Tidbits: Around the League: NHL News

Status
Not open for further replies.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Chayka certainly leaving stink behind him. Think that's the last we see of him in the NHL as a GM.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
That, on top of their perennial financial problems with their facilities, makes them a possibility to move in the next couple of years.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
That, on top of their perennial financial problems with their facilities, makes them a possibility to move in the next couple of years.
Agreed. Did they sign a big lease extension recently? Thought I read that a while back, but I couldn’t find anything on it.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN

Chayka created much of the situation outside of the money troubles the pandemic is causing (beyond their already tight purse strings that franchise has always had). If he didn't walk, he probably wasn't long for the job before getting fired anyway.

HotDish

Win it for Hynes
Aug 17, 2020
The State of Hockey
Personally I hope to not see Zona move. I don’t think any fan base deserves to see their team relocate. I think they have a lot of issues, but a lot can be fixed by a stable and good ownership.

unfortunately, the pandemic hit the hospitality industry which IIRC is where the new owner has most of his money tied into.

also it is a real shame that their playoffs were in a bubble. If there wasn’t a pandemic, Arizona could’ve sold out their arena and have a chance to create new fans.

Reactions: 123TripleDoge

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Personally I hope to not see Zona move. I don’t think any fan base deserves to see their team relocate. I think they have a lot of issues, but a lot can be fixed by a stable and good ownership.

unfortunately, the pandemic hit the hospitality industry which IIRC is where the new owner has most of his money tied into.

also it is a real shame that their playoffs were in a bubble. If there wasn’t a pandemic, Arizona could’ve sold out their arena and have a chance to create new fans.

I was actually surprised by how full their stadium was for the few games I went to this year. I do think the location of the stadium is part of it. It's way out in Glendale right next to the Cardinals stadium, which works for the Cardinals because most of their games are on Sunday. Trying to get to Glendale for a hockey game on a week night, it can take an hour or more from most of the valley with the rush hour traffic. Getting from Scottsdale to Glendale would be like going from Oakdale to St. Louis Park but taking 694. And some parts of Gilbert/Mesa are even further.

Last edited:

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Arizona really needs an owner like Leipold who doesn't care as much about the money as he does about the sport. A GM who can actually build a good team wouldn't hurt either.

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
I heard they have to finish next season, including the playoffs, by June 30th because of the Olympics. So there will be another shortened but intense season, they plan to drop the All-Star and the bye week. Could also be the bubble format again, with empty seats.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
I feel like they should just do another 60-70 game season and plan on getting back to normal by '21-'22.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
They say full season so there is no premature renegotiation on TV money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad