GDT: Around the League 2023-24 Volume 4: Stretch Drive Edition

Oilers finish:

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
so? the Oilers barely squeaked by them 2022 without Doughty or Advidsson and the Corpse of Jon Quick in net
last year they needed a miracle in game 4 cause they were dumb as rocks in Games 1 and 3, despite coming into the playoffs in an all-time heater

if anything, the Oilers make mediocre goalies look great in the playoffs...see: Korpisalo last year

The Oilers lit Korpisalo up last year, I have no idea what you’re talking about.

Oilers won both series, the Kings didn’t, and this is probably the worst version of the Kings yet. Everything else there isn’t really relevant.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
so? the Oilers barely squeaked by them 2022 without Doughty or Advidsson and the Corpse of Jon Quick in net
last year they needed a miracle in game 4 cause they were dumb as rocks in Games 1 and 3, despite coming into the playoffs in an all-time heater

if anything, the Oilers make mediocre goalies look great in the playoffs...see: Korpisalo last year

I still would take the Oilers beating themselves with stuff like overpassing and being scared to light up a backup goalie, over a team with lots of high end talent systematically breaking down our system like Vegas did, with our D too dumb to figure out what was happening. Plus the league stepping in to totally screw us over.

Things we can control, vs things we can't.

If we can't beat this Kings team, we really don't deserve to even get a sniff at the cup.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
I still would take the Oilers beating themselves with stuff like overpassing and being scared to light up a backup goalie, over a team with lots of high end talent systematically breaking down our system like Vegas did, with our D too dumb to figure out what was happening. Plus the league stepping in to totally screw us over.

Things we can control, vs things we can't.

If we can't beat this Kings team, we really don't deserve to even get a sniff at the cup.
I think they'd be more motivated to slay the dragon in Vegas...I think beating them would've done wonders for their confidence psychologically
IMO they've taken the Kings lightly over the past few years and it's burned them

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
No path is easy. Bring on the Kings. Can't stand Dallas and Vegas so I hope those two teams tear each other apart.

I'm actually cheering for all Canadian teams to get through to the second round... even the Leafs as long as I don't watch them or listen to the media hype train around them. Time to see how much resiliency and hard lessons have stuck with the Oil's team. McDavid will be fired out of a cannon so follow your leader boys. It's go time.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
No path is easy. Bring on the Kings. Can't stand Dallas and Vegas so I hope those two teams tear each other apart.

I'm actually cheering for all Canadian teams to get through to the second round... even the Leafs as long as I don't watch them or listen to the media hype train around them. Time to see how much resiliency and hard lessons have stuck with the Oil's team. McDavid will be fired out of a cannon so follow your leader boys. It's go time.

200w.gif

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
I think they'd be more motivated to slay the dragon in Vegas...I think beating them would've done wonders for their confidence psychologically
IMO they've taken the Kings lightly over the past few years and it's burned them
Yah this is what I was thinking. Mind you letting someone else slay the dragon might not be a bad thing either.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Talbot's PTSD might have been part of why they almost dropped that game
Gawd he was awful. Let in 3 shots in a row. Really any shot was going in, any play was going. Hawks only had 3 shots in 2nd and were charitably credited with 6 in 3rd period. Basically any time they were establishing in Kings end they were scoring on Talbot.

Mixed reaction on the Kings bench when Arviddsson scores to tie the game with a minute left. Pick your poison style. What a weird and not wonderful end to the season.

I don't mind Vegas going to Death Penalty Dallas Texas though. Probably two series I end up watching. Oilers of course, and the Dallas series. Maybe if I'm bored the AV's-Jets series.

Dammit that Canucks end up with Nashville. Really the easiest opponent. Dallas finishes first in Conference and their prize is SC champs. Kind of sucks.

Been double or triple quoted. No time to change posts now. lol

Canada is broke. Even as a concept. f*** the East. f*** Toronto. Screw the Nucks. Actually I don't hate Winnipeg Jets, they only get my vote because they're playing the AV's.

Reactions: TB12 and Oilhawks

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Haha. Love it! I want another shot at the Canucks. Don't mind Winnipeg and another shot at them would be just fine. Can't stand the Leafs but don't really like any Eastern team notably Florida ones, Boston, and Rangers. An all Canada Stanley Cup would be the ultimate poke in the eye to league decision makers who bend over to pander to their 'Merican broadcast and corporate partners. Beating Toronto would be soooo sweet.

I'm fatigued of Cap cheats and suntan Cup champions. Bring the Cup home (and I'll hold my nose). That would be pretty, pretty, pretty, pretty, pretty good! ;)

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Gawd he was awful. Let in 3 shots in a row. Really any shot was going in, any play was going. Hawks only had 3 shots in 2nd and were charitably credited with 6 in 3rd period. Basically any time they were establishing in Kings end they were scoring on Talbot.

Mixed reaction on the Kings bench when Arviddsson scores to tie the game with a minute left. Pick your poison style. What a weird and not wonderful end to the season.

I don't mind Vegas going to Death Penalty Dallas Texas though. Probably two series I end up watching. Oilers of course, and the Dallas series. Maybe if I'm bored the AV's-Jets series.

Dammit that Canucks end up with Nashville. Really the easiest opponent. Dallas finishes first in Conference and their prize is SC champs. Kind of sucks.

I'd love to see Perry get under his skin again, for old time's sake. Not sure if he'll have to, but it couldn't hurt.

It was interesting to see them almost try to hide the reaction, it's a weird game for anyone to play.

I'll watch every bit I can of the Vegas - Dallas series, unfortunately they both will be on about the same time (guess between periods). Avs - Jets could be interesting

Bolded is my biggest disappointment of the playoffs. Like you said, imagine being Dallas and being "rewarded" with Vegas while the Cansucks get gifted the easiest Western team while being mediocre the second half. (The Oilers not taking a game or two from them in the season series are really the Santa Claus here, unfortunately). I'm hoping Nashville at least makes a series of it, if not an actual upset.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta

Been double or triple quoted. No time to change posts now. lol

Canada is broke. Even as a concept. f*** the East. f*** Toronto. Screw the Nucks. Actually I don't hate Winnipeg Jets, they only get my vote because they're playing the AV's.
I don't think Nashville is nearly as bad as people are making them out to be. They're 6th in xgoal% 5v5, and similar to Edmonton had a terrible start to the season. They're big and physical and can play tight shutdown hockey. They have a goalie who is capable of outplaying Demko. I could easily see them upsetting Vancouver.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I'd love to see Perry get under his skin again, for old time's sake. Not sure if he'll have to, but it couldn't hurt.

It was interesting to see them almost try to hide the reaction, it's a weird game for anyone to play.

I'll watch every bit I can of the Vegas - Dallas series, unfortunately they both will be on about the same time (guess between periods). Avs - Jets could be interesting

Bolded is my biggest disappointment of the playoffs. Like you said, imagine being Dallas and being "rewarded" with Vegas while the Cansucks get gifted the easiest Western team while being mediocre the second half. (The Oilers not taking a game or two from them in the season series are really the Santa Claus here, unfortunately). I'm hoping Nashville at least makes a series of it, if not an actual upset.
You gotta hope but Preds havenlt done anything in playoffs for awhile and really aren't much of a club. Don't know how they were winning. Mind you whenever they do I can't figure that club out. Especially minus Ekholm. Nucks vs Preds will probably be least talented series in playoffs. Both one legit line and the rest hopes and PDO. You couldn't pay me to watch that series. Preds probably do just enough to lose.

I don't think Nashville is nearly as bad as people are making them out to be. They're 6th in xgoal% 5v5, and similar to Edmonton had a terrible start to the season. They're big and physical and can play tight shutdown hockey. They have a goalie who is capable of outplaying Demko. I could easily see them upsetting Vancouver.
We all hope you're right. Amen. Hail mary, all that. ;)

If preds win I promise to say nice things about them. haha

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
I do get what you mean. I think if it was a team like the Jets or Canucks or Nashville or some other team like that that beat us last year, I'd be excited to see the Oilers smoke them back to kick off a run. I just can't shake the idea that we are playing against more than Vegas in a series with them. The Oilers are expendable vs the benefits the league sees for Vegas to go on a playoff run. We will get the short end of everything again and they are too good a team IMO to risk having to deal with this clown league at the same time.

Maybe I'm being a conspiracy theorists and I'm way off, but just the way I view this league.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
The Oilers lit Korpisalo up last year, I have no idea what you’re talking about.

Oilers won both series, the Kings didn’t, and this is probably the worst version of the Kings yet. Everything else there isn’t really relevant.
Korpisalo was extremely good for like 3 games and then the Oilers realized they had to aim for the top half of the net.

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
I don't know why people are so worried about LA. This couldn't have worked out any better. We play a team with weak goaltending and less depth than we faced the last 2 years. Then Vegas gets to go through Dallas/Winnipeg/Colorado before us, and they will have their asses handed to them. I have a very good feeling about this year's playoffs. I don't think anyone should be so worried or skeptical about this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille