GDT: Around the League 2020-21 v4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
agree.

sorry the other point I wanted to make is I think a lot of media and peeps are sleeping on how much better Connor’s own zone game has improved. He’s been killing it this year.

McDavid is still struggling defensively imo. Still eager to fly the zone and very often when a missed assignment gets into a high danger scoring attempt it's all to often McDavid is trailing behind said high danger gaff. For a guy so fast I see him one or two steps behind opponents in the defensive zone all too often.

Watching the ever more responsible Draisaitl in comparison to McDavid is night and day different. Draisaitl is typically on the defensive side of the puck McDavid is not.

I'll agree he seems to be getting better but absolutely not there yet.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
I love the NHL is doing these outdoor games . Step ouside the ordinary to bring attention to the game beyond its traditional fanbase. It has risked and it’s a minor setback within a strategy that has been gangbusters.

In a covid year of such global real catastrophe this is a worthy effort to create some buzz and excitement. Unfortunate but forgiveable in my books.

Reactions: oilers'72

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Power outage in Buffalo.

They showed these stats last night for the Sabres and they are absolutely stunning.

Jack Eichel - 10,000,000 cap hit - 2 goals
Taylor Hall - 8,000,000 cap hit - 1 goal
Kyle Okposo - 6,000,000 cap hit - 0 goals
Jeff Skinner - 9,000,000 cap hit - 0 goal
Sam Reinhart - 5,200,000 cap hit - 3 goals (prior to his 2 goal "explosion" today)

Anyone still interested in Taylor Hall?

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
McDavid is still struggling defensively imo. Still eager to fly the zone and very often when a missed assignment gets into a high danger scoring attempt it's all to often McDavid is trailing behind said high danger gaff. For a guy so fast I see him one or two steps behind opponents in the defensive zone all too often.

Watching the ever more responsible Draisaitl in comparison to McDavid is night and day different. Draisaitl is typically on the defensive side of the puck McDavid is not.

I'll agree he seems to be getting better but absolutely not there yet.

the stats don’t bear out your eyeball impressions. He has been superlative. So too has Draisaitl whose more a traditional powerful centre with his faceoff and late game protection work.

EDIT: both have put on their workboots to focus and commit to their 200 foot game. They’re leading by example and it is showing significantlyy in their work rate and game in their end of the ice.

Last edited:

Tippetts Mustache

Jan 16, 2021
Anyone still interested in Taylor Hall?
I posted this on Twitter today. Stirring the pot a little bit.;)

But seriously, Taylor Hall doesn't look the same anymore. I'd be very wary of signing him long-term. As a rental for this season? For the right price, sure. He's not as bad as the numbers indicate. But I wouldn't give up much more than a first-rounder.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
the stats don’t bear out your eyeball impressions. He has been superlative. So too has Draisaitl whose more a traditional powerful centre with his faceoff and late game protection work.

My eyeballs tell me that both both Drai and McDavid are leaps and bounds better in their own zone than they were last year. Faceoffs as well.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I posted this on Twitter today. Stirring the pot a little bit.;)

But seriously, Taylor Hall doesn't look the same anymore. I'd be very wary of signing him long-term. As a rental for this season? For the right price, sure. He's not as bad as the numbers indicate. But I wouldn't give up much more than a first-rounder.
A first rounder for a rental that is not the same player that he was and his stats bear that out? Surely you jest, my man?

Tippetts Mustache

Jan 16, 2021
A first rounder for a rental that is not the same player that he was and his stats bear that out? Surely you jest, my man?
I think the Oilers will finish in the top 10 this season. It will be a mid-first-rounder at best. Hall would be rejuvenated if he came back to Edmonton, he's played on really poor teams in the last two seasons. I think it's worth it, to go for the cup in 97 and 29s prime years.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011

EDIT: both have put on their workboots to focus and commit to their 200 foot game. They’re leading by example and it is showing significantlyy in their work rate and game in their end of the ice.

My eyeballs tell me that both both Drai and McDavid are leaps and bounds better in their own zone than they were last year. Faceoffs as well.

Both are obviously trying to improve their two way game but I think you are both kidding me if you believe McDavid has been succeeding at it to the extent Draisaitl is. The difference between the two is very noticeable. Imo.

McDavid used to have a stellar two way game when he first entered the league but that fell off a cliff the two years. I'm glad he is putting his work boots back on.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011

I mentioned this in the Leaf Boards forum where they are busy promoting Nostrils as Best Player In The Universe.

Then I got thread banned and infracted.

Kane is easily a better Hart candidate right now than Nostrils.

Kane >>> Nostrils for best American player. Not even close. Swap the two and Nostrils would be run out of Chi-town on a railroad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad