Around the League - PLAYOFFS!?

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Crosby had every opportunity to allow a trade to a contender. Staying with the Pens only prolongs fans suffering. Enjoy.

He had a great year.

Jake Guentzel was traded to the Carolina Hurricanes by the Pittsburgh Penguins on Thursday for forward Michael Bunting, forward prospects Vasily Ponomarev and Ville Koivunen, the rights to forward Cruz Lucius, a conditional first-round pick in the 2024 NHL Draft, and a conditional fifth-round pick in the 2024 draft.

Koivunen's stats look good in the SM-Liiga.

Cruz Lucius leading scorer Wisconsin at 19 years of age.

Penguins get a 2nd. rounder, I doubt 'Canes are going to the Finals to turn it into a 1st.

Crosby might not be happy, but the team has to look beyond Crosby.

Reactions: uncleben

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
Their best before date was several years ago.

This wasn't a 2 year hire for the Penguins, everyone knew where they were at.
It certainly has to sting though when you double down for "one last run", and you have Karlsson look and play hardly like anything they expected, are blessed to have both Crosby and Malkin play all 82 games in their mid to late 30s, Crosby having a MVP-type season putting up 94 points, all to be on the outside looking in yet again. They blew it.

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
It certainly has to sting though when you double down for "one last run", and you have Karlsson look and play hardly like anything they expected, are blessed to have both Crosby and Malkin play all 82 games in their mid to late 30s, Crosby having a MVP-type season putting up 94 points, all to be on the outside looking in yet again. They blew it.
Pit fans for the most part were happy with Karlsson. They thought he was way better in his own end that previously assumed.

The PP did Pit in. They played better hockey all year than Det and Was, even the Islanders but were just so bad on the PP.

Going to be very difficult for Crosby to play at such a high level next year.

Tough choices ahead

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Pens have had Malkin and Crosby play all 82 games in b2b seasons. Actually crazy at their age considering their injury history, especially Malkin. Was the 4th time Malkin played 82 games in a year.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

I was not expecting a MVP Karlsson, one year blip isn't who he is it it who he was.

Letang is 3 years older, on a 35+ for a year longer than Karlsson. I recognize the salary difference is a factor.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
I was not expecting a MVP Karlsson, one year blip isn't who he is it it who he was.

Letang is 3 years older, on a 35+ for a year longer than Karlsson. I recognize the salary difference is a factor.
Karlsson had half as many points this year playing alongside Crosby and Malkin than he did on a horrific Sharks team. Their PP also was 3rd worst in the league this season. He was supposed to help there, but didn't.

Karlsson is definitely not the cause or the root problem of the team's struggles. But it's still a trade I don't think the Pens of all teams should have made.

Reactions: William Johnson

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
28 years, and never once turned a profit. A Gary Bettman Special.
One of the best examples of why good ownership is critical. That said, Bettman's legacy is going to be an absolutely massive increase in value of NHL franchises during his tenure. Bill Daly can only hope to ride the same way when he takes over the job.

• Haha
Reactions: HolyCrap

MCR74

Nov 11, 2022
Karlsson had half as many points this year playing alongside Crosby and Malkin than he did on a horrific Sharks team. Their PP also was 3rd worst in the league this season. He was supposed to help there, but didn't.

Karlsson is definitely not the cause or the root problem of the team's struggles. But it's still a trade I don't think the Pens of all teams should have made.

And the Pens are stuck with him for the next few years. You hate to see it.

Reactions: BallardEra

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Utah has a flat 4.85 percent individual income tax rate.
Arizona has a flat 2.50 percent individual income tax.
rut roh, players, like everyone else hate paying more taxes.........

I'd imagine there's a number of players who aren't particularly pleased about the idea, especially those signed on longer deals. Between the taxes, the massive difference in weather among other things
Utah winters aren't the worse, they're definitely not Quebec city type winters.........

Last edited:
Reactions: Menzinger

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Going to be an interesting transition.
One good thing for the Coyotes / LatterDaySkates is most the defense are RFA, no leverage. But I have to guess some are a year away from UFA.

Young and no families?

View attachment 854403
I'm sensing Utah will be the bridge capital of the NHL this coming year.............

For multiple reasons.
anyone who's married has questioned the sanity of the Mormon's idea of multiple wives, I only put my hand on the hot stove once thank you very much...........

Reactions: HolyCrap and Jojalu

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Oilers out of town thread is an embarrassment. The hate for Matthews is unreal.

Don’t think that place is moderated and that kind of talk encouraged.

Jesus is lord. Who are these people!
Just took a peak. Its honestly so sad lmao. I couldnt imagine actively cheering against players hitting big milestones. Its so childish and pathetic, but I'm sure they will tell you they for SURE do not care about the Leafs or are bothered by them.

Meanwhile check this thread when McDavid was playing on Monday. Just crickets about him.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
I'd imagine there's a number of players who aren't particularly pleased about the idea, especially those signed on longer deals. Between the taxes, the massive difference in weather among other things
I don't think you're signing in Arizona for stability or longevity

barilko05

NHL FAN
Jan 28, 2011
Just took a peak. Its honestly so sad lmao. I couldnt imagine actively cheering against players hitting big milestones. Its so childish and pathetic, but I'm sure they will tell you they for SURE do not care about the Leafs or are bothered by them.

Meanwhile check this thread when McDavid was playing on Monday. Just crickets about him.
Yeah, just took a peek myself. Man, what a toxic waste dump of butt-hurt basement dwellers...not the team... the fans...who obviously still live in Mom's basement. Some racial epithets thrown in for good measure as well. Stay classy, Oil Fans. Can't wait to read the comments when McJesus finally throws up his hands and bolts for home! And unlike Leaf haters assuming Papi would run back to the desert at his first opportunity...there's not much chance of this team pulling up stakes and leaving, so it is a REAL possibility, not a revenge fantasy.

Reactions: torontoblood

barilko05

NHL FAN
Jan 28, 2011
Not sure if this is already the case, but the all the pre-Arizona team records should revert back to the current Jets franchise. ie...Teemu Selanne's 76 goals. And the current Jets/Coyotes "honoured" numbers (7, 10, and 27 - Hawerchuk, Tkachuk, and Numminen) should be retired by the Jets, along with the current #s of Bobby Hull and Thomas Steen, and not included as part of the move to SLC. Shane Doan? All theirs. Nothing against Salt Lake, but they can have the Yotes records. The Jets stuff? Lets put it back where it belongs. If the franchise had come back with a different name, it would be different. But the owners chose to honour the legacy of the name to the city. I think that's important. Oh...and the Thrashers records can just stand on their own.

Reactions: Brown Dog

BallardEra

Leafs&Caps Since 1982™
Dec 26, 2017
East York, Ontario
Pens have had Malkin and Crosby play all 82 games in b2b seasons. Actually crazy at their age considering their injury history, especially Malkin. Was the 4th time Malkin played 82 games in a year.
Letang turns 37 next week, Crosby will be 37 next season and Malkin will be 38.

They’re done.

Will be interesting to see if Dubas makes some panic moves this summer.

MCR74

Nov 11, 2022
Yeah, just took a peek myself. Man, what a toxic waste dump of butt-hurt basement dwellers...not the team... the fans...who obviously still live in Mom's basement. Some racial epithets thrown in for good measure as well. Stay classy, Oil Fans. Can't wait to read the comments when McJesus finally throws up his hands and bolts for home! And unlike Leaf haters assuming Papi would run back to the desert at his first opportunity...there's not much chance of this team pulling up stakes and leaving, so it is a REAL possibility, not a revenge fantasy.

Those idiots care more about hating the Leafs than cheering on their own team. Pathethic to say the least. But they have McDavid so...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad