Around The League LXXXIV - All Non-Playoff Talk Here

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
2 minutes for delay of game if the challenge doesn't result in an infraction being called/overturned.

I agree but instead of infraction being called/overturned, just the dispute being reasonable. If it's a close play but not quite enough to get the call changed, I don't think that should cost you a penalty.

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
Doesn't each team only get one challenge per game though and it would use their timeout?
I think MS's point is they might stall for time while their own staff decides whether or not a challenge will be successful, either through discussing what they saw or using their own video capabilities (especially in the age of smartphones and such). That way they kind of get to have their cake and eat it too -- it'd be an abuse of process along the lines of "getting confused" following an icing call and making an illegal change before being told to put your now-less-tired players back on. (This should be penalized even if accidental, in my mind).

I would rather just extend the powers of the video review on goals/no goals. Too often a goal gets reviewed and we hear "that's not reviewable", if it obviously wrong then allow the review guys to fix it - there should be no need for a challenge in such circumstances.
Part of the problem is how often the "Toronto War Room" actually gets it wrong, though. It's embarrassing, frankly, when TV stations and people at home can often see easily what happened, but in Toronto they either "don't have the angle", or don't understand what kicking a puck means under their own rules, etc.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
That won't change though. Human's will **** things up, as the video guys do now. It is better to allow more room to get stuff right.

DCantheDDad

DisplacedNuckfan
Jul 1, 2013
Edmonton
And now there is speculation the NHL may force the owners to put the Coyotes up for sale, so new owners can create a better relationship with Glendale and renegotiate. Cant we just let the Coyotes die? Let's give Seattle a try.

Samzilla

Prust & Dorsett are
Apr 2, 2011
And now there is speculation the NHL may force the owners to put the Coyotes up for sale, so new owners can create a better relationship with Glendale and renegotiate. Cant we just let the Coyotes die? Let's give Seattle a try.

i've never seen a league try so hard to keep a team in a clearly failed market.

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
Nordiques is trending...

Bring them back, please.
Not if P-K Péladeau is in any way involved. They will be a completely political tool -- I don't want that in the NHL.

Although it will be interesting to see how he gets out of singing the national anthem before games. (Doubly ironic, because the original French version of "O Canada" is actually a Quebec nationalist song).

OzFlyers

Registered Boozer
Jul 3, 2011
Australia
Any idea when the Canucks pre-season schedule will be out? I am visiting your fine city late September to mid-October and would love to catch some games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad