Tidbits: Around the League: NHL News

Status
Not open for further replies.

guitarhunterdude

Jan 2, 2017
'Sota
Intermission reports with Chuck and Ernie would be must-watch TV IMO. I'm kinda looking forward to how they'll tie it into their NBA coverage, though I'm sure most hockey purists would disagree.

Reactions: Wild11MN

Prior

Jan 18, 2020
He's that good, eh?

I’m sure Montreal fans will love his first game. Watching a player skate like he can around the perimeter is fun and all. But at a certain point you need to play the game and there really isn’t a place for a player like that if they aren’t going to go scoring areas in the NHL. He needs to put on a lot of weight, that frame will not work in this league.

guitarhunterdude

Jan 2, 2017
'Sota
I’m sure Montreal fans will love his first game. Watching a player skate like he can around the perimeter is fun and all. But at a certain point you need to play the game and there really isn’t a place for a player like that if they aren’t going to go scoring areas in the NHL. He needs to put on a lot of weight, that frame will not work in this league.

Alex DeBrincat

Prior

Jan 18, 2020
MLB has been in trouble because it’s not a very interesting game. Nothing has changed.

NHL is not at all in trouble as it is and will continue be an extremely niche sport.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
I think the new television deal is great for the NHL. What channel do you see in every sports bar you go into? It's ESPN, of course. Simply put, games on ESPN will be seen by more eyeballs of the casual fans than if the game is on NBCSN.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I think the new television deal is great for the NHL. What channel do you see in every sports bar you go into? It's ESPN, of course. Simply put, games on ESPN will be seen by more eyeballs of the casual fans than if the game is on NBCSN.
I doubt it affects the ratings much at all.

If overtime wanted to watch hockey, they could find NBCSN just as easily. It wasn't done hard to access broadcast.

The benefit to the NHL is the money they were paid.

ESPN has been bleeding viewers just like everyone else. They won't bring a group of viewers that were "unable to watch hockey on NBCSN."

What's really bad for the NHL though, is Sinclair's refusal to negotiate with providers in good faith, leaving millions of fans in in all regions, unable to watch local teams on television.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
I doubt it affects the ratings much at all.

If overtime wanted to watch hockey, they could find NBCSN just as easily. It wasn't done hard to access broadcast.

The benefit to the NHL is the money they were paid.

ESPN has been bleeding viewers just like everyone else. They won't bring a group of viewers that were "unable to watch hockey on NBCSN."

What's really bad for the NHL though, is Sinclair's refusal to negotiate with providers in good faith, leaving millions of fans in in all regions, unable to watch local teams on television.

Once again, we disagree. :laugh:

NHL fans will find the games no matter where its on. But the casual non-hockey sports fan isn't going to take the time to find a game on NBCSN. But if they are sitting in a bar and ESPN is televising the game, it might attract some new fans to the game.

I do agree with your last point on Sinclair. I'm a YouTube TV streamer and refused to switch over to Comcast or AT&T to get FSN/Bally's....So I've resorted to other means to watch the Wild. :thumbu:

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Once again, we disagree. :laugh:

NHL fans will find the games no matter where its on. But the casual non-hockey sports fan isn't going to take the time to find a game on NBCSN. But if they are sitting in a bar and ESPN is televising the game, it might attract some new fans to the game.
Every bar I've seen that has ESPN these days, also has NBCSN on at the same time.

That said, bars showing a large group a channel actually hurts ratings, which is why bars have to pay a higher premium in the first place.

Bars won't help ratings.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
STL beat CO. We are now in danger of facing CO in the first round rather than VGK. Not good.

NHL1674

Whatever...
Sponsor
Aug 8, 2008
Minnesota
The Avs will murder us.

I HATE them! I've always hated them. More than I hated the Canucks in 2003. That whole franchise can just burn in h-e-double hockey sticks.

Reactions: MK9 and fgobuzz

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
The Avs will murder us.

I HATE them! I've always hated them. More than I hated the Canucks in 2003. That whole franchise can just burn in h-e-double hockey sticks.
Like I said... just go for first place. Let the Avs face Vegas, who has played them well, maybe they do is a favor and knock them out. Then we don't even have to face them all.

Nino Noderreiter

Jul 5, 2011
The Twin Cities
Every bar I've seen that has ESPN these days, also has NBCSN on at the same time.

That said, bars showing a large group a channel actually hurts ratings, which is why bars have to pay a higher premium in the first place.

Bars won't help ratings.

Disagree. Bars will show large groups games. Folks that watch hockey will watch both at bars or at home. Folks that don't watch hockey may watch at the bar and may become interested and watch outside of the bar--at least more-so than someone who isn't exposed to it at all.

There's a phenomena in sports econ that's interesting. Cities with more major sports teams get higher ratings and higher attendance than cities without major sports teams. This holds true even if that sports team is competing with other major sports for "sports fans" compared to cities that only have 1-2 major sports. Intuitively, you'd think that if there was only 1 major sport... everyone would tune into that sport.

However, the more sports teams there are... the more the city builds a culture of sports fans and the more the cities recreational activity involves around sports in general. The same concept here applies... more eye-balls is a good thing. Being shown on a network that's also known for other sports is a good thing.

Reactions: BagHead

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
Like I said... just go for first place. Let the Avs face Vegas, who has played them well, maybe they do is a favor and knock them out. Then we don't even have to face them all.

I don’t know if this is how I should be thinking about a team that has been playing great this season, but I’d rather not take 1st solely due to draft pick positioning. Winning our division means we’re picking 25-28th, regardless of if we win/lose either of the first two rounds.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I don’t know if this is how I should be thinking about a team that has been playing great this season, but I’d rather not take 1st solely due to draft pick positioning. Winning our division means we’re picking 25-28th, regardless of if we win/lose either of the first two rounds.
I think draft pick positioning to that degree is irrelevant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad