Around the League (non-Yotes NHL talk)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Raffi Torres is expected to be back for his 1st NHL game of the season vs the Devils on Sunday. :handclap:

Please let us try to get him back if he looks good out there.

He scored 2 last night vs. Philly.

0point1

Sep 14, 2011
Arizona
Winnipeg won again so the Yotes are now in the 11 spot (out of 14, ouch) in the west, if the Yotes lose tomorrow things are not looking too good.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Winnipeg won again so the Yotes are now in the 11 spot (out of 14, ouch) in the west, if the Yotes lose tomorrow things are not looking too good.

There's essentially only 1 spot we can sneak in at, and the other teams all vying for that spot are hot or warming up. Not handling teams like Calgary and Buffalo matters. Three more wins and this team is comfortably in control of 8th - six up on Dallas - and within striking range of 6,7 with games in hand.

No way this team gets past even the top 5 in the west this year, so I don't feel too bad about missing out. It might just lead to some much needed roster tweaks.

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
1 point back of 8th spot, same games as Dallas played. Only problem is they have 2 more ROW than us. We need to turn things around, and quickly. Thank god they lost today.

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
I don't know about you guys, but I honestly like watching games outdoors. There is so much snow coming down in Chicago right now, it might look like a really bad hockey game, but I love that there are other elements that the players have to deal with.

And screw those that say "the novelty is wearing off", I'd be there in a heartbeat if they had a game here in Phoenix at Chase or University of Phoenix Stadium, or even Frank Kush field.

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I went to the game in Buffalo a few years back. They're even better to see in person.

NBC says this is the first time Toews and Crosby have played against each other. Wow.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
And screw those that say "the novelty is wearing off", I'd be there in a heartbeat if they had a game here in Phoenix at Chase or University of Phoenix Stadium, or even Frank Kush field.
The novelty is wearing off, it was cool when it was just the Winter Classic but now there are stadium games all the time, it's no longer a unique annual event. If they had one in Phoenix I don't know if I'd go or not but I do know I couldn't care less if they ever have one. To each their own I suppose.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Snow is really having an impact on the quality of the game at the moment. They can't shovel often enough.

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
The novelty is definitely wearing off for me. I'm only watching this one because it's two great teams and I'm from Chicago. If they had one here, I'd go because that's what I do, but as an sth I'd be pissed if it cost me more and (no if about it) I'd be pissed to have to pay to see a game from such a ridiculous distance from the ice.

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
After trading Halak yesterday, the Blues needed a backup goalie for their game vs. the Ducks. The only person they could find was Anaheim's locker room attendant. Too bad he didn't get to play!

Desert Ice 11

Yoooooo
Aug 9, 2012
Tempe
After trading Halak yesterday, the Blues needed a backup goalie for their game vs. the Ducks. The only person they could find was Anaheim's locker room attendant. Too bad he didn't get to play!

That would have been hilarious. Wonder if they had to sign him to a one game deal.

Desert Ice 11

Yoooooo
Aug 9, 2012
Tempe
They do, but it's a one-day tryout contract that pays something like $500 for the day.

Not a bad bonus. Usually wouldn't expect that going into work. Probably would end up being one of those stories everyone is tired of hearing and thinks you are liar about it.

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
Not a bad bonus. Usually wouldn't expect that going into work. Probably would end up being one of those stories everyone is tired of hearing and thinks you are liar about it.

We have an ex-goalie, who happens to now be an usher at jobing.com, who has a story like that. Swears up and down he got asked to be the emergency backup for the Alaska ECHL team when they visited the Roadrunners here once, but we can't verify it independently, so we don't believe him :)

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
There was a fun story a few years ago where 51 year old Paul Deutsch was signed to a 1 day contract by Minnesota due to injury and concern their callup from the AHL wouldn't make it on time. But backup Matt Hackett got to the arena just before game time so Deutsch didn't make it on the game roster.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=602911

Desert Ice 11

Yoooooo
Aug 9, 2012
Tempe
There was a fun story a few years ago where 51 year old Paul Deutsch was signed to a 1 day contract by Minnesota due to injury and concern their callup from the AHL wouldn't make it on time. But backup Matt Hackett got to the arena just before game time so Deutsch didn't make it on the game roster.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=602911

Wasn't there one last year for the NY Rangers? I think it was some guy that played in college but didn't play in some years.

And I think there was one this year but I can't remember which team..I think it was some old guy who used to play in the AHL or NHL but retired.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Pirri wouldn't play here under Tipp. He was buried by Q because of his perceived lack of two-way play. I think he'll be a player though.

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
Marty Brouder has waived his clause and is expected to be traded. It's going to be weird seeing him on another team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad