Around the League: It Smells Like Hockey!

Status
Not open for further replies.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
The Leafs started out pretty well during the Matthews tank season. Usually these hot starts cool off.

They had 1 win in their first 10 games. What you might be remembering is that they made it to a record of 16-15-7 by early January before the tank finally started.

Reactions: 1specter

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Montreal are doing classic rebuild mistakes the Leafs had been doing for years:

1. Pointlessly acquiring decent not great NHL talent (Tatar, Domi) instead of futures when making rebuild moves. Ticket to sustained mediocrity.
2. Rushing draft picks to the NHL lineup (Mete, Kotkaniemi, Juulsen).
3. Trading a great prospect (Sergachev) for a shiny new thing (Drouin) to get positive vibes in the short term from the fanbase/media.
4. Overcompensating overachievers (Byron, Shaw) with term especially.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
I, got one, am happy Montreal isn’t entirely sucking. Keeps them away from better odds for Hughes

Detroit and (surprise surprise) Arizona have taken the early lead in that race.

I expect the Panthers to get it going soon. Then again maybe Hoffman’s girlfriend (or fiancée?) has already destroyed that dressing room....

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
They had 1 win in their first 10 games. What you might be remembering is that they made it to a record of 16-15-7 by early January before the tank finally started.

Yeah I think you're right. Though they seemed to be defensively well structured and lost a lot of close games early on. Too lazy to look up the bad old days, however.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Only thing I'm touching here is what I've bolded ......

Well, I do agree it starts at the top with any organization.

Your back with pushing the "what ifs" which you falsely claim my post is based on (maybe you didn't read my post, don't know), but guess we'll go in circles on that subject, so its pointless to go down that path again.

I'll end this by saying "the Oilers suck". Dumbing it down & saying things like this is more the norm around here & works better.

I'm out.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Gotta admit though, they aren't nearly as bad as people thought. They have a pretty nice top 6 that is young and work well as a team. I hope a real rivalry starts up again between the Leafs and Habs. Looks like the one line Bruin team aren't going anywhere. They are going to get shredded on the road.

Yes, Montreal and Boston suck. I think I'm following the playbook correctly here.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
Well, I do agree it starts at the top with any organization.

Your back with pushing the "what ifs" which you falsely claim my post is based on (maybe you didn't read my post, don't know), but guess we'll go in circles on that subject, so its pointless to go down that path again.

I'll end this by saying "the Oilers suck". Dumbing it down & saying things like this is more the norm around here & works better.

I'm out.
You asked a question and I responded as legitimately as anyone possibly could have. I had no intention of "dumbing it down" because I thought you wanted to have a conversation. My suggestion for the future would be that if you don't like people discussing other teams then don't ask about them. And yeah, avoiding the "Around The League" thread is probably a good idea - Some teams aren't all that great, and some people might wanna talk about them.

And your exact quote was, "What if the Oilers have a great year this year? That could change the dialogue (i.e., 2 of last 3 seasons that they made playoffs, and/or advanced beyond the 1st round possibly)." - That's literally all "what-if", as the previous Playoff appearance is a complete outlier based on everything we've seen before and since, and there's nothing to suggest that anything should change this year.

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009

Yea, If the usual whipping boys on D (Hainsey/Zaitsev/Gards) ever did this, it would be used against them every GDT. Parayko is a good player but these things happen.

Im also not a big fan of our broadcasts sometimes focusing the camera in on a dman after a goal against, especially when its not thier fault (which happens more than it should). Millen is brutal on analysis sometimes as well.

It's like when Matthews does his no look pass to no one in the D zone leading to a give away basically every game so far. He does so much positives nobody even makes a comment about it. I personally forget he did it 2 seconds after it happened because not a ounce of me was upset.

A guy like Hainsey or Gardiner has never earned that level of tolerance. Gardiner did once but then lost it.

I think that is what it's like for guys like Parayko. Their net impact is so positive on D that it allows them to make brutal mistakes without having a trickle down effect to allow guys like Hainsey to get the benefit of the doubt.

Razz

Jan 23, 2011
Mississauga
Yes, Montreal and Boston suck. I think I'm following the playbook correctly here.

Take your crusade elsewhere. I was giving an honest compliment to Montreal and Boston does not suck, they just lack depth which is showing early and will not work very well on the road.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
1. You asked a question and I responded as legitimately as anyone possibly could have. I had no intention of "dumbing it down" because I thought you wanted to have a conversation. 2. My suggestion for the future would be that if you don't like people discussing other teams then don't ask about them. And yeah, avoiding the "Around The League" thread is probably a good idea - Some teams aren't all that great, and some people might wanna talk about them.

3. And your exact quote was, "What if the Oilers have a great year this year? That could change the dialogue (i.e., 2 of last 3 seasons that they made playoffs, and/or advanced beyond the 1st round possibly)." - That's literally all "what-if", as the previous Playoff appearance is a complete outlier based on everything we've seen before and since, and there's nothing to suggest that anything should change this year.

1. Once again, I wasn't really asking a question. I merely thought it was less confrontational to express the point as a question versus making a statement. You've ignored this yet again.

2. Thanks for your concerns for my well being. But, I think I will continue to post what I want, where I want. Again, thanks though.

3. You ignore the point I made about them making the playoffs and going to the 2nd round just 2 years ago. So, obviously, that is NOT a "what-if". It's history. It really happened. But I guess its easier to stick to the narrative if you cherry pick and ignore facts & what people say. I don't know if its an outlier or not, and neither do you even if you present it as a "fact". I'll trust your clairvoyant capabilities here though as I know I have none.

I'll conclude with the per usual "Oilers suck" & move on. That works better here.

Last edited:

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Take your crusade elsewhere. I was giving an honest compliment to Montreal and Boston does not suck, they just lack depth which is showing early and will not work very well on the road.

Boston is a one line teams with no other skilled players beyond the 1st line. They will be no threat to our superior team and depth. They aren't exactly terrible and super-sucky, they just suck (medium level of suck). Hope this works for your sensitivity.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
1. Once again, I wasn't really asking a question. I merely thought it was less confrontational to express the point as a question versus making a statement. You've ignored this yet again.

2. Thanks for your concerns for my well being. But, I think I will continue to post what I want, where I want. Again, thanks though.

3. You ignore the point I made about them making the playoffs and going to the 2nd round just 2 years ago. So, obviously, that is NOT a "what-if". It's history. It really happened. But I guess its easier to stick to the narrative if you cherry pick and ignore facts & what people say. I don't know if its an outlier or not, and neither do you even if you present it as a "fact". I'll trust your clairvoyant capabilities here though as I know I have none.

I'll conclude with the per usual "Oilers suck" & move on. That works better here.
So you've recognized that your own posing of a question (which you did, whether you "were really" or not) is what got you a response (which you didn't want), but you're gonna continue to post in that manner anyway? Suit yourself - But doing the exact same thing and expecting different results is exactly what the Oilers have been doing for the past 10 years, and it hasn't gotten them anywhere yet (except the 2nd round that one time a couple years ago). And I didn't ignore that you "weren't asking a question" - I acknowledged that point and told you that that was a weird way to go about things, to which you've now said you would continue posting what you like, where you like.

You also suggest that I ignored your point about the Playoffs, but 5 sentences later suddenly remember that I didn't ignore it at all - I acknowledged it as an apparent outlier in what has been an otherwise consistent mess. There's nothing clairvoyant about looking at the past and noticing a pattern with one blip in it. Good grief. Not to mention that clinging to their one Playoff appearance from 2 years ago among a decade of failures as a reason for why they should be able to mystically turn it around, despite no changes in organizational philosophy or makeup, is the very definition of cherry-picking and ignoring facts.

Reactions: Havoc

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal

1. Pointlessly acquiring decent not great NHL talent (Tatar, Domi) instead of futures when making rebuild moves. Ticket to sustained mediocrity.
3. Trading a great prospect (Sergachev) for a shiny new thing (Drouin) to get positive vibes in the short term from the fanbase/media.
This is as good a summary of the habs' situation as I've seen. as a Habs fan, you have my compliments along with a long, frustrated sigh...

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
So Pickard let in 6 goals today.

54163835.jpg

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
watching the sabres again, Eichel is super skilled but makes a bunch of unforced errors with his passing. Dahlin is pretty physical in his own end, i'm very impressed with him.

Last edited:

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015

Can you really rebuild with paying a goalie who is close to 30 over 10mil and a 33yrs old Dman another 9mil. With both contracts still have 7 plus more years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->