Around the League - LXVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
Boston almost blew it twice that year. they went on to win and we didn't thats the only difference. Its funny how you are acting like it is. :laugh:

Awful stuff.

Sure if you want to only look at the results and not the games.

But if we do that we see the Canucks going down 4-1, then 4-0 in the next 2 years if we want to follow that consistent route right?

AV even has it right in his quote in that "the Canucks weren't in those games" and they lacked the team push back one would expect from a SC contender, it's just my opinion at the time and sadly it proved to be the case.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
did either Boston or the black Hawks implode in a series like the canucks did in round 1 with the hawks?

The Chicago Blackhawks lost 3 of first 4 games in 2013 Semi Finals, the Vancouver Canucks lost 3 of the last 4 games in the Quarter Finals. The Boston Bruins lost 4 straight games in the 2010 Conference Finals.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Maybe a Lecavalier-like deal, only he doesn't have the injury/durability issues that have dogged Lecavalier.

Both of these guys end up in FLA this offseason, IMO. Then, when St. Louis leaves NYR, he'll rejoin them there, barring retirement.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
I think you are taking offence far to easily.

You are also discussing it like it is AV vs the 2011 Canucks, It may be hard for AV haters to admit, but 2011 AV and the 2011 Canucks are one

So when he says how badly they preformed in Boston, he could be looking at himself and saying, hey I did not do a good enough job in that series, to get the team over the line, but in this series I think we were closer...

Just because you disagree with how he views it, dose not make him a dick, nor was what he said that bad...

AV did a great job with this team ... except in the Finals. He made some idiotic mistakes there. You could say much the same thing about the Rangers when it came to the Finals. So has he really learned and improved?

I'm a fan of this team, I'm going to take offence when anyone who used to be with the organization puts the team down, whether explicitly or in this case passive-aggressively.

A finals record of 3-4 with us versus 1-4 and he says he was closer? I understand it's arguable, but in that case out of respect he should have just shut his mouth.

Of course I'm biased because I think one of the worst qualities AV had as a coach was his penchant for running his mouth about players and generally not being accountable.

ddawg1950

Jul 2, 2010
Pender Island, BC Palm Desert, CA
The playoff record since 11 shows otherwise.

They were also a goalpost away from not getting past that first round that year, maybe it's bad luck, a conspiracy or maybe yes they were SC pretenders.

Using the logic up thread losing 4-1 and then 4-0 in the next 2 playoffs is pretty "concrete" to quote another guy eh?

We will agree to disagree on that one but calling it rubbish is getting silly.

Nope.

Still rubbish.

Just my opinion of course.

But sadly, true.

LiquidSnake

Jun 10, 2011
Vancouver, BC
The Chicago Blackhawks lost 3 of first 4 games in 2013 Semi Finals, the Vancouver Canucks lost 3 of the last 4 games in the Quarter Finals. The Boston Bruins lost 4 straight games in the 2010 Conference Finals.

And thus, the goalposts shall be moved again to another stupid unfounded argument :laugh:

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
So, we are not done? :laugh:

But I do appreciate that there are posters like you on this board that are willing to deal with facts to destroy the kind of misinformation that is often toxic to a proper analysis of the team's problems.

Well at least our fall was hard enough to pick 6th this year, so there is that, hopefully we draft well enough to advance our future.

Boston and the Hawks as listed above both have that "it factor" that we just didn't have, history is what it is.

Last edited:

ddawg1950

Jul 2, 2010
Pender Island, BC Palm Desert, CA
Well at let our fall was hard enough to pick 6th this year, so there is that, hopefully we draft well enough to advance our future.

Boston and the Hawks as listed above both have that "it factor" that we just didn't have, history is what it is.

Especially to those who try to re-write it.

You original argument was that the Canucks were pretenders the year we went to the SCF.

Three years later we did fall to 24th overall.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
I really think Tampa has to go after spezza, he should be pleased playing where no one will recognize him plus it's Florida, pretty much the best place to after -40 Ottawa.
He can slot in behind stamkos as 2c getting less difficult matchups and stamkos/spezza power play would be lethal.

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
I really think Tampa has to go after spezza, he should be pleased playing where no one will recognize him plus it's Florida, pretty much the best place to after -40 Ottawa.
He can slot in behind stamkos as 2c getting less difficult matchups and stamkos/spezza power play would be lethal.

The thing is with Spezza, as it is with Kesler, is how badly a team needs or wants anyone on a 1 or 2 year contract and what it will cost them.

Thorton might be available as well as Brad Richards and while all 4 guys bring different elements and value to potential teams they also carry different costs.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
The Sharks will be forced to watch the Kings' Cup banner raising ceremony. Ouch.

That's gotta suck, knowing you were one more win away from preventing it from even happening.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
The thing is with Spezza, as it is with Kesler, is how badly a team needs or wants anyone on a 1 or 2 year contract and what it will cost them.

Thorton might be available as well as Brad Richards and while all 4 guys bring different elements and value to potential teams they also carry different costs.
Tampa just fits for spezza, especially if they resign Callahan and they have the extra 1st that Ottawa would want in return.

Thornton is too slow for tampas playing style and Richards wasn't exactly great playing in the same conference. Without MSL feeding stamkos who else is best suited for it, I think spezza is the clear favourite

Free Edler

Enjoy retirement, boys.
Feb 27, 2002
Surrey, BC
Tampa just fits for spezza, especially if they resign Callahan and they have the extra 1st that Ottawa would want in return.

Thornton is too slow for tampas playing style and Richards wasn't exactly great playing in the same conference. Without MSL feeding stamkos who else is best suited for it, I think spezza is the clear favourite
Doesn't Callahan want a ridiculous contract extension - somewhere north of $6M/yr - that would be better spent on a guy like Spezza and use the remainder to get him some wingers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad