Tidbits: Around the League: NHL News

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
My first thought is... finally! My second thought is... why in the world would you start testing this in the playoffs??

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
My first thought is... finally! My second thought is... why in the world would you start testing this in the playoffs??

Yeah, trying out this new technology in the pre-season seems like it would be the smarter thing to do.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
After looking a bit more, I found this article that says they've actually used it in 9 games so far this season, with 11 more still to come. Still, that seems like too small of a sample size to jump right into it in the playoffs.
NHL’s new puck will premiere on opening night of playoffs - TSN.ca
The NHL tested the new puck – made of the same traditional rubber but assembled in pieces around the electronics – by firing it out of a “puck cannon” at speeds up to 170 mph and the puck showed no worse for wear.

“We haven’t been able to break this one yet,” said Keith Horstman, the NHL’s vice-president of information technology. “We shot it [at] 170 mph, 20 times, and it didn’t beak, it didn’t deform.

“We’ve been trying to get them to tell us what the break point is and they can’t get the gun [to fire] high enough.”
McArdle said: “No cracking, no breaking. The rubber held up. No damage to the puck. We hit the corner of the puck on the crossbar to test various points of potential failure.”
It will eventually happen... they better have a contingency in mind if/when it does.

Nothing made of "pieces" is ever perfect. MLB still occasionally has the cover of a baseball separate even in the modern era. There WILL come a time - due to either a manufacturing defect or otherwise, that one of these will fail in a game.

The NHL put the pucks in the hands of top players around the league to use in practice. While there were no complaints, sources indicated Sidney Crosby was quick to notice that, for example, the edges of the puck felt different. There have also been comments about the weight and feel (hardness) of the puck from players.

Today’s players will be able to pick up on even a hint of a difference, just in the same way that players in the 1990s were able to correctly identify the pucks used for the old FoxTrax system in a blind test.
Will be interesting on the effects (if any) this might have with players.

The NHL’s new pucks are significantly more expensive to produce, believed to be around $100 per puck. The puck will transmit data 60 times per second, including location, speed, acceleration and deceleration and distance travelled. That information, along with tracking data gathered from tagging devices worn by players, will be displayed on broadcasts during playoffs.

The new pucks will activate as they are dropped by the on-ice officials and are expected to be deactivated when they are out of play or off the playing surface.
As these go into the crowd... someone is going to get one and try to hack the system.

Last edited:

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
It would be really cool to have the new metrics, similar to what they have in soccer. Now, on to testing for Coronavirus!

Hope things are OK out there in the PacNW @Nsjohnson.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Santa Clara county has banned crowd gatherings of 1000+ through the end of the month. That puts three Sharks home games in doubt as of now.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Santa Clara county has banned crowd gatherings of 1000+ through the end of the month. That puts three Sharks home games in doubt as of now.

Curious if they will cancel them outright or just not have fans there. Would be absolutely wild to see a game on TV with no fans in the stands :laugh:

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Complete overreaction. Especially considering that schools will remain open. I'm betting the Sharks move the games to a different location.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
U Dub is all online now, as well as Seattle U, and I believe, most of the school systems in the Seattle area. My second son was born in the hospital in Kirkland, WA, right beside the nursing home where all the deaths have been, which personalizes things. Also worried for my parents, who are very old now. At least kids seem to be somewhat unaffected by this thing.
Friend of my son was studying in Rome, and told to come home. No screening at all when he came home or guidance from anyone besides the school. He is at home doing a voluntary 14 day quarantine before he goes back to school.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Rumor has it, The U of M will be told not to come home from spring break. Was talking to an official at my School today who said it’s sounding like there’s a good chance we have to go online

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
Complete overreaction. Especially considering that schools will remain open. I'm betting the Sharks move the games to a different location.

Overreaction? This is a dangerous virus. In Italy people are not allowed to leave their homes, except buying food. Rome and Milan are ghost towns. That's how serious this is.

I guess games will be played without a crowd, like they do in parts of Europe. Just televised. Clubs and leagues will lose money, but many businesses are losing money these days.

Last edited:

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Overreaction? This is a dangerous virus. In Italy people are not allowed to leave their homes, except buying food. Rome and Milan are ghost towns. That's how serious this is.

I guess games will be played without a crowd, like they do in parts of Europe. Just televised. Clubs and leagues will lose money, but many businesses are losing money these days.
Yet in Minnesota, health officials are saying if you've been sick the past 2 months, there's a very high chance you had coronavirus and didn't and likely will never know it.

You can't stop or slow down what is already at a communal level in the region.

Thus, overreaction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->