NHL Around the League: 2021 VII - The Chase For Lord Stanley's Cup

Status
Not open for further replies.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
As I’ve gotten older the primary change in my sports following is less about not having the hatred I’ve had for teams and more about not having the time or energy to know the leagues as well as I used to.

I’m sure I’m not alone in saying that the 22 year old me could name the starting lineup of all MLB teams, more than 1/2 the rosters of every NHL and NBA team and the 15 or so notable players on every NFL team.

Not the case any longer...by a mile.
Yep. I'm not even that old, but it's just impossible these days. I used to know everything happening in all four major sports leagues and now I can barely keep up with my own teams. Especially since I moved out of New England and into a non-cooperative time zone. I only watched less than a handful of full games this year. I get bits and pieces of Bruins games and Sox games if I'm home early enough, otherwise I follow box scores. And honestly I haven't followed the Celtics one bit, I just don't have the energy to follow 3 teams at once, and basketball is by far my least favorite of the three sports.

That's the real reason why the NFL is more popular than every other sport. It's not about baseball needing to appeal to young people or urban demographics or whatever. It's just simple math. I can plan around following the Pats for 3 hours on 17 Sundays in the fall. Easy. I love baseball as a sport, but I don't get out of work until 5:30 PST when games are already in the 4th inning. Mid-week Bruins games are in the late 2nd period by the time I'm done. And then I have to go to the gym or run errands or whetever. How am I supposed to watch 82 or 162 games of a season? I just can't do it anymore. Doesn't mean football is a better sport than baseball, it's just more manageable.

Reactions: sarge88

CharaBadSenyshynGawd

Jun 18, 2017
5-4 Tampa/Florida, wow.

The state of Florida should consider sacrificing both goalies at city center. Maybe just a tar/feather if you want to let them off easy.

you simply can’t let them off the hook for a game like that. Bad teammates!

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
5-4 Tampa/Florida, wow.

The state of Florida should consider sacrificing both goalies at city center. Maybe just a tar/feather if you want to let them off easy.

you simply can’t let them off the hook for a game like that. Bad teammates!

Vasilevskiy will be fine. Bobrovsky is the main reason why the Panthers for all their talent and moxie have almost no chance of winning this series. His best is very good, but he's inconsistent and lets in a ridiculous number of soft goals for a supposed no. 1 goalie due to his poor positioning. Florida would have better odds giving the in-form Driedger a shot and hoping he gets hot.

Reactions: inactive user

DiggityDog

2 Minutes for Ruffing
Nov 2, 2019
NBC announcers have made it blatantly obvious who they want to win in each series so far.

What happened to neutrality when on national TV?
You will never see it again. I haven’t watched an NBC game in years that I didn’t mute.

I would honesty pay for a service to watch games with just heightened sounds of the arena like fans, shots, board sounds, etc.

Babajingo

You will never see it again. I haven’t watched an NBC game in years that I didn’t mute.

I would honesty pay for a service to watch games with just heightened sounds of the arena like fans, shots, board sounds, etc.

The broadcast is part of the product now. They are basically the marketing department for the NHL. Whether its right or wrong (the league does pay alot of money to the networks), its the way it is now. Pretty sad.

Good idea about the arena sounds.

RoccoF14

Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
Vasilevskiy will be fine. Bobrovsky is the main reason why the Panthers for all their talent and moxie have almost no chance of winning this series. His best is very good, but he's inconsistent and lets in a ridiculous number of soft goals for a supposed no. 1 goalie due to his poor positioning. Florida would have better odds giving the in-form Driedger a shot and hoping he gets hot.
Florida can easily win this series if they stop taking stupid penalties.....regardless of how Bobrovsky plays. That penalty that Bennett took was inexcusable. Especially with a 1 goal lead in the 3rd period.

Quenneville has no issues pulling a #1 goalie in the playoffs if they aren't performing, and Driedger is more than adequate to step in.

mikelvl

Aug 6, 2009
Newton, MA
I hate Tampa with the strength of a thousand suns. Between the screaming yahoo radio announcer, and that dirty, miserable cap circumventing turd, Kucherov, I have no use for that team.

Reactions: SPB2776 and BMC

DiggityDog

2 Minutes for Ruffing
Nov 2, 2019
i can't recall ever liking a national broadcast in any sport
For me I like certain guys who call games. Mostly in the NFL though. I think Romo does a good job, Al Michaels is an all timer.

Locally I love when they have Eck call games with Remy. Eck is my favorite color guy as far as local guys go. Gorman is my favorite play by play.

duffy

Feb 12, 2006
Sam Bennett cost the Panthers that game by taking a stupid penalty late in the game with his team leading by a goal.
Funny how he is getting a hearing for a hit that Coleman got right back up and didn't miss a shift! Wilson puts Carlo out for 3 plus months and WWFs 2 Ranger players in one shift and has to have Bettman step in to even get a 7 game suspension. The top NHL talking heads are wondering why the league is becoming a laughingstock when Player Safety and the officiating is a inconsistent JOKE!

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Anyone who still thinks the object of the salary cap was parity needs to look no further than Kucherov returning here right before the playoffs.

It was NEVER about parity. Because if it was, they'd enforce the salary cap restrictions in the playoffs.

So if you want to be mad about Kucherov and TB's cap circumvention then fine. But reality is the salary cap is all about cost certainty, not parity.

Reactions: SPB2776

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX

And a mic'ed rink so you could hear some of the chirps and stuff. I'd do it.

Reactions: BTO and Grimey
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad