Around the League: Capitals and Ovie are Stanley Cup Champions

Status
Not open for further replies.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
https://www.tsn.ca/slight-thaw-in-a...flames-agree-to-talk-with-committee-1.1117505

Can you imagine if the City signed off on that joke proposal ... they'd be paying $1.3 billion dollars so the rich could get their toy in a new location and us suckers paying would get a huge tax hike!

This is playing out exactly as I had said a year ago. Vic Park is a perfect spot for the new arena as it fits already within the development plan of an area that is already growing well, is serviced by 3 LRT lines, and is similar in location to the 'dome so the local business won't be hurt by the Flames moving to a different location.

Much better public benefit in this spot and something that taxpayer money should go toward. Especially if they can incorporate an underground LRT station for the new SE leg in construction.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
This is playing out exactly as I had said a year ago. Vic Park is a perfect spot for the new arena as it fits already within the development plan of an area that is already growing well, is serviced by 3 LRT lines, and is similar in location to the 'dome so the local business won't be hurt by the Flames moving to a different location.

Much better public benefit in this spot and something that taxpayer money should go toward. Especially if they can incorporate an underground LRT station for the new SE leg in construction.

If I'm still here I'd take in more games if a LRT got me there, but right now just too much bother to get to the Dome.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
If I'm still here I'd take in more games if a LRT got me there, but right now just too much bother to get to the Dome.

It is a hassle because it's so busy. A third line would help that a bit.

While I was living there I would park in the East Village since it was free and walkable (10-15 minutes) to the 'dome. Easy to get in and out of the city without having to deal with traffic.

Of course if it's raining/cold it's not as fun. But worth it to not be gouged on parking and being stuck in traffic for an hour.

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere
Ottawa tends to exceed expectations when they're supposed to be crap, and they tend to play below expectations when they come off a good season.

I'm not writing them off for next season just yet. Not with Craig Anderson and Erik Karlsson around and the play they're capable of.

JadedLeaf

Nov 14, 2007
Saskatchewan
Those threads are always a **** show. Used to be Luongo that brought out the worst in both fan bases. Now it's Tanev.
It's clearly a two way street though. Not blaming canucks fans. One was going over the top but there was a few Leaf fans in there making sure it kept going before mods sterilized that whole thread.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008

If Karlsson is traded there's 0% chance he's getting traded for what he's worth. Sens already chose to keep this years 1st rounder right?...

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
Tanev thread in the trade forums is going off the rails pretty hard. One canucks fan might actually be having a breakdown.

They know that the trade's going to be a loser for them. It must be tough being a fan of that brutally run team.

JadedLeaf

Nov 14, 2007
Saskatchewan

If Karlsson is traded there's 0% chance he's getting traded for what he's worth. Sens already chose to keep this years 1st rounder right?...

I feel bad for a few fans but outside of that I'm loving the front office fiasco that's happening over there. I do legitimately feel terrible that they have Melnyk as an owner. My junior team went through a very similar situation. Sucks as a fan but they sold the team to local owners as well as Bergeron and Couturier and they just won the mem cup this year so I'm a believer in new ownership making a difference.

JadedLeaf

Nov 14, 2007
Saskatchewan
They know that the trade's going to be a loser for them. It must be tough being a fan of that brutally run team.
Never mind Benning though in this case, they'll get 50 cents on the dollar for him just because of his injuries. Honestly that would be a tough hand to play with for any GM.

Benning is terrible though. lol

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
Never mind Benning though in this case, they'll get 50 cents on the dollar for him just because of his injuries. Honestly that would be a tough hand to play with for any GM.

Benning is terrible though. lol

I think he could have gotten a very decent offer for Tanev a year ago. I remember reading a rumour out of Vancouver that Toronto offered a 1st round pick + a bunch of other assets.

Actually, I think a smart GM would have made the decision to trade him two years ago.

JadedLeaf

Nov 14, 2007
Saskatchewan
I think he could have gotten a very decent offer for Tanev a year ago. I remember reading a rumour out of Vancouver that Toronto offered a 1st round pick + a bunch of other assets.

Actually, I think a smart GM would have made the decision to trade him two years ago.
Yeah you're right, he really should have traded him last season in hind site. They had no need for him last season and wont for a while yet. Bad gamble.

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010

I remember last off season on these boards prior to the draft offering our 2017 1st + kap + Carrick and the Vancouver fans being insistent on Nylander/Marner.
At this point in time they won’t get a single asset as good as either 17th or Kapanen let alone two plus a replacement level guy in Carrick.
It’s more than likely a pair of seconds and a guy like Nielsen Borgman or Brooks

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto

Good for the Islanders. Wonder if that has any bearing on Tavares' decision.

I'd think Trotz signing on would have more impact than Lou joining the organization - Trotz would have a much more hands-on relationship with Tavares, and would likely be around longer term than Lou anyway.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

Good for the Islanders. Wonder if that has any bearing on Tavares' decision.

Lou Lam is adding instant credibility and Trotz will solidify the coaching position and that likely is huge in getting JT to commit long-term.

Lou Lam and Trotz bring Cup resumes and Tavares wants a Cup.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
Lou Lam is adding instant credibility and Trotz will solidify the coaching position and that likely is huge in getting JT to commit long-term.

Lou Lam and Trotz bring Cup resumes and Tavares wants a Cup.
Looking at the rest of the roster doesn't leave much optimism. If Tavares truly wants to win a cup he's got a couple better options for that.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Looking at the rest of the roster doesn't leave much optimism. If Tavares truly wants to win a cup he's got a couple better options for that.

Once Lou Lam trades one of NYI's 1st for Philipp Grubauer as a NYI starting goalie. Trotz goalie he knows and trusts and even started the playoffs with. ;)

Top 5 Forwards and 2 Dmen points

Barzal 85 points
Tavares 84 points
Josh Bailey 71 points
Anders Lee 40 goals 62 points
Eberle 59 points
+
Nick Leddy 42 points
Ryan Pullock 32 points

NYI = 435 points

Marner 69 points
Matthews 63 points