Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
Agreed, expect a blow up rebuild.

940-burke-8col.jpg

Looks like someone might have a job again. Remember, he doesn't believe in traditional rebuilds.

Columbus better not try and chisel Gillman away.

jigsaw99

Dec 20, 2010
Based on the city? Because the team and now the management are completely different than what they were.

He's not going to want to go to a team that is rebuilding from scratch. He's never going to have a chance to win a stanley cup there in what's 4 to 5 years left of his career.

ZenMaster*

Agreed, expect a blow up rebuild.

Columbus is going to have one heck of an off-season with three top-15 draft picks in a deep draft akin to the 2003 entry draft, which was arguably the deepest draft in NHL history.

I would love to snag Anisimov or Dubinksky from them to fill in our elusive 3C.

Free Edler

Enjoy retirement, boys.
Feb 27, 2002
Surrey, BC
Columbus is going to have one heck of an off-season with three top-15 draft picks in a deep draft akin to the 2003 entry draft, which was arguably the deepest draft in NHL history.

Prefer Dubinsky to Anisimov but I doubt either are traded until the dust settles a bit around their now-vacant GM position. I reckon Todd Richards is coaching for his job right now, although he probably was before too. Good assistant, not an NHL head coach.

Burke seems like the obvious PR choice here but I don't know how well he'd mix with Davidson, who isn't a similar personality. Gilman would be an outstanding fit there (just like anywhere, the guy has 'GM' written all over him but is glass-ceilinged here), but if they want a salesman, they'll hire Burke.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
He's not going to want to go to a team that is rebuilding from scratch. He's never going to have a chance to win a stanley cup there in what's 4 to 5 years left of his career.

And what is FLA right now?

If he wants to be a starter anywhere, he's got to keep his options open.

TSN pushing Jarmo Kekalainen as the new GM, as the best potential candidate.

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto

D. Sedin - H. Sedin - Burrows
Booth - Kesler - Schroeder
Higgins - Dubinsky - Hansen
Raymond - Lapierre - Malhotra

HOT

jigsaw99

Dec 20, 2010
And what is FLA right now?

If he wants to be a starter anywhere, he's got to keep his options open.

TSN pushing Jarmo Kekalainen as the new GM, as the best potential candidate.

Florida is due to the wife factor. Also, they have a decent team and they made playoffs last year and nearly beat NJ losing in OT in game 7. I'm sure Lu might of changed his mind since the summer now that Florida has the bad start they have now. CBJ has never made the playoffs in their franchise history and looking at their current line up, they aren't going there for a while. Seeing how Canucks may have a good chance to win the cup come trade deadline, he might just ride and out and hope for a chance to win the cup even as a back up.

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
What i like about him is he can play the wing or center. I am fine with Schoeder as 3rd line center, what i am not okay with is what happens if one of the centers gets injured. It was good to give Burrows some time. I would like up to have a player who can fill in well in either position.

Unfortunately, his cap is 4.2 million, and with the cap going down next season, Canucks can not afford him, especially only to play on the 3rd line.
Plus, you will have to pay through the nose to get him.

I understand why you want him, but he is really just a luxury right now.

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
Florida is due to the wife factor. Also, they have a decent team and they made playoffs last year and nearly beat NJ losing in OT in game 7. I'm sure Lu might of changed his mind since the summer now that Florida has the bad start they have now. CBJ has never made the playoffs in their franchise history and looking at their current line up, they aren't going there for a while.

CBJ made it in 2008 and got swept by the Red Wings.

Jack Tripper

Vey Falls Down
Dec 15, 2009
Perth, WA
john davidson establishes full control in columbus, maybe they can finally start to turn things around now with his leadership

if they continue to tank this season they'll have a top-3 pick as well as two other potentially high first round selections (from los angelas and ny rangers) in a strong 2013 draft...davidson clearly didn't want howson part of the scouting process for perhaps their final opportunity to remake the franchise

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Has there been a European GM? ever?

I don't think so, but if there were to be, Jarmo makes an excellent choice. He's proven to have one of the best eye's for talent around. A huge advantage in the GM position. You must be a talent evaluator first and foremost.

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
Strange time to fire Howson. Columbus' problems are linked to their awful development; the franchise has a graveyard of first round picks they've ruined. CBJ fans will tell you the franchise has stopped doing this, but looking at Johansen it doesn't seem they're really learned the lesson completely.

It would be hilarious if they hired Burke, I can't think of a worse fit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad