Tidbits: Around the League: NHL News - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
The firing is (supposedly) unrelated to the tweets - they weren't even aware of the Twitter statement before it was released.

Last edited:

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
The firing is unrelated to the tweets - they weren't even aware of the Twitter statement before it was released.

Yeah... sure... this is a weak attempt at saving face.
If it was unrelated, they would've waited at least 2 weeks since their season is already over.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Yeah... sure... this is a weak attempt at saving face.
If it was unrelated, they would've waited a few weeks since their season is already over.
Maybe, maybe not. No doubt the timing is very odd.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
The firing is unrelated to the tweets - they weren't even aware of the Twitter statement before it was released.

The same ownership that okayed that rebuild letter 3 years ago?

press-x-to-doubt-la-noire.jpg

Reactions: TaLoN

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
Probably the owner never gained trust in the GM for letting Zuccarello go

More truth in this than you think.
NYR owner James Dolan, who's also a country music artist, went to Norway and invited Mats to a festival there. I'm sure they had a great time ;)

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017

I don't buy this one, I'm sure the "Wilson case" has something to do with it.

First, very strange to fire both the GM and the president just because they didn't make the playoffs this season.
Second, head coach David Quinn is still there.

KaprizovEntitlelist

Feb 22, 2020
I don't buy this one, I'm sure the "Wilson case" has something to do with it.

First, very strange to fire both the GM and the president just because they didn't make the playoffs this season.
Second, head coach David Quinn is still there.

There's reports that the two fired didn't agree with Jim Dolan, & christine d releasing that statement

Apparently they are like Kevin weeks who blasted rangers for releasing statement, & praised players safety department

Seems Kevin weeks will always be a company line man

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
It could also be they knew they were on the way out and did a f you.
That does seem possible. It still seems goofy to fire them after a 3-year rebuild that's mostly gone alright and seems to be trending up, but the Rangers haven't exactly been drama-free either. Regardless, if things were already headed this way the Wilson thing probably would have accelerated the timeline.

I don't believe for a second that they weren't aware of that tweet until after the firing, though.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
That does seem possible. It still seems goofy to fire them after a 3-year rebuild that's mostly gone alright and seems to be trending up, but the Rangers haven't exactly been drama-free either. Regardless, if things were already headed this way the Wilson thing probably would have accelerated the timeline.

I don't believe for a second that they weren't aware of that tweet until after the firing, though.
The report was that they weren't aware of the tweet until after the posting, not after the firing.

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
It could also be they knew they were on the way out and did a f you.

Yeah well Dolan has been waiting for a chance to get rid of Gorton, who also traded fan favorite Zucc for two conditional 1st round picks and both failed. And now Zucc is having his best season ever :biglaugh:

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
The report was that they weren't aware of the tweet until after the posting, not after the firing.

Ah, I was conflating it with Dreger's tweet about the firing being unrelated to the tweet. I can believe that ownership didn't see it coming until it was already out there.

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
Holy crap I was on the Rangers board, and that GM fired thread runs at 150 posts a minute.
And tonight there's another NYR vs WSH game, Wilson says hello.

I bet those mods in there are sweating...

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
There's an interview with NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly. He said there's been no communication between the league and the Rangers after the statement. Will not say if the Rangers will be fined or not. But he did say that the league will not accept a personal attack on George Parros, who's doing a fabulous job, according to Daly.

An hour after this interview the Rangers fired Gorton and Davidson...interesting.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
There's an interview with NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly. He said there's been no communication between the league and the Rangers after the statement. Will not say if the Rangers will be fined or not. But he did say that the league will not accept a personal attack on George Parros, who's doing a fabulous job, according to Daly.

An hour after this interview the Rangers fired Gorton and Davidson...interesting.

Company man trying to protect the Company. Not a shocker.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad