Around the League - Is it Playoffs Yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
No. They havent picked 1st for three years now

I would be in favour of a rule put in place that a if a team picks 1st overall they cannot pick in the top 3 the following year.

as Pure as Evil

Sep 18, 2011
Hell, Alberta
its a catch 22. if they do win the lottery are they going to be willing to give dahlin 10 mil + in 3-4 years. since we will be looking at what drais and mac got.they are doomed if they cant start developing lower tier players. the lottery is just a new shiny toy if they cant build around it

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Just give Edmonton the 1st overall pick every year and be done with it! They won't be able to pay them all in the long run!

It's not like they have done anything with all the 1st overall picks they've had in the last decade or so!

Edmonton needs to skip a few generations before winning any more Stanley Cups after having Gretzky and company in the 1980's.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Four 1st overalls but only two were from finishing last. Don't know what can be done about that. The NHL is a business as much as it is a sport though, so I'd guess that's the deal with the draft lottery as opposed to the former method of going by the standings. Big difference between last season and this for them, though that could be said for a few teams (positively and negatively). Is that parity? Not sure.

Last edited:

Contenderorpretender

Oct 10, 2017
Lol. Why. They ruin players, habe a terrible management group. This makes it extremely fun to troll their fans. Other than the leafs, there's actually no other team I love to see win it.

Dzonna

Mar 28, 2017
I think it’s kind of funny. Imagine being competitive and considered a future start your whole life. Consensus number draft pick in your draft year and then watching Edmonton win the lottery lmao. You’re future is with them. They could fix there team but trading that pick or anyone before other then CM but they’ll continue to draft at number 1 and go nowhere.

Beaumaris

May 21, 2015
its a catch 22. if they do win the lottery are they going to be willing to give dahlin 10 mil + in 3-4 years. since we will be looking at what drais and mac got.they are doomed if they cant start developing lower tier players. the lottery is just a new shiny toy if they cant build around it
They have absolutely nothing in Bakersfield.:rolleyes:

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
If you were the Oilers, would you consider dangling your first round pick to see what is out there? They need to win now, if they can get something good for a top 5 pick I think they should pull the trigger. Another high draft pick is of no use for them.

Beaumaris

May 21, 2015
Four 1st overalls but only two were from finishing last. Don't know what can be done about that. The NHL is a business as much as it is a sport though, so I'd guess that's the deal with the draft lottery as opposed to the former method of going by the standings. Big difference between last season and this for them, though that could be said for a few teams (positively and negatively). Is that parity? Not sure.
I always wonder why the team just missing the playoffs
doesn't automatically get the first pick,the team just below them
gets the next pick,and so forth down the line.Teams then would
be trying their best to finish as high as possible.Tanking would be a thing of the past,
and the fans would get an honest bang for their buck the full season.Im just saying,
makes sense to me.

Beaumaris

May 21, 2015
be trying their best to finish as high as possible.

Brown Dog

Jun 23, 2007

Yeah but then you get a team like Pittsburgh narrowly miss the playoffs and then land another superstar. I don't think that would work, though I understand your thinking.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
Who cares?
All the future young stars in the NHL? Edmonton is where talent goes to die.

And that isn't even much of a joking response. It isn't unfair for hockey fans or the NHL. It's just cruel to the players who get drafted by Edmonton.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
but it's not a Leafs topic. it doesn't impact the leafs at all.
why not ask this on edmonton's board o the main boards.

but to answer the question no
if they win the lottery they won it. its how the numbers fell

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015

It's an interesting thought, though Philly made a huge jump to land Nolan Patrick last year. Not sure of other past examples at the moment. I guess the thinking is that the further down a team finishes in the standings, the more it is that they need the help that should come from the higher draft choice, as low finishes make impact free agent signings - and possibly trades - tougher to come by.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
No. It's stupid and would be unfair for them. Also who cares if they get the first overall pick? They're just gonna f*** them over

facelessjoe1990

Jul 12, 2012
but it's not a Leafs topic. it doesn't impact the leafs at all.
why not ask this on edmonton's board o the main boards.

but to answer the question no
if they win the lottery they won it. its how the numbers fell

This is the Around the League thread.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Just give all teams even odds and if luck gives the Cup winner 1st. overall they are as deserving as the last place team.

Or change it to a snake draft with a even odds lottery for non-playoffs teams.

I don't care who gets the 1st. overall, although I'd prefer it to be a team in the west in a good draft Buffalo in a bad draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad