Around the league - Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Genuinely curious - why?

I am indifferent but get the hate......As Tdoe42 mentioned CBC can be brutal......One example would be in tonight's game.

The CBC announcers were gushing about Rielly all night saying he can't be sent down and Cherry was even saying he is the leafs best defender. Don't get me wrong I really like Rielly and think he is going to be special and I think its correct to keep him up ....but.....He and Franson were on the ice for 4 goals against tonight and 2 of the goals were on Rielly to some degree. He had a tough night defending although Franson was horrific but the CBC announcers Just kept gushing away as Rome was burning never acknowledging that tonight was one of those games a young guy like Morgan will learn some lessons from.

Last edited:

meedle

May 17, 2011
Winnipeg
What the hell happened to the Avs? Holy smokes, what a start.

They look good. Its real bad news for us Jets fans as we will have to deal with that lineup for the next 10 years. Between them, Chicago and St.Louis, that could be a big problem.

Colorado is #1 in GA and #5 for GF. See what a new coach can do for a team :nod:

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
They look good. Its real bad news for us Jets fans as we will have to deal with that lineup for the next 10 years. Between them, Chicago and St.Louis, that could be a big problem.

Colorado is #1 in GA and #5 for GF. See what a new coach can do for a team :nod:

Love some of Colorado's young talent and 100% agree that a Coaching change can make a big difference and they do look very good in a small sample size so far. I will need to see the team go through some highs and lows before I am convinced they are for real and not just playing on emotions right now. every team goes through hot streaks and cold streaks in a year so we'll see.

King Woodballs

Captain Awesome
Sep 25, 2007
Your Mind

See what sucking **** for the better part of a decade and getting top 5 picks can do for a team

false bobo

Dec 6, 2011
I am indifferent but get the hate......As Tdoe42 mentioned CBC can be brutal......One example would be in tonight's game.

The CBC announcers were gushing about Rielly all night saying he can't be sent down and Cherry was even saying he is the leafs best defender. Don't get me wrong I really like Rielly and think he is going to be special and I think its correct to keep him up ....but.....He and Franson were on the ice for 4 goals against tonight and 2 of the goals were on Rielly to some degree. He had a tough night defending although Franson was horrific but the CBC announcers Just kept gushing away as Rome was burning never acknowledging that tonight was one of those games a young guy like Morgan will learn some lessons from.

Yeah, Either Cherry was wording himself wrong or that was a pretty moronic comment.

Sounds to me like you guys hate the Toronto media rather than the Leafs themselves. Not much anyone can do about that.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Sounds to me like you guys hate the Toronto media rather than the Leafs themselves. Not much anyone can do about that.

That's a pretty accurate statement for me. Living in Toronto, I get non-stop Leafs coverage, obviously. The interesting thing: when you visit other cities, you STILL get non-stop Leafs coverage. It gets to be a bit wearing, and I believe that this is where much of the "hate" is coming from, or at least it's the starting point. It's impossible to escape the coverage almost anywhere in Canada.

PS: it's not just the local Toronto media - even our national broadcaster has a fairly easy to detect Leafs bias.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Yeah, Either Cherry was wording himself wrong or that was a pretty moronic comment.

True, but it's this ridiculous media that leads to some Leaf fans who think every player on the Leafs is the best player ever.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
That game was hilarious. Defense? What's that?

I would laugh but that game had a such a Jets vibe to it as well. We don't seem to mind playing the run and gun games once in a while either.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

To be clear I don't hate the leafs at all but yea I think your post is spot on for the most part. all Canadian fan bases are going to have some friction because we are all a bit looney but what makes things different with Toronto is the coverage of the team on TSN and CBC.

Edit: Yea YWGinYYZ nailed it.....I have no trouble with the Toronto media doing what they do locally but its the national media being leaf home broadcast teams and the 24/7 leaf coverage in Winnipeg?

Ramsalot

Rergisterd Uhrser
Jan 17, 2013
Torpronto
Man, the Toronto media - aka. all national media - suuuucks. There is literally no reason to talk about the contract of a third liner for 3 minutes straight on a national highlights show, but they do. But they do. And the national commentators don't even pretend to care about the canadian teams that they aren't personally fans of so we always get stuck with extremely lackluster calling where they don't even want to follow the play and go on and on about how much smaller gloves are these days because back in the day the gloves used to come halfway up your arm but oh boy that really effects your mobility but the gloves these days you see leave a gap between your elbow pad and the glove so you know you can get hit by a puck there and oh boy it's going to be a doosie.

Love some of Colorado's young talent and 100% agree that a Coaching change can make a big difference and they do look very good in a small sample size so far. I will need to see the team go through some highs and lows before I am convinced they are for real and not just playing on emotions right now. every team goes through hot streaks and cold streaks in a year so we'll see.

Yeah. Remember that president's trophy San Jose won last year? Too bad they had to play more than ten games or it totally would have been theirs :sarcasm:

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
TSN Toronto Sports Network. They've has that nickname for many years. Sportsnet is even more Toronto centric. Southern Ontario is their bread and butter. Probably half of their viewership resides in Toronto's shadow. Toronto's local rating sell most of the advertising.

Mathmew Purrrr Oh

#meowmeowmeowmeow
Apr 18, 2013
meow
guess the goalie (garret/truck not allowed to participate)

luongo_medium.gif

edit: red dot=league avg, blue dot=actual performance, black curve=range of estimated possibilities of true talent, black dot=obv most likely guess of true talent

Last edited:

wpgsilver

Jun 14, 2011
Winnipeg
I really wish the Jets did something like 24CH.
So cool to get an inside look.

I was hoping with the success of Oil Change, the Jets would do something in year one. What a crazy year that would have been to document.

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
I really wish the Jets did something like 24CH.
So cool to get an inside look.

I was hoping with the success of Oil Change, the Jets would do something in year one. What a crazy year that would have been to document.

Would LOVE if we did something like that. Unfortunately, i've always thought of us as too private or secretive of an organization. Maybe one day..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->