Around The League - 2021 offseason part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Julien Brisebois is a capologiste and he’s playing with the system like he conceived it.

Good for them!
Having Seabrook’s contract for three years isn’t exactly a treat, there’s a reason we got a 2nd to take one year of the Savard contract of Florida’s hands. They can fiddle with the roster this off-season to try to maximize the LTIR relief, but a lot of people seem to think they getting more from the Seabrook contract then they are. Being capped out prevents teams from accruing cap space which means no TDL unless you have an injured players on the LTIR. Granted Tampa can just wait for the almost inevitable annual Stamkos injury but if that doesn’t happen they don’t get stuff.

Adding Seabrook was about reducing the cost of dumping Johnson. Chicago must be thrilled to dump that without having to pay someone for it with assets. (Seabrook has a buyout proof contract and Johnson doesn’t.). Also, there are almost no centers on the market which likely made Chicago a little more open to TJ.

On that note, I have greatly reduced my 3C hopes, a bunch of teams are looking for one and everyone is repeating the same few names. I knew Danault was going to be in demand but, damn, Nick Bonino is going to get paid (going by how many Athletic articles mention him as a possible UFA target for various teams).

Reactions: Alex NJD and Oneiro

Capt Nico Poo

Holik to HHOF
Nov 7, 2009
Finland
Ive got a diehard Blues fan as a friend who has been lately ejaculating over the acquisition of Buchnevits.

I am thinking of proposing a wager with him that Jack Hughes will produce more points during next regular season than Buchnevits. Wonder how much do I dare to wager :laugh: $20 perhaps?

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
Ive got a diehard Blues fan as a friend who has been lately ejaculating over the acquisition of Buchnevits.

I am thinking of proposing a wager with him that Jack Hughes will produce more points during next regular season than Buchnevits. Wonder how much do I dare to wager :laugh: $20 perhaps?

I wouldn't feel comfortable betting on that, but I wouldn't be surprised. How Jack does really depends on what the team looks like next season. Make the bet later on in the offseason.

Reactions: Capt Nico Poo

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
The "cap space is important" thing would make sense if a team suddenly had to ship out a guy like Hedman or someone of that caliber cuz of no cap space, but that hasn't happened yet. Teams have constantly been able to ship out spare parts. I'm not worried at all.

me neither I’m team spend get better. People will read that as give anyone a long contract but that’s not what I’m saying. Pay to get legit talent here now

Reactions: Buck Dancer

Capt Nico Poo

Holik to HHOF
Nov 7, 2009
Finland
I wouldn't feel comfortable betting on that, but I wouldn't be surprised. How Jack does really depends on what the team looks like next season. Make the bet later on in the offseason.

Its 99% for the lols but still, i dont think its impossible even if both stay healthy. Clearly the odds are not on my side. Perhaps ill lower the bet to $10 or some other nominal amount and ill just hope I win so i can shove it in his face for a year or two :laugh:

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
me neither I’m team spend get better. People will read that as give anyone a long contract but that’s not what I’m saying. Pay to get legit talent here now

Yea I really would like to get some veteran bottom 6 guys on short terms contracts (3-4 years) until our top 6 mature but it doesn't look like there will be opportunity for that. Teams are overvaluing the grinders all of a sudden and overpaying like crazy :laugh:

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
Its 99% for the lols but still, i dont think its impossible even if both stay healthy. Clearly the odds are not on my side. Perhaps ill lower the bet to $10 or some other nominal amount and ill just hope I win so i can shove it in his face for a year or two :laugh:

If the Devils add a 20g wing by trade or Free Agency and a PP type Defenseman, you better up that bet. Jacks numbers will skyrocket IMO.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
The "cap space is important" thing would make sense if a team suddenly had to ship out a guy like Hedman or someone of that caliber cuz of no cap space, but that hasn't happened yet. Teams have constantly been able to ship out spare parts. I'm not worried at all.
Cap issues don’t real until Tampa doesn’t lose it’s most valuable player? That’s kind of a ridiculous expectation, I consider cap space an issue when you can’t sign needed players and lose depth.

People keep using Tampa as an generic example despite 1) their insane forward depth 2) their ludicrous number of elite players 3) their having several players on great contracts, Hedman at 7.875m for four more years being one of them 4) a goalie who makes 9.5m but actually deserves it.

Despite all that Tampa does have a flaws. They paid all their random forwards too much and that left without any defensive depth (and they can’t sign much). And those RFA bridge deals are ending soon and those players need bigger deals or need to be moved.

Their biggest advantage is having a bunch of elite players and depth. And BriseBois will have future cap issues to solve every off-season.

Cap issues aren’t the bubonic plague, the point is GMs continually deal with them. People point to examples like Chicago trading away significant players and screwing up their cup window or Vancouver’s cap mess and missteps which is Pejorative Sluring future success. Lou had plenty of cap issues with the Devils and gave up Toews, then Leddy, and now the Isles have a gaping hole on the left side of their defense that’s a real problem.

I understand if some (most?) fans find discussing cap space boring but it’s definitely important. It literally can decide what players take the ice each season. I’m sure Vegas fans are pretty upset that their Vezina winner was just traded. That’s 100% due to cap space. The Golden Knights won’t die without him but some people likely consider it important.

I don’t know what else to say, contracts and cap space are interconnected in the NHL and front offices do find it important.

Reactions: hidek91

Alex NJD

Apr 28, 2015
Parsippany, New Jersey
Having Seabrook’s contract for three years isn’t exactly a treat, there’s a reason we got a 2nd to take one year of the Savard contract of Florida’s hands. They can fiddle with the roster this off-season to try to maximize the LTIR relief, but a lot of people seem to think they getting more from the Seabrook contract then they are. Being capped out prevents teams from accruing cap space which means no TDL unless you have an injured players on the LTIR. Granted Tampa can just wait for the almost inevitable annual Stamkos injury but if that doesn’t happen they don’t get stuff.

Adding Seabrook was about reducing the cost of dumping Johnson. Chicago must be thrilled to dump that without having to pay someone for it with assets. (Seabrook has a buyout proof contract and Johnson doesn’t.). Also, there are almost no centers on the market which likely made Chicago a little more open to TJ.

On that note, I have greatly reduced my 3C hopes, a bunch of teams are looking for one and everyone is repeating the same few names. I knew Danault was going to be in demand but, damn, Nick Bonino is going to get paid (going by how many Athletic articles mention him as a possible UFA target for various teams).

Pretty much. But at this point having Boqvist at 3C as a tradeoff to an offseason of Graves, Hamilton, a top 6 wing and a 1B goalie is a damn good tradeoff.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
Pretty much. But at this point having Boqvist at 3C as a tradeoff to an offseason of Graves, Hamilton, a top 6 wing and a 1B goalie is a damn good tradeoff.

I think at that point you're probably looking at Mikey as the 3c and Boqvist as the 4. Boqvist hasn't shown that he can outproduce Mikey and the latter throws his body around a little more, superior face off man, etc. Currently better suited for more ice time than Boqvist.

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
Cap issues don’t real until Tampa doesn’t lose it’s most valuable player? That’s kind of a ridiculous expectation, I consider cap space an issue when you can’t sign needed players and lose depth.

That's going to happen eventually no matter what. I'm not really sure what exactly is the point here. If only teams can just give their core players cheap deals so they can keep their bottom 6 guys around too on deals that are more than what they're worth!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad