Around the League 22: But how will it work next season?

Status
Not open for further replies.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
To be fair he almost pulled it off - with notably less time and space than the Svech’s. Hard to call that a fail, it was instinctive and really fast. With Svech you could see him lining it up, here he’s already at the side of the net and popping up a loose puck. A pretty sweet attempt.

Reactions: DaveG and cptjeff

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
IMG_20201125_125529.jpg

When L&M bring back the Isles HOF he belongs in it for being a key part in helping bring the team back to respectability.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
Is there such thing as a good day for the crazy, mouth-breathing main boarders?

Fair point, however, they got to have their fun dreaming about Tampa and NYI paying 1sts plus to deal not-so-bad contracts or losing Cirelli, Barzal, and Sergachev to offer sheets from their favorite clubs. Watching that narrative collapse like a house of cards is delicious. Unlike what the conventional wisdom is on HF, flat caps are almost always beneficial to incumbent clubs with set cores, because without the cap space, the RFA market constricts in the same way that the UFA markets do. Sure, they lose a veteran or two to cap dumping, but in the end, that happens every year. What's actually dangerous to dynasties is a steadily, but not quickly, increasing cap. That makes cap floor clubs WAY more brazen to do idiotic pacts with RFAs that distort the market.

Last edited:

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Offer sheets are useless. They never happen and they never work. We still have no real idea why ours happened with Aho. Why anyone on the main board thinks they’re going to steal a great young player for cheap is beyond me. You’d do what you have to do so Johnson or someone like that moves on before you’d lose a Cirelli or Sergachev to an offer sheet.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
Offer sheets are useless. They never happen and they never work. We still have no real idea why ours happened with Aho. Why anyone on the main board thinks they’re going to steal a great young player for cheap is beyond me. You’d do what you have to do so Johnson or someone like that moves on before you’d lose a Cirelli or Sergachev to an offer sheet.

It only worked one time in the last 12 years, and it was for a gross overpayment of Dustin Penner. It goes to show how far and dumb that you have to go to poach a player as an RFA. Even that ridiculous Shea Weber contract (front-load, cap circumvention trickery, and all) wasn't absurd enough for Nashville not to match.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
A reminder why offer sheets almost never happen: In the late 2000's the Oilers gave an offer sheet to Thomas Vanek that the Sabres eventually matched. If they had done so they would've given us 4 firsts, thus it can be argued that matching the offer sheet was an even bigger mistake than the ROR trade.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
A reminder why offer sheets almost never happen: In the late 2000's the Oilers gave an offer sheet to Thomas Vanek that the Sabres eventually matched. If they had done so they would've given us 4 firsts, thus it can be argued that matching the offer sheet was an even bigger mistake than the ROR trade.

A huge reason why offer sheets are ineffective is because of the pick compensation rules. No smart GM is going to sacrifice so many 1st round picks when they're (likely) not that good yet.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
They benefit the players. It helps gets them the contract that they wanted. I’m sure if Montreal didn’t step in, we’re holding strong on trying to lock Aho up for 7-8 years, not 5.
I just love how that offer sheet was essentially the scene in Austin Powers where Dr Evil holds the world ransom and demands "One Milllllion Dollars!"

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006

Well, we have an idea, but we'll never know for sure. What we do know.

1) Waddell / Dundon wanted a longer term deal 7-8 years. Aho wanted a shorter term deal.
2) It was reported that Aho's agent was at around $9M-$9.5M, Waddell/Dundon were at $7.5
3) Waddell commented that they expected the negotiations to last long into the off-season.
4) The general hockey community thought the Canes would have trouble swallowing a large signing bonus contract structure.

Those things we know to be certain, or at least mostly true. Given all that, I think Aho and his agent decided that they didn't want an 7-8 year deal and weren't going to let it drag out through the summer, so they used an offer-sheet to get it done asap, at terms to their liking. It was a negotiation tactic with a very slight chance the Canes wouldn't match.

As for why MTL did it? They probably figured why not give it a try (they tried Point also if you recall but Point wouldn't sign it) as it was a cheap way to get young talent. The agent convinced MTL that if it was a contract was a lot of guaranteed, upfront money, the Canes might balk so there was a chance he could end up with Aho and not give up a ton of picks.

I don't think it was any more complicated than that.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
The offer sheet to ROR was an even bigger joke. The fact that Feaster offered that without realizing the league rule that he would have had to clear waivers to return because he played in the KHL that season and clearly wasn't on Calgary's reserve list is only topped by whoever the Colorado GM was at the time matching the offer considering they were dead f***ing last at the time, therefore not receiving the pick compensation for a guy they would have instantly claimed with first shot at waivers anyway had they wanted to.

Last edited:

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY

1) Waddell / Dundon wanted a longer term deal 7-8 years. Aho wanted a shorter term deal.
2) It was reported that Aho's agent was at around $9M-$9.5M, Waddell/Dundon were at $7.5
3) Waddell commented that they expected the negotiations to last long into the off-season.
4) The general hockey community thought the Canes would have trouble swallowing a large signing bonus contract structure.

Those things we know to be certain, or at least mostly true. Given all that, I think Aho and his agent decided that they didn't want an 7-8 year deal and weren't going to let it drag out through the summer, so they used an offer-sheet to get it done asap, at terms to their liking. It was a negotiation tactic with a very slight chance the Canes wouldn't match.

As for why MTL did it? They probably figured why not give it a try (they tried Point also if you recall but Point wouldn't sign it) as it was a cheap way to get young talent. The agent convinced MTL that if it was a contract was a lot of guaranteed, upfront money, the Canes might balk so there was a chance he could end up with Aho and not give up a ton of picks.

The other hilarious part of this was Dundon and the team openly laughing about how they would easily match it but waiting until the last minute because until they did the Habs had to account for that money on their cap and couldn't make any moves until it was matched.

Reactions: cptjeff and DaveG

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site

So like you/I said....we don’t know. :sarcasm:

We all know the possible reasons. That was my point, we don’t really know what happened. It’s a weird example of an offer sheet.

Reactions: DaveG

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
So like you/I said....we don’t know. :sarcasm:

We all know the possible reasons. That was my point, we don’t really know what happened. It’s a weird example of an offer sheet.

I see it a little differently. We know the “likely” reason, and based on info available, I don’t see many/any other possible reasons that make any logical sense. so I think we have a pretty good idea what happened and why. It’s not much of a mystery in my eyes.

Reactions: Navin R Slavin

Lempo

Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Remember the corona map from two weeks back with Finland alone partially on the green? Yeah that's all past now. Liiga is facing a near-certain cessation with most of the teams already postponing games due to corona situation heating up and with only two arenas left that are not subject to mandatory audience restrictions. Liiga teams won't be playing without audience.

The currently expected cessation is to be probably until the end of the year, but it is obviously subject to change.

Lempo

Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
As expected, Liiga announced today that they are on hiatus until Dec 19.

The expectation is to still play a full season, and the cancelled games will be rescheduled. Pending on whether or the WCH tournament will take place (in April-May), they might stretch the season to May. The WCH situation is a political mess, as the tournament was to be in Belarus, which is currently in political turmoil (both domestic and foreign) in the aftermath of the presidential election.

I would expect the NHL teams to speedily repatriate their loaned players, and be very worried of the NHL season start if they won't.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
Remember the corona map from two weeks back with Finland alone partially on the green? Yeah that's all past now. Liiga is facing a near-certain cessation with most of the teams already postponing games due to corona situation heating up and with only two arenas left that are not subject to mandatory audience restrictions. Liiga teams won't be playing without audience.

The currently expected cessation is to be probably until the end of the year, but it is obviously subject to change.

Did Sweden invade again?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->