Tidbits: Around the League: NHL News

Status
Not open for further replies.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Maybe won't stop it all together but sure as hell will make refs think twice before they start vigilanting.
This isn't a problem of officials being "vigilantes". Peel wasn't doing anything that wasn't mandated by the league.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
This isn't a problem of officials being "vigilantes". Peel wasn't doing anything that wasn't mandated by the league.

I don't think the league even mandates it. It's not a problem exclusive to NHL refs. By the time a ref has worked his way up from college/juniors/minors to the NHL, they've been game managing for so long it's ingrained in all of them. NHL just hasn't done anything to have them stop doing it.

This chart pretty much says it all. Every ref does it, it's really just a difference on how much they call/let go and they all slightly favor the home team.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Problem fixed?:sarcasm:

I actually thought that the NHL were more embarrassed how about the F-bombs coming out of Peel's mouth.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
I don't think the league even mandates it. It's not a problem exclusive to NHL refs. By the time a ref has worked his way up from college/juniors/minors to the NHL, they've been game managing for so long it's ingrained in all of them. NHL just hasn't done anything to have them stop doing it.

This chart pretty much says it all. Every ref does it, it's really just a difference on how much they call/let go and they all slightly favor the home team.

Pretty much everything an official does is mandated by the league. The officials didn't decide 15 years ago to just start calling interference again, and they didn't make the decision a few years ago to start cracking down on slashes and hooks on the hands.

You're 100% correct that just about every ref at every level does it, but if the NHL didn't want it to happen, it wouldn't. The only thing that Peel did that the league didn't want him to do, was to say it on a microphone. Benching him is just the NHL hoping to fool enough people for it not to become an issue. By the looks of the boards, it's working.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Pretty much everything an official does is mandated by the league. The officials didn't decide 15 years ago to just start calling interference again, and they didn't make the decision a few years ago to start cracking down on slashes and hooks on the hands.

You're 100% correct that just about every ref at every level does it, but if the NHL didn't want it to happen, it wouldn't. The only thing that Peel did that the league didn't want him to do, was to say it on a microphone. Benching him is just the NHL hoping to fool enough people for it not to become an issue. By the looks of the boards, it's working.
Meh... I don't think anyone believes any other problem has been solved besides the fact that Tim Peel... one of the worst refs in the league, will not be a ref anymore.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Vegas and Colorado playing a really good game right now. Clearly the two best in the division... currently 2-2 early in the 2nd.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
How can anyone with the Wild, play or coach in this league like they do... yet after playing other teams with good power plays... still think that the best power play strategy they can have, is to pass between stationary players?

Watched Vegas bring it to Colorado and then Colorado bring it right back to Vegas... two very mobile dangerous power plays.

Nobody just standing waiting for the puck to be passed to them, nobody just standing looking for someone to pass to.

Always shifting and moving, roving around.

Passes opening up across the slot because of all that motion, the defenses simply can't cover the space in play as a result.

The simple box PK, ends up in disarray.

Reactions: Spurgeon

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
How can anyone with the Wild, play or coach in this league like they do... yet after playing other teams with good power plays... still think that the best power play strategy they can have, is to pass between stationary players?

Watched Vegas bring it to Colorado and then Colorado bring it right back to Vegas... two very mobile dangerous power plays.

Nobody just standing waiting for the puck to be passed to them, nobody just standing looking for someone to pass to.

Always shifting and moving, roving around.

Passes opening up across the slot because of all that motion, the defenses simply can't cover the space in play as a result.

The simple box PK, ends up in disarray.

This is pretty much how our PP was for game 1. Generated a lot of chances, but didn’t score, and they nuked it the next game.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
Sad thing is, this wasn't a "tank" year for them. They were supposed to be better.

Their team didn’t look bad on paper, I thought they had a chance at the playoffs. I still think their biggest problem is their defense and it’s something they’ve never addressed in their entire tenure of being terrible.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Their team didn’t look bad on paper, I thought they had a chance at the playoffs. I still think their biggest problem is their defense and it’s something they’ve never addressed in their entire tenure of being terrible.

I think Dahlin was supposed to be at least 60% of them addressing it, but that's not looking too good right now.

I can't say I've watched a ton of Buffalo, but from the highlights I've seen, he has looked pretty lost.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I think Dahlin was supposed to be at least 60% of them addressing it, but that's not looking too good right now.

I can't say I've watched a ton of Buffalo, but from the highlights I've seen, he has looked pretty lost.

I don't know if they've "ruined" him yet, but man, he is learning from nobody. He has no mentor on that team.

Reactions: Nsjohnson

Nsjohnson

Hockey.
Jun 22, 2012
Miami
Yep it is a problem. I do think Dahlin was not overrated. I think he is lost because the entire franchise is lost. And yes no mentor, no one teaching him the ins and outs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad