Around the League - Deadline Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Travis also has a helmet on, it's a bad look but Wilson is still worse. Lest we forget Wilson was driving the head of Buchnevich into the ice himself. Panarin is helmet-less. If he doesn't turn at the right time as Wilson whips him to the ice his skull is cracked open and God knows what happens after. There's zero chance of that happening with regards to what Crosby was doing to Konecny.

guys wrestle and fight and throw each other down every single fight. Most guys helmets
Come off. Guys used to take their helmets off.

Honestly it’s not the same at all. Everyone who wants Wilson suspended should want crosby.

I can absolutely gaurantee you that in the real world Wilson would have a way better defense. He actually lets up. They square up
And Wilson just pulls him down. He could
Could have caved panarins face in.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Travis also has a helmet on, it's a bad look but Wilson is still worse. Lest we forget Wilson was driving the head of Buchnevich into the ice himself. Panarin is helmet-less. If he doesn't turn at the right time as Wilson whips him to the ice his skull is cracked open and God knows what happens after. There's zero chance of that happening with regards to what Crosby was doing to Konecny.

You're also leaving out that Konecny and Crosby were both on their knees struggling to start themselves, the way you describe it you make it sound like Crosby just climbed on top of him unprovoked and started wailing on him.

Also...
That’s not true at all. Smacking someone’s head against a hard surface, helmet or not is incredibly dangerous to thr head. Can break a neck too.

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
guys wrestle and fight and throw each other down every single fight. Most guys helmets
Come off. Guys used to take their helmets off.

By pulling them by their hair? Wow what a tough macho man move. Last time I checked pulling another guys hair in a fight was a chickenshit move. I also can't recall the last time I saw a hockey fight where a guy took his opponent down by throwing his head first into the ice. Not to mention most fights today helmets stay on and if they do come off the refs break it up immediately, the NHL is clearly moving away from helmet-less fights.

Honestly it’s not the same at all. Everyone who wants Wilson suspended should want crosby

Yeah, Wilson's is worse.

I can absolutely gaurantee you that in the real world Wilson would have a way better defense. He actually lets up. They square up
And Wilson just pulls him down. He could
Could have caved panarins face in.

When? After he throws Panarin down he starts wailing on him, picks him up from the back of the jersey and throws him down again before the refs jump in.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
It's f***ing laughable that a team would call for someone to get fired because they disagreed with a ruling. Shit didn't go your way too f***ing bad.

I disagree with the non-suspension too but FFS.

Can't wait to see what happens next time a Rangers player does something worthy of suspension. Hopefully the Rangers suspend their own player indefinitely

I think the Rangers organization has some balls calling Parros out...good on them...let's just compare what Wilson, a repeat offender, did to Bushnevic and Panarin versus what Kadri as a Leaf did to Debrusk that got him a multi-game suspension in the playoffs - in a game where Kadri got kneed and the Bruins were allowed to cross the line without any consequence...of course the Leafs just remained hush...$5000 fine is a joke for what Wilson did...Joe Thornton got a $3000 fine a couple of weeks ago and it was nowhere near as egregious as what Wilson did.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
By pulling them by their hair? Wow what a tough macho man move. Last time I checked pulling another guys hair in a fight was a chickenshit move. I also can't recall the last time I saw a hockey fight where a guy took his opponent down by throwing his head first into the ice. Not to mention most fights today helmets stay on and if they do come off the refs break it up immediately, the NHL is clearly moving away from helmet-less fights.

Yeah, Wilson's is worse.

When? After he throws Panarin down he starts wailing on him, picks him up from the back of the jersey and throws him down again before the refs jump in.

1.) I think it’s pretty hard to pull someone’s hair with gloves.
2.) being a tough macho man has nothing to do with a suspension. If you want to suspend him under the tough macho man rule. Have at it
3.) Tom Wilson is a beast. He easily could have dropped his gloves and broke his face. He didn’t
he was face to face with him and pulled
Him down. That’s how he let up.

tmlms13

Apr 11, 2012
Waterloo, Ontario
I think the Rangers organization has some balls calling Parros out...good on them...let's just compare what Wilson, a repeat offender, did to Bushnevic and Panarin versus what Kadri as a Leaf did to Debrusk that got him a multi-game suspension in the playoffs - in a game where the Bruins were allowed to cross the line without any consequence...of course the Leafs just remained hush...$5000 fine is a joke for what Wilson did...Joe Thornton got a $3000 fine a couple of weeks ago and it was nowhere near as egregious as what Wilson did.

Calling him out and basically saying he should be fired because we didn't like his ruling are two very different things

Jmo89

Mar 21, 2010
Toronto needs to take care of business themselves, because it looks like Edmonton is going to sweep Vancouver. They'll probably split with the Habs.

I'm warming up to the idea of playing the Jets in round 1. Both Hellybuck and Price can steal games in the playoffs, but Montreal seems to give the Leafs a harder time. Let them go to war with Edmonton. Edmonton seems to match up alot better against Winnipeg.

Reactions: Mitch nylander

Not My Tempo

Feb 22, 2015
Toronto
I think they are implying that he's not doing his job and less about the ruling. He is paid to do a job.

Since Parros took over we’ve seen a steady decline in the number of suspensions, and I really don’t think it’s because players are cleaner now versus 7 years ago.

Reactions: Menzinger

mydnyte

Sep 8, 2004

Since Parros took over we’ve seen a steady decline in the number of suspensions, and I really don’t think it’s because players are cleaner now versus 7 years ago.

maybe Kerfoot can hit someone and get suspended again to bring the number up a little...
he is a mini monster after all. or maybe Parros got upset he couldnt suspend Kadri anymore (not being on the Leafs) and found a new suspend-able Leaf player

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach
For what reason does the league even employ referees? Get off ice officials! The crews we have right now are not calling the game properly nor are they maintaining a safe playing environment. The excuse of maintaining the flow of the game is hogwash considering the league’s implementation of automatic penalties like puck over the glass that were put into effect to stimulate more offence. Then there’s the safety aspect that they fail to meet by not calling blatant penalties and instead picking and choosing what to call and when. They crew have shown us that they are not impartial either and having held grudges against certain players and teams. Their own performance review system is hidden from public scrutiny and the only repercussions we’ve been told about are through a c’mon ref column by Kerry Fraser (they pay an amount of money to a charity of their choosing). I’ll continue saying that the current state of refereeing fosters an unsafe playing environment wherein the product as a whole is negatively impacted and can easily lead to cases of fraud. The NHLPA is being scrutinized by the Rangers and the public but the referees’ association is complicit in this as well.

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada
Side note to the suspension talk, fines are completely meaningless. I feel like they just picked a maximum number that sounds like a lot of money to an average person but is also a completely trivial amount to an average NHL player.

Regardless of the offense and whether it should have been punished more or less:
$5000 fine for Wilson (5.2million AAV, 2million signing bonus this year)
$5000 fine for McDavid earlier this year (13million signing bonus this year 14million total)
$3000 for Thornton earlier this year as well, the guys career earning are 110million (just NHL salary)

Why would they care even a little about being fined?

For me it should be higher and be a percentage, not just a set amount (same for the real world too but that's a whole other thing), big difference in how a $5K fine impacts you when you're Connor McDavid and when you're Adam Brooks.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
THE NEW YORK ISLANDERS LOST AN ACTUAL NATIONAL HOCKEY LEAGUE GAME TO AN ECHL GOALTENDER​

Twice. In a row. With this year's Buffalo in front of that goalie.

Personally, I find that more embarrassing than losing to a Zamboni Driver last year. At least he won behind arguably the best defensive team in the league. Islanders lost to an ECHL guy twice in a row behind one of the worst NHL teams ever.

Ayres only had an .800 against us. We just couldn't get shots on net because Carolina's defense did their jobs against us. It's not like he stonewalled us.

Houser and Buffalo's joke defense stonewalled the Islanders, and they have looked really bad for the past month or so now. It is not looking good for the playoffs when they have to go up against Washington/PIT... Although both have choked the past couple of years in the playoffs so who knows.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Do the Rags have anyone to stand up to Wilson tonight?

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
watching the Oilers vs Canucks, I completely get why people think the North division is garbage and production needs to have an asterisk. Not saying I agree, but I get it. Vancouver is barely a real opponent

Every division has those teams, and ours arguably has the best of the worst. I'd take facing the Californian teams + Arizona, Jersey/Buffalo, and Detroit + CBJ over Ottawa + Vancouver.

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada
I don't believe so.
Why does it matter, NHL showed it doesn't care, Wilson shows the tough guy "code" isn't real, why not grab Backstrom and smash his face in? or why not take out their goalie?

**not advocating for those things, just saying those thoughts are likely going thru at least some Ranger players minds**

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->