GDT: Around the League 2020-21

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snipes45

May 26, 2020
Edmonton
Am I better off with SN Now or NHL Live? Game centre isn't an option since I don't have cable
I like NHL Live. Use a VPN for like $3 a month if you have to and you can even watch Oiler gams without a blackout if you don't have access to your tv

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
Toronto put Aaron Dell on waivers. Would think he would be a better alternative to Grosenick and since he's already in Canada he could suit up for the Oilers sooner.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006

“The goal for Spezza here is to buy a month where his nights off – an occasional rotation the Leafs were already doing with him last year – can have some cap flexibility, by sending him to the Taxi Squad (which operates like a pseudo-AHL from a cap perspective) rather than as a Healthy Scratch (where he would still accrue cap cost). They will have 30 days or 10 games played before they have to repeat this process with him – a process that I would not be surprised to see many teams do with their veterans this year with a bit of a “wink-wink” understanding between the various GMs.”

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

subnet

5-14-6-1
Sponsor
Nov 6, 2005
PacNW
I'm assuming if an American team grabbed him he wouldn't be able to suit up or practice for like a month so it probably minimizes the amount of teams willing to grab him.

From what I understand, there’s no mandatory quarantine like there is with players coming to Canada. So he could go anywhere in the USA and play that same night if necessary.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
So JT Miller was cleared by BC health to play. These shifting quarantine rules are hard to keep track of.

t0nedeff

Jun 29, 2010
From what I understand, there’s no mandatory quarantine like there is with players coming to Canada. So he could go anywhere in the USA and play that same night if necessary.
I really hope that isn't something the NHL is allowing to take place because its clearly a major disadvantage to almost a fourth of its league. Even if the States isn't enforcing that the NHL should be intervening to make the competitive advantage nil for the American teams.

Reactions: BlackDogg

North

Jun 25, 2009
It looked like they had less than the Coyotes did. I'm also surprised that TBay closed the rink to the fans.

TBay was one of the teams that dealt with an outbreak before the playins so that’s probably why they’re being careful.

Reactions: oilers'72

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta
TBay was one of the teams that dealt with an outbreak before the playins so that’s probably why they’re being careful.

They were one of the 4 rinks that were supposed to allow fans. But it looks like it'll be at least Feb. 5th.

Cal Foote to make NHL debut tonight in 2020-21 opener

Foote's debut will be unlike anything most NHL players have ever experienced. It will be played in front of an empty arena as AMALIE Arena won't host fans through at least February 5 due to an increase in COVID-19 cases in Hillsborough County.

Last edited:

subnet

5-14-6-1
Sponsor
Nov 6, 2005
PacNW
I really hope that isn't something the NHL is allowing to take place because its clearly a major disadvantage to almost a fourth of its league. Even if the States isn't enforcing that the NHL should be intervening to make the competitive advantage nil for the American teams.

Unfortunately, it's not up to the NHL, rather a Province/State/Country thing. I'm down in Oregon, my dad is in Medicine Hat. If I wanted to visit him, I'd 'have' to quarantine 14 days. The only reason I'd be able to visit is that I'm still a Canadian citizen. If he wanted to come down here, he'd only need a flight (or make the long drive) and have to wear a mask on the plane lol. He could go anywhere and do anything he wanted. Now, every state is different, but we're one of the more strict west-coast states. If he wanted to go to Texas, where I used to live, he wouldn't even need a mask - it's like 'normal times' down there...

So yes, it's a disadvantage to the Canadian clubs as they're really restricted in who they can claim/trade vs. the time they would actually get the player on their squad. With the 3 goalie mandate, the NHL really screwed the pooch in the waiver rules vs the quarantine period. m Too bad the NHL didn't think this one through...

Reactions: oilers'72

Weitz

Sep 23, 2014
Unfortunately, it's not up to the NHL, rather a Province/State/Country thing. I'm down in Oregon, my dad is in Medicine Hat. If I wanted to visit him, I'd 'have' to quarantine 14 days. The only reason I'd be able to visit is that I'm still a Canadian citizen. If he wanted to come down here, he'd only need a flight (or make the long drive) and have to wear a mask on the plane lol. He could go anywhere and do anything he wanted. Now, every state is different, but we're one of the more strict west-coast states. If he wanted to go to Texas, where I used to live, he wouldn't even need a mask - it's like 'normal times' down there...

So yes, it's a disadvantage to the Canadian clubs as they're really restricted in who they can claim/trade vs. the time they would actually get the player on their squad. With the 3 goalie mandate, the NHL really screwed the pooch in the waiver rules vs the quarantine period. m Too bad the NHL didn't think this one through...

the NHL does have a 7 day quarantine rule for any player. Superseded by local health rules where applicable. So for the Alberta teams as long as they fly into Calgary they can just do the 7 days.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad