Around The League Part 10: Sleep with one eye open

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
I wonder how much our roster changed 2 years out from the Vegas expansion. Cause we're still likely a couple years away and worrying about who to protect.

Biggest thing of note is that we lost the exemption for Aho, Slavin, and Pesce from that timeframe, but we also traded away Skinner and haven't added any other notable forwards that we'd have to protect.

here's the protected list from last time:
F:
PDG
Lindholm
McGinn
Rask
Skinner
Staal
Teravainen
D:
Carrick
Faulk
Murphy
G:
Darling

Aho, Zykov, Fleury, McKeown, Pesce, and Slavin were exempt.

If the expansion draft is in 2 years those 6 obviously will no longer be exempt, and Aho, Pesce, and Slavin will obviously be protected. However Necas, Svechnikov, Kuokkanen, Bean will all still be exempt.

Best bet is we trade a conditional 5th for Seattle to take Fleury/TVR and leave both exposed.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
The big question to me is when is the expansion? I was assuming it would be the after the next year for the '20-21 season, but now with what I've read following the Key Arena renovation vote and the prospect of a lockout that year, my guess is it will be one year later. That would change who is still exempt and who is not for us and make it harder to protect all of our young forwards.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
The big question to me is when is the expansion? I was assuming it would be the after the next year for the '20-21 season, but now with what I've read following the Key Arena renovation vote and the prospect of a lockout that year, my guess is it will be one year later. That would change who is still exempt and who is not for us and make it harder to protect all of our young forwards.

Undoubtedly. Yeah if it's following the 19-20 season we're still in good shape but who knows how the arena re-construction in Seattle is going to progress. Seattle's frigin weird for that sort of thing although at least the latest proposal passed unanimously.

FWIW Seattle's presentation for starting play in 20-21 to the NHL BOG occurs on the 2nd of next month.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Biggest thing of note is that we lost the exemption for Aho, Slavin, and Pesce from that timeframe, but we also traded away Skinner and haven't added any other notable forwards that we'd have to protect.

here's the protected list from last time:
F:
PDG
Lindholm
McGinn
Rask
Skinner
Staal
Teravainen
D:
Carrick
Faulk
Murphy
G:
Darling

Aho, Zykov, Fleury, McKeown, Pesce, and Slavin were exempt.

If the expansion draft is in 2 years those 6 obviously will no longer be exempt, and Aho, Pesce, and Slavin will obviously be protected. However Necas, Svechnikov, Kuokkanen, Bean will all still be exempt.

Best bet is we trade a conditional 5th for Seattle to take Fleury/TVR and leave both exposed.
I meant from two years before the Vegas expansion draft, since we are likely two years from Seattle.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
I meant from two years before the Vegas expansion draft, since we are likely two years from Seattle.
2015-16 Carolina Hurricanes Roster and Statistics | Hockey-Reference.com
Carolina Hurricanes Daily Cap Tracker - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

doesn't give the full breakdown of future contracts but IIRC Versteeg, Eric Staal, Liles, Hainsey, Wiz, Gerbe, McClement and Nash were all impending UFAs at that time. Hanifin, Slavin, Pesce to be exempt for the Vegas draft as far as roster regulars went.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
2015-16 Carolina Hurricanes Roster and Statistics | Hockey-Reference.com
Carolina Hurricanes Daily Cap Tracker - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

doesn't give the full breakdown of future contracts but IIRC Versteeg, Eric Staal, Liles, Hainsey, Wiz, Gerbe, McClement and Nash were all impending UFAs at that time. Hanifin, Slavin, Pesce to be exempt for the Vegas draft as far as roster regulars went.
Regardless, my overall, somewhat rhetorical sentiment is, I'm sure there were conversations had about guys that were nowhere near the team when the expansion draft ultimately happened. Hell, I seem to remember we had some sort of constant fear from several posters about losing a dman (Faulk?) because we didn't have enough guys with the right amount of experience to expose. And we all know it ended with us paying them to take Brickley to save Stempniak. I'm sure we won't get off so easily this time, short of paying again, but I just feel right now is way too early to worry.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
Ty Rattie looks amazing playing with #97 and the Nuge in Edmonton.

I can't say I remember much about his 5 games here......
Bet by the end of the year they'll be trying to trade him for a top-pairing D..."he's a great player in his own right, he wasn't riding the coattails of McDavid" (think how they treated Maroon after his 27G year next to McD)

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
Rattie is going to be this year's Cheechoo.

Sorry to nitpick bba, but I just dislike this perception. Cheechoo had a solid year before Thornton. 28 goals in the dpe, then 10 points in 17 playoff games. His later career was hampered by knee injuries and a faster game, his already poor skating went from bad to ludicrous.

Rocket Richard was a fluke, just saying he wasn't a pa parenteau or ty rattie or a tlusty, for that matter.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Sorry to nitpick bba, but I just dislike this perception. Cheechoo had a solid year before Thornton. 28 goals in the dpe, then 10 points in 17 playoff games. His later career was hampered by knee injuries and a faster game, his already poor skating went from bad to ludicrous.

Fair points. The comparison though was more of a guy with ability that excelled when put with an elite playmaker. That part of the comparison could hold if Rattie keeps this up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->