GDT: Around the League 2020-21

Status
Not open for further replies.

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
We are just viewing it differently. You see it as Ottawa deciding to overpay. I see it as Ottawa thinking the value is fair and they are in a position to afford it.

Stepan is also a pending ufa after this season, so they may look at it as his value now, pay it,as a gamble to flip him for a larger return at the trade deadline

Reactions: Delicious Pancakes

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
Do teams have to carry 23 roster players with there being a taxi squad this year? I haven't seen that specified previously for this year. Otherwise Tampa could just keep their roster at 20 or 21 players and have a full 6 player taxi squad without making another roster move. If that's the case the taxi squad saves Tampa's bacon in case of injury with their cap situation as compared to in a normal year. Whereas if they need 23 roster players then they're still shy of cap space with only $1.158M in cap space if LTIR is maxed out.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Do teams have to carry 23 roster players with there being a taxi squad this year? I haven't seen that specified previously for this year. Otherwise Tampa could just keep their roster at 20 or 21 players and have a full 6 player taxi squad without making another roster move. If that's the case the taxi squad saves Tampa's bacon in case of injury with their cap situation as compared to in a normal year. Whereas if they need 23 roster players then they're still shy of cap space with only $1.158M in cap space if LTIR is maxed out.

The maximum is 23 players but they do not have to. Last year Toronto was often at 20 players which is the minimum you can carry I believe.

Reactions: Delicious Pancakes

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
I don’t think you know what circumventing means.
How is this not a form of cap circumvention? Tampa just traded two players and a pick for two players who will likely never played again and will get cap room + whatever benefit from stashing them on LTIR for the entire season. It's dumb and should have been removed from the CBA in the summer.

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
How is this not a form of cap circumvention? Tampa just traded two players and a pick for two players who will likely never played again and will get cap room + whatever benefit from stashing them on LTIR for the entire season. It's dumb and should have been removed from the CBA in the summer.

Dont worry, once the Oilers go ahead and broker such a deal, the league shall then take notice, close said loophole, then confiscate a 3rd round pick from us for their troubles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad