league is bloody atrocious and they're never held to the standard they should be. We all just accept it.

You'll never get a public admission and nor should we. Refs cant be held accountable in the public light, as fans are biased towards their team. The reffing is held to the standard the GMs want. They set the mandate. Be pissed the GMs dont want it called tighter.

I'd like the league to review games with officials after the game is over and show them where they missed calls. I mean, don't coaches do the same thing with players? I don't expect reffing to be perfect.

The league does review with officials after each game. You just dont see it. That doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

But both game 7s last night were littered with terrible officiating.

Man all Game 7s are reffed terribly. They usually put the whistles away and there is a lot more they dont call.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
You'll never get a public admission and nor should we. Refs cant be held accountable in the public light, as fans are biased towards their team. The reffing is held to the standard the GMs want. They set the mandate. Be pissed the GMs dont want it called tighter.

Ahh the GMs... An OBC if there ever was one.

The league does review with officials after each game. You just dont see it. That doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

I would certainly hope they do.

Man all Game 7s are reffed terribly. They usually put the whistles away and there is a lot more they dont call.
Though the two games were reffed pretty much the opposite of each other. In TOR/BOS there was next to nothing (and no penalties on the Leafs), and in VGK/SJ they called everything. It's wildly inconsistent.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003

Just to fun, breaking down Engelland's expert PKing:

First one, I think Engelland is partially screening Fleury and misses blocking the shot. He was in a perfect position for Fleury to not be able to see how the pass across was received by the shooter.

2nd one he is covering no one, basically just a pylon on the whole sequence, and Hertl is in front of him in the slot wide open to make a nice tip.

3rd one he is part of another screen on fleury and misses the shot block

4th one, got the puck behind his net and shanks his clear attempt, the puck just lightly goes 4 feet ahead of him and is picked back up by SJ. He then allows a SJ player a free lane to screen Fleury for the shot. Basically was just a pylon again after the pathetic clear attempt along the boards.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007

I'd like the league to review games with officials after the game is over and show them where they missed calls. I mean, don't coaches do the same thing with players? I don't expect reffing to be perfect. But both game 7s last night were littered with terrible officiating.

I'm just not sure a public admission by the refs is the way to go. The league has to protect its officials so I don't think they'd ever allow that. Unfortunately, they will just keep covering their asses in the eye of the public. As @5 Mins 4 Ftg said, I'm also pretty sure the league reviews their officials. That's why some make the cut and officiate in the later rounds and others are sent home for the summer after each round.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
The NHL doesn't need yet another review procedure, they need a common sense procedure when it comes to egregious officiating errors at key points in the game. College football has it. Every once in a blue moon a non-reviewable play does in fact get reviewed after a spotter or whoever calls down to the ref and basically says "you guys completely blew that call, go have a look and overturn it". That's all that needed to happen on that offside that was 2 feet offside and they could have avoided hundreds of ridiculous reviews that annoy everyone. And it's all that needed to happen here. Instead, San Jose has been advanced to round two on a ridiculous technicality, probably the worst blown call of the last decade. This is what happens when lawyers run sports leagues. "it's not technically in the rules to let the ref glance at the replay at the penalty box, so instead we'll make a mockery of the entire series and let the wrong team advance". Another black eye for common sense, and further loss of credibility for the NHL, who had very little to begin with.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
The NHL doesn't need yet another review procedure, they need a common sense procedure when it comes to egregious officiating errors at key points in the game. College football has it. Every once in a blue moon a non-reviewable play does in fact get reviewed after a spotter or whoever calls down to the ref and basically says "you guys completely blew that call, go have a look and overturn it". That's all that needed to happen on that offside that was 2 feet offside and they could have avoided hundreds of ridiculous reviews that annoy everyone. And it's all that needed to happen here. Instead, San Jose has been advanced to round two on a ridiculous technicality, probably the worst blown call of the last decade. This is what happens when lawyers run sports leagues. "it's not technically in the rules to let the ref glance at the replay at the penalty box, so instead we'll make a mockery of the entire series and let the wrong team advance". Another black eye for common sense, and further loss of credibility for the NHL, who had very little to begin with.

3rd ref in the sky that can quickly review stuff and have radio contact with the refs on ice? That would be pretty helpful for these kinds of things. Refs and linemen huddle up and can get an accurate comment using replay from above that they can make a decision with. If it is really questionable, can call for guys on ice to look too.

Something like this, if they just ask, did the cross-check get him in the face? That would have been an easy no for someone with quick access to a reply to see.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003

To be fair, that ice time is exactly the kind of ice time that is there for Engelland to play.

Theodore isn’t at the level yet where he can play 30 minutes a game (assuming no OT) in all situations.

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
You technically can't crosscheck a player in the chest right off the draw, so that's a legitimate penalty.

The fact that it caused injury elevated it to a major.

They did call the wrong player though.

If this is the rationale of the NHL they deserve what they get in terms of being considered a respective joke league amongst the major NA sports. A call ought to be based on what the actual infraction was, not what injury result culminated from the players own awkward fall. Pavelski slammed himself into the ice essentially. This is not a situation where he was concussed standing up, or knocked out and going down like a sack of potatoes (in that instance if there is a headshot that causes a player to lose motor control then yes the perpetrator should be responsible) But not for a hit like this wherein the injury is actually due to Pavelski's own fall, while being completely conscious.

My lord. One of the first things you ever hear when you lace up skates is if you fall don't fall straight backwards onto your head. Don't do that. Don't ever do that.

Alternately kids are taught;

1)Protect your head. If falling backwards just cradle your head with your arms/ hands, you'll be fine. Protect the head.

2) Simply bend over. While falling just bend your back, motion forward, go into a fetal, this makes it impossible to hit your head straight back.

3)Contort body on way down so you fall on side, but not directly backwards.

4)Fall on arms and break fall instead of falling back on head.

Any of the above or combination thereof completely mitigates injury in this circumstance.

What occurs to Pavelski there is simply due to his own bad fall. Not falling properly. How is that Eakins fault that Pavelski doesn't have the on ice sense that a preschooler would be taught regarding on ice safety?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->